Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2020 2:15:38 PM EDT
Looking into doing some rucking since the gyms are all closed and the elliptical is boring as all hell. I'll still be doing some lifting at home (mostly 5x5 stuff), but want to add something else into. How bad will it kill my knees and/or back? Any other pros or cons to it?
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I would start with a day pack and see how it goes, pick a nice trail with some inclines
and have at it. Up the weight with the pack ad you progress and listen to your body.
Legitimately rucking with heavy weight ( as intended) is extremely physical not only
to your back and knees but virtually every joint in between.

Take it slow and listen to your body.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 2:58:21 PM EDT
[#2]
You might want to wander over to and join ProfessionalSoldiers.com. You don't need to search too far to find all about Rucking.  There are lots of discussions about rucking to win while at SFAS and post Q workouts. The limits may seem extreme to some but remember these guys just want one thing,, to come home alive.

I have been out of active rucking for 45+ years, but it really has not changed all that much. Here is a note that was written by a friend explaining rucking in its simple form. There are very detailed discussions on such subtopics as boots, socks, weights, balance ect.

[Quote=written by The Reaper, Jan, 2004]
Rucking

Of the last SFAS class (and this is a continuing trend), almost 20% said that along with more rucking, more land nav training, more upper body workouts, more rope climbing, etc., they wished that they had prepared their feet better.

This is a significant number, and is worth addressing. I am posting it here because for some reason, newbies come here first and ignore the SFAS Forums.

Once you are infiltrated into the SFOA, most SF teams are foot mobile. There are exceptions, but regardless of whether you are parachuted, airmobiled, HALO, SCUBA, or even vehicle infiltrated, the average SF guy has to be prepared at all times to move by foot, for very long distances with heavy loads. 25 miles per day, cross country is not an unreasonable, and while the pace will vary, depending on the tactical situation, admin movements should average 4 mph or better. To do this, you and your feet have to be in shape.

Long range ruck movements are an evaluated task at SFAS, and tie into several other evaluated events. I would go as far as to say that while it is possible to complete SFAS with poorly conditioned feet, and members of this board have done it, it will significantly complicate the process. It slows you down, hurts like hell, and is likely to earn you some bad peers from your buddies when you are dragging your bad feet at the rear of the formation or are at sick call. Most other Phases of the SFQC have significant foot movement requirements as well.

You MUST walk long distances prior to arrival at SFAS in order to be successful. Studies show that arriving candidates who have not walked distances over 4 miles at the time in preparation for the selection course have almost ZERO possibility of making it. You must ruck, you must go at least 8-10 miles at least occasionally, you must learn to move out and maintain a good 13-14 minute mile pace on dirt or sand while walking, and it helps to do at least some of it cross country.

Loads in excess of 55-65 lbs are unnecessary in training and cause needless injury. At the same time, while starting rucking with light loads is okay, you do need to do some serious time under an ALICE pack with heavier loads in the 45-55 lb. range.
Tactical is not the same as admin rucking. Pace depends on the terrain and environment. Depends on the mission. Depends on the conditioning and load of the men rucking. Depends on the time you have available.

Personally, unless my feet are bothering me, I prefer move at a 13
minute/mile pace, to take breaks in the 60-90 minute range, and take the time to powder up, eat something, check gear and weapons, make commo, change socks, etc.

If you are humping alone, you set the pace and the breaks. If you are with someone else who is in charge, try to adapt to their schedule unless you really need a break.

I will say this. If you are trying to keep a 15 minute per mile pace going, every minute you sit puts you over 100 meters behind where you need to be. 10 minutes sitting means you have a klick to make up. If you do a consistent 14 minute/mile pace, you can break for about 4 minutes per hour, or 8 minutes every two hours. At a 13:00 per mile pace, I can take 8 minutes per hour, or 16 every two hours. Do not forget to allow for a safety margin in
case a ruck strap fails, you break a shoelace, you get a hot spot, the road gets muddy, etc. As an example, on a 12 mile ruck, I like to go at a 13:00 pace and move out for 90 minutes, take a 10 minute break, and have a 14 minute cushion for the last 6 miles, just in case.

At SFAS, you need to move as fast as you can, as long as you can, till someone tells you to stop. I would not go if I could not move out at a 13-14 minute per mile pace, with a heavy ruck and deep, sandy (or muddy) roads. On an ODA, the load will be much heavier, and the pace may, or may not be quicker.

It is possible to do 13 minute miles without running, but you can't improve them by using a computer. Find someone who can WALK, and go with them for a few weeks. At least find another slow guy, and push one another. There are only two ways to ruck faster. Take longer strides, or more of them. Immutable laws of time and physics apply, even in the Hoffman Triangle.

All events at SFAS are subject to evaluation against a standard which you will generally not be told. You will also be put in ambiguous situations, where asking a ridiculous number of questions, failing to follow instructions and generally making a nuisance out of yourself will get you eliminated as well.

If you cannot maintain a 15 minute mile average pace, including breaks, over sandy and unpaved roads with a 55 lb. ruck, LBE, and weapon, you are going to have a short and undistinguished career in SF. Every grunt in the 82nd has to do that, and many of them want to go SF and be held to HIGHER standards.

Do the math. 12 miles in less than 180 minutes. Take one five minute break every hour to check feet. 165 minutes. Allow a little extra time cushion so you are not at 11 miles with 4 minutes to go because you had to take a nature break, say, 15 minutes. 3:00:01 is as bad as 4:00:00 when 3:00:00 is the standard. 150 minutes, divided by 12 miles, is 12:30 miles.

Best score in my Infantry Basic Class was 1 hour and 35 minutes for 12 miles, along a paved road. Yes, he ran, and it is not recommended. Average time on my ODA was 2:30, cross country, with a heavier load, no one was over 2:45. Step out, lean into it, move with a purpose, and swing those arms.

As with all tasks at SFAS, perform all tasks exactly as instructed to the best of your abilities, whether you think you are being evaluated, or not. Don't be late, don't be light, don't be lost, and most of all, don't ever quit, if becoming SF is really your goal.

If you stick it out and are not selected, you got full benefit from the training, better understand your weaknesses, and know fully what to expect next time.

Good luck.
[End Quote]

Another way is to get a copy of Col(ret) Joe Martin's book Get Selected for SF.
As an aside 100% of the sales go to the Green Beret Foundation and to date I think Joe has contributed over 500K USD

https://www.amazon.com/Get-Selected-Special-Forces-Successfully/dp/0975355279

Good Luck, keep your feet dry, buy good socks and boots, remember rucking is a test of your body's ability to use what you teach it.

Link Posted: 4/12/2020 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Start slow and with low weight.  Won’t hurt your knees and back at all.  I never like using more than 45lbs for fitness.  

See more tips at goruck.com
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 7:58:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 7:42:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Why not just go for a run? Unless you are preparing for something where you are required to ruck, it would not be my first choice of things to do for fitness. You're being unnecessarily hard on your body by choosing rucking over some other cardio.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 8:39:44 AM EDT
[#6]
After doing multiple GORUCK events including a 50 mile star course, I can tell you the two biggest things to tend to are your feet and your back. Start light with a ruck, meaning 5-10#, and do a mile and see how you feel. Remember, the hurt doesn't start until a hour or two after you've finished.

You need to take special care of your feet. Lots of people drop because of foot problems. Make sure your shoes fit. Any movement of your foot inside your shoes cause hotspots and blisters. Make sure that fit is tight, but not cut off circulation. I used Merrell MOAB boots for a tough/light combo and Salomon XA 3D Pros for the 50mile course. Neither are waterproof. Both breath well. You don't want waterproof footwear. If water gets in, it doesn't come out.

Don't wear cotton anything. Cotton holds moisture and rubs/chafs. All synthetic, wicking clothing. There's plenty out there. I use Russell Athletic shorts/shirts for workouts/events. Tesla compression shorts underneath and Prince tennis socks. No natural fibers, all synthetic.

Remember, you're putting more weight on to walk. Start slow and light and gradually work into it. You're abs might be sore as well to begin with. Until your back gets stronger, your abs are going to try to compensate. Walk upright and don't slouch or hunch over.

Lastly, get a rucking partner. It always goes faster with a buddy. You'll also find yourselves pushing each other here and there. Training in a pair or group makes it feel better that you're not alone. Check the GORUCK website to find Ruck Clubs near you. Have fun.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 9:36:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Just don't run with the ruck and you'll be fine. Throw a light/moderate pack on and go for a casual stroll. Slowly increase the weight and distance, eventually get a nicer pack and shoes (honestly a decent hiking/trail pack and similar shoes are among the best), and work up to a brisk paced walk (not a run/jog/trot like the military guys do; you're not trying to get into special ops or anything) with a 40+ lb pack on rolling trails and it's a pleasant way to do cardio
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 3:03:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I started in February, 3 day pack withb44lbs

My left foot below my big toe is always raw, the right foot gets raw too but no where near as bad..

I’ve tried 2 sets of hiking shoes, with wool socks.  Now I am using my brooks jogging shoes with better results.

I can go 4 miles then my left foot starts to burn and is raw

I don’t plan on stopping but I’ll probably invest in tape or foot creams

My knees and back have been fine, I have back problems as it is, if anything it’s better.  If I can swing the pack on and not throw my back out, I’m good
View Quote

I’ve probably tried a dozen pairs of shoes, a variety of wool, Cotton and synthetic socks since I found goruck.   Nothing is perfect and nothing works for everyone.  

My twin brother had a sock shoe combo that he used new out of the box to complete a GORUCK heavy.   I tried the same combo and got blisters.  

Just keep trying stuff till you find the right thing.  Some shoes worked great and one weight but gave me blisters with more weight.  Some combos worked great when it was dry and made my feet wet when it rained.  

I completed the Jacksonville 50miler Star course in wool socks with a liner sock and New Balance trail runners.  Zero blisters but did have an ankle swell up massively.   Finished though.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 7:07:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I started in February, 3 day pack withb44lbs

My left foot below my big toe is always raw, the right foot gets raw too but no where near as bad..

I’ve tried 2 sets of hiking shoes, with wool socks.  Now I am using my brooks jogging shoes with better results.

I can go 4 miles then my left foot starts to burn and is raw

I don’t plan on stopping but I’ll probably invest in tape or foot creams

My knees and back have been fine, I have back problems as it is, if anything it’s better.  If I can swing the pack on and not throw my back out, I’m good
View Quote

Try leukotape P. That's the only way I can get over 3 miles without my feet being covered in hot spots. That tape is extremely sticky, so you shouldn't have any problems with it moving. If anything, it will be "fun" getting off.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Try leukotape P. That's the only way I can get over 3 miles without my feet being covered in hot spots. That tape is extremely sticky, so you shouldn't have any problems with it moving. If anything, it will be "fun" getting off.
View Quote

Leukotape is great stuff.  I’d try a different sock/shoe combo if three miles is the limit.  There’s shoes out there that will fix that.  Just don’t know which.  

Fox River liner socks aren’t much more than a roll of leukotape and were helpful to me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Leukotape is great stuff.  I’d try a different sock/shoe combo if three miles is the limit.  There’s shoes out there that will fix that.  Just don’t know which.  

Fox River liner socks aren’t much more than a roll of leukotape and were helpful to me.
View Quote

This is something that drives me crazy. I finally found a combination that worked for me - Danner Tachyons and Darn Tough socks. Almost immediately was able to get up to 6 miles with no hot spots. Stopped rucking for a few months, and when I started again, hot spots (bottom of heel and balls of feet) came back with that same combination. Even trying to slowly build back up the mileage never fixed it. No idea what happened.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Unless you have a purpose for rucking, I.e. back packing, military, etc, it would seem there are much more efficient and less potentially physically harming ways of exercising.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 5:19:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By JBFJ40:

Leukotape is great stuff.  I’d try a different sock/shoe combo if three miles is the limit.  There’s shoes out there that will fix that.  Just don’t know which.  

Fox River liner socks aren’t much more than a roll of leukotape and were helpful to me.
View Quote

I think I finally figured out the problem... my fat feet got even fatter

I gained about 5lbs from when they fit well to having problems. I just tried them on for the first time in months after gaining another 10lbs and my feet are suddenly extremely cramped. They don't even feel comfortable completely unlaced.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I do a good bit of Rucking, mixing it with running and lifting (when gyms are open) and trying to do bodyweight stuff, but its nowhere near as fun.

I have a GoRuck with 30 lbs in it. Do everything from 3ish miles up to 15 depending on the course and what I am trying to get out of it. I also mix it up and do a small workout on the mile with the ruck, throw in some squats, OHP, upright and bent over rows typically on the mile.

I think its a good tool in the shed, but I wouldnt throw all in on rucking, unless you need to for a certain criteria, i.e. military, ruck events, etc.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:15:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 3:53:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By cruze5:
i ended up spending some time on the goruck site and ordered the new boots and the onsale no return gr1 smaller size pack.   the pack is alot better than my 3 day pack comfort wise

started at 7:10 am about an hour after my morning oatmeal.    previously i couldn't get past 4 miles today i went close to 5 miles and could have gone more.... 

i ended up getting a half size Smaller boot than i normally wear...      

my foot is still somewhat beat up.   but my left foot is Nothing like it normally is
View Quote

I don't have a pair of MAC-V 1s, but the people I talk to that have them say they are awesome. Much better than the OCR-type shoes they used before. The feet will still get beat a little, but that's because you're on your feet with weight.

Now that you have a GORUCK ruck, you need a patch and to find a ruck club to workout with. It's way better with people.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#17]
My own experience, YMMV. Start with like 10 lbs and just walking as fast as you can. Gradually increase the weight up to 25-35 lbs. If you take more than a day to recover, you went overboard.
I rucked last year and got in really good shape, BUT it's hard on your knees. I would only walk/run with weight on my back 1x a week, the rest of the week it was stairmaster and treadmill workouts.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I definitely agree start light. I went in February to a Battle Buddies hike locally, load was 35lb, distance to qualify for Provisional was 3 miles @3mph. Without doing any sort of prep, I was sore for 2 days.

Since it warmed up, I’m doing 2 laps around the property in 13min (approximately .8 miles) and doing one day with a ruck, next day just LBE. With two hills, it sucks. But I’m improving quickly, so just take it slow and don’t hurt anything. Or do
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:09:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Unless you have a purpose for rucking, I.e. back packing, military, etc, it would seem there are much more efficient and less potentially physically harming ways of exercising.
View Quote

This would be my view. Sure,  anything might help.  But that juice isn't worth the squeeze.

I look at what works.  I know a lot of people doing basic barbell or cardio routines with good results. Its pretty proven.  

Everyone i know that carries heavy gear has tons of chronic pain and joint issues.  

I think it's very far from optimal unless you need to train for carrying heavy gear.  Like competition or military.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 6:23:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I started rucking about a month ago. I was working from home and since I was sitting in the basement with the treadmill, I figured why not use it.  I started running again, but it was killing my knees for some reason.  I could only run a couple times a week even with icing and a butt load of motrin.  For some reason I can ruck for 90 minutes and I feel good.

I'm hauling a LBT 3 day pack with a concrete block in it wrapped in towels.  The whole thing weighs in at about 30 lbs.   I have pretty much settled on a 5 mile course around the house and was making a 77 minute loop on my first go. My best time is down to 68 and change with the average at around 70 minutes now.  I think if I can consistently hit 68, I'll bump up the weight another 5 lbs or so.

I'm wearing Keen hiking boots, Cabelas medium weight hiking socks and Fox River liner socks.   I started getting blisters on the side of my heels and the tips of my toes since the curl down.  Liner socks have helped a bunch and vaseline on my toes does too.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 5:46:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

just  few weeks into my new gear i am almost at 6 miles.      i am fortunate enough to just have foot problems so far.  which seems normal/ common

i had wanted to try this 2 times a week. possibly more.     i need to listen to what my body might be telling me

i am doing this to get out of the house, keep my heart rate up.    and its keeping my back from going out
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This would be my view. Sure,  anything might help.  But that juice isn't worth the squeeze.

I look at what works.  I know a lot of people doing basic barbell or cardio routines with good results. Its pretty proven.  

Everyone i know that carries heavy gear has tons of chronic pain and joint issues.  

I think it's very far from optimal unless you need to train for carrying heavy gear.  Like competition or military.

just  few weeks into my new gear i am almost at 6 miles.      i am fortunate enough to just have foot problems so far.  which seems normal/ common

i had wanted to try this 2 times a week. possibly more.     i need to listen to what my body might be telling me

i am doing this to get out of the house, keep my heart rate up.    and its keeping my back from going out

That's kind of my point. Foot problems being normal and common.  As long as you're happy have at it,  but there's other ways to workout that might be a little lower impact.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Looking into doing some rucking since the gyms are all closed and the elliptical is boring as all hell. I'll still be doing some lifting at home (mostly 5x5 stuff), but want to add something else into. How bad will it kill my knees and/or back? Any other pros or cons to it?
View Quote

Where in Az are you?

Throw on a Camelbak with a 3L bladder of water in it (6.6lbs water weight) and find some dirt roads near your house.  Powerline roads are a good start.  As they cross washes there will be some inclines and such.  Nothing major unless you pick hills.  Set a timer and ruck out for 45 minutes, when the timer goes off, turn around and go back.  See how you feel.

Adjust weight/distance/terrain as necessary.

Sensible footwear is a must.

I am fortunate that I have some undeveloped land near my house, with powerline roads that lead off into the mountains.  So I can warm up with a few miles of semi-maintained dirt roads, and then be at the foothills of the mountains, ready to climb.  It sucks and it hurts, but in a good way, and the reward of the view from the top of the ridges makes it totally worth it.  Walking up steep mountains and climbing with weight is a totally different animal than a road march.  Both are great.

Fellas at work and I use old pant legs, cut up, to make cheap bags, fill with sand, stitch up, in 5 and 10lb increments.  Then wrap in duct tape to prevent leaks, spills, and make waterproof.  Throw a few into a proper pack to begin adding weight, 5, 10, 15, 20lbs at a time.  Just don't get pulled over and give consent to have your rucksack searched, they look like cartel bricks.

Both my knees have issues sometimes, but I get a lot of support out of simple neoprene wraps.

A proper pack, properly adjusted, will give you zero back issues other than just handling the load of the weight.

Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:12:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Where in Az are you?

Throw on a Camelbak with a 3L bladder of water in it (6.6lbs water weight) and find some dirt roads near your house.  Powerline roads are a good start.  As they cross washes there will be some inclines and such.  Nothing major unless you pick hills.  Set a timer and ruck out for 45 minutes, when the timer goes off, turn around and go back.  See how you feel.

Adjust weight/distance/terrain as necessary.

Sensible footwear is a must.

I am fortunate that I have some undeveloped land near my house, with powerline roads that lead off into the mountains.  So I can warm up with a few miles of semi-maintained dirt roads, and then be at the foothills of the mountains, ready to climb.  It sucks and it hurts, but in a good way, and the reward of the view from the top of the ridges makes it totally worth it.  Walking up steep mountains and climbing with weight is a totally different animal than a road march.  Both are great.

Fellas at work and I use old pant legs, cut up, to make cheap bags, fill with sand, stitch up, in 5 and 10lb increments.  Then wrap in duct tape to prevent leaks, spills, and make waterproof.  Throw a few into a proper pack to begin adding weight, 5, 10, 15, 20lbs at a time.  Just don't get pulled over and give consent to have your rucksack searched, they look like cartel bricks.

Both my knees have issues sometimes, but I get a lot of support out of simple neoprene wraps.

A proper pack, properly adjusted, will give you zero back issues other than just handling the load of the weight.

View Quote
Havasu..... it's to damn hot......
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:43:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Havasu..... it's to damn hot......
View Quote

Heat, when managed well, adds stress and affords adaptation.  I ruck in the late afternoon and into the night.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top