Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2020 1:26:12 AM EDT
Moved in to a new house.  It has a low voltage cabinet that had a 66 block wired with 20 car5 cables.  Ripped out the 66 block, and terminated all the cat5.  Placed a switch inside the cabinet.

Checked all connections: SAT.

Mapped each connection, and marked the wires with toe tags: SAT.

Checked cat5 short wires: SAT.

Checked my wiring with a cable tester: SAT.

"Measured" length of cat5 inside wall from where router is to switch with a LinkRunner: 72 feet.

Pulled switch out of cabinet, and placed it 5 feet from router. Connected with same cat5 short wire: link lights on switch.

Wire from router, to wall plate, to media cabinet, to switch:  NO LINK LIGHT ON SWITCH or ON ROUTER.

Try a different switch: NO LINK LIGHT ON SWITCH or ON ROUTER.

Any thoughts?  
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 1:53:05 AM EDT
[#1]
If the cables were on a 66 block then they were probably wired for telephone. You should check the connectors on each end and ensure they are both wired for the T568A or T568B standard.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 4:55:30 AM EDT
[#2]
If premade cable works and your wiring doesn't, your wiring is clearly to blame. You've said you terminated all the pairs, but if you have, you haven't done so correctly.

Ring out your pairs and verify each endpoint. And maybe your existing wiring isn't twisted appropriately for your intended traffic.

25-pair on a 66-block has an intended bandwidth of about 4KHz, and a usable bandwidth of 10-20MHz... potentially.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#3]
66 block was removed.  All wires were traced, terminated WO-O-WG-B-BW-G-WB-B.  

All were tested with a cable tester.  Each wire lit up the corresponding light on the other end.

Unless there's some weird splice/RF choke on BOTH wires that run from the office to the low voltage block, I am stumped.  Getting ready to go in attic and hand-over-hand each run.  78 feet shouldn't prevent data signal.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#4]
SOLVED:  I used monoprice toolless cat5 wall jacks.  They were a PITA to install.  I DID test them with a cable tester.  Each run lit up the lights correctly, in the right order.

Chopped the monoprice jacks out, terminated then with cat 5 jacks, used a union, BANG!, router gets to the switch to move my data!

/THREAD
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Watch those unions. Some of them aren't data rated. I've seen more than a few that were just a mess of wires inside and wouldn't hardly do 100mbps. Usually the data rated ones use two jacks soldered on a PCB.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Watch those unions. Some of them aren't data rated. I've seen more than a few that were just a mess of wires inside and wouldn't hardly do 100mbps. Usually the data rated ones use two jacks soldered on a PCB.
View Quote

I'll do a speed check, but 100 mbps > 0 mbps
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top