Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2020 9:46:02 AM EDT
I have 2 yr old  bines of 120 Cascade and 30 Chinook to play with and make mistakes in brewing. I'm ready to try home brewing for the first time, I bought a 50lb bag of barley that is raw and will need roasted and malted. Inherited a Mr. Beer kit and plenty of bottles from my dad.
What is the easiest way to process the grains to be able to boil?
Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 3:34:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 7:32:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy a complete 2.5 gallon extract kit. It will be infinitely easier if you've never attempted this to not start out in a hole. Follow the instructions provided with your kit. Sanitize sanitize and sanitize again.

Never done homebrewing?  Crawl walk run.
Mr beer, LME extract, all grain
When you learn the rules, then you can bend them.. Been doing this for 8 years and I'm still learning.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 5:19:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys! I ordered some yeast and extracts, gonna dive in.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have 2 yr old  bines of 120 Cascade and 30 Chinook to play with and make mistakes in brewing. I'm ready to try home brewing for the first time, I bought a 50lb bag of barley that is raw and will need roasted and malted. Inherited a Mr. Beer kit and plenty of bottles from my dad.
What is the easiest way to process the grains to be able to boil?
Thanks for your help!
View Quote

No offense, but I would chuck the Mr. Beer kit in the trash, and go buy an $80 kit from a local homebrew shop. Save you some headaches down the road.
Also, malting is hard. If you really want to do it, that's fine. You may be better off buying malted barley in 50 lb bags from a good homebrew shop.

Base malt is malted and then kiln dried, but I don't believe it's "roasted" at all.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 10:16:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Also, it takes the same amount of time to brew 5 gallons as two.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 7:32:22 AM EDT
[#6]
So I brewed up a mix of grains and malts that my dad had given me for an IPA, followed all the directions and sanitized like crazy. Used my Cascade and Chinook hops and kept track of my recipe. Going into secondary fermentation with more hops after 2 weeks.
Smells amazing and carboy is bubbling like crazy. Right now I'm dehydrating the barley I germinated to make my own malt just because I can.
This is a fun hobby and I plan to do more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top