Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/24/2021 1:48:56 PM EDT
No surprise...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/24/politics/mitt-romney-trump-impeachment-cnntv/index.html

Romney: Impeachment trial after Trump has left office is constitutionalDevan Cole byline
By Devan Cole, CNN

Updated 11:20 AM ET, Sun January 24, 2021
Sen. Romney: Senate trial after Trump leaving office is constitutional

"I'll of course hear what the lawyers have to say for each side. But I think it's pretty clear that the effort is constitutional," Romney told CNN's Dana Bash on "State of the Union."
The Utah Republican said that he's reviewed law review articles, which have shown that "the preponderance of the legal opinion is that an impeachment trial after someone has left office is constitutional."
"I believe that what is being alleged and what we saw, which is incitement to insurrection, is an impeachable offense. If not, what is?" Romney said, referring to the impeachment article passed by the House earlier this month that charges Trump with inciting the deadly US Capitol riot on January 6.

The comments from Romney, the only Republican senator to vote to convict Trump during his first impeachment trial, come one day before the House is set to formally walk the article of impeachment over to the Senate. The chamber plans to begin the former President's trial next month.
Several Republican senators, including Tom Cotton of Arkansas, Joni Ernst of Iowa and Roger Marshall of Kansas, have said they don't think it would be constitutional to convict Trump in the Senate after he's left office.
The Constitution doesn't specifically address convicting an ex-president but simply says "The President," vice president and all civil officers "shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors." A January 15 Congressional Research Service report noted most scholars have concluded that Congress does have the authority to impeach and convict a former president.

A number of congressional Democrats have also dismissed the argument that trying Trump is unconstitutional. Connecticut Sen. Richard Blumenthal blasted such claims as "bogus," saying that "there's nothing in the Constitution that prevents any federal officer from being tried after they're out of office."
While Romney appeared to support a trial in the Senate, he told Bash on Sunday the chamber shouldn't punish two of his GOP colleagues -- Sens. Josh Hawley of Missouri and Ted Cruz of Texas -- for their role in objecting to the election results earlier this month. Seven Senate Democrats, in a filed complaint last week, called for the the Ethics Committee to investigate how their objections to the Electoral College votes on January 6 may have contributed to inciting the violent Capitol insurrection.

"I think history will provide a measure of judgment with regard to those that continue to spread the lie that the (former) President began with, as well as the voters in our respective communities," Romney said. "I don't think the Senate needs to take action."
Democratic Rep. Madeleine Dean of Pennsylvania, one of the House impeachment managers, told Bash later in the program that it was "heartening" to see bipartisan support for Trump's impeachment earlier this month, adding she hopes "more and more elected officials will pay attention to their oath and see the egregious high crimes and misdemeanors" that the House says Trump committed.
The former president's upcoming trial has worried some Democrats, who are concerned that it could get in the way of legislative priorities in the early days of President Joe Biden's tenure.
Dean said she expects the trial to move faster than Trump's first impeachment trial did last year, but cautioned that it's important for Congress not to "turn the page" on the matter too quickly.
This story has been updated with additional developments Sunday.
CNN's Holmes Lybrand and Tara Subramaniam contributed to this report.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Romney is like a women with his little grudge that has lasted over 4 years. He is still pissed about the primary debates where Trump talked mad shit.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Romney is going to side with the Left 99% of the time.

There was some sort of deal made where they essentially said "we'll let you in the club but you are the new John McCain."
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't think of a bigger piece of shit than that fucking asshole
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:52:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Fuck that guy.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Why can't Utah get rid of his ass?  

I kinda hope he slips up and does something morally offensive to Mormons.  Abortion maybe?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Romney severely overplayed his hand from day one in the Senate.  After running for President he thought he would step in and be a leader in an office he’d never been in before. I think he pissed Mitch and the other Republicans off immediately and has been blackballed since.  Hopefully he gets his ass primaried out in a couple of years.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Whogivesafuq.gif
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Romney is a giant cunt and a piece of shit
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:57:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Romney is a giant cunt and a piece of shit
View Quote

That's a BINGO!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:57:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Have we identified who is going to primary Romney? Id like to know where to send a check.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#13]
How the fuck can you remove someone who has already been removed???
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Has Utah made any headway on recalling this guy?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#15]
He will support the removal of Paul, Cruz and anyone else who did anything to publicly side with Trump or question election results.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:59:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey Reek.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Romney is a petty little man.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Romney is an excellent example of what is wrong with politicians, Romney is only out for what is good for himself and friends
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:03:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Technically the effort is probably constitutional.  You can try to impeach without a crime being committed.  Actually voting for it should be a violation of the oath of office.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:06:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:08:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Judging by the comments on KSL news articles, there are more than enough liberal and commies in Utah to vote him back in.  He's more democrat than a lot of other self avowed democrats.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:09:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I hope Trump has found a good primary candidate in Utah for Mit-Wit.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
There is not a recall provision available here. I don't see any strong contenders stepping up to primary him. I hope I'm wrong though. I hate that carpetbagger SOB...
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Why? Just why?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#27]
McCain 2.0
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Does that twinkled toed communist cocksucker understand that you cant impeach a private citizen?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:17:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Romney will be the next Republican to switch to the Democrat Party.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#31]
JFC OP  clean up the extra crap in the first post.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#32]
It really makes little sense, is the gop that out of touch or just retarded?

Sure Trump could try to run again in a gop primary but what is far more dangerous to the gop is Trump living by the feud on their ass, starting a third party, and cutting the gop off at the fucking knees, never to recover.

The cabal the gop is putting together to see Trump stand trial in the senate could very well end them.....Hope springs eternal in that regard.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:20:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

McCain is but he is dead.

Flake is.

McConnell is.

Ryan was.

Pelosi, Schumer, any Democrat...but I tire of listing human debris.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Diversity
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Why? Just why?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Damn he's a little bitch,fucking spinless POS with no honor.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:23:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Romney is an excellent example of what is wrong with politicians, Romney is only out for what is good for himself and friends
View Quote

You are right about most politicians: only out for themselves and their biggest supporters. However, in Romney's case it appears that Trump hate has mentally unbalanced him. He has at least as many mental health and emotional issues as he has career politician values.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:23:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

A conviction in the senate will prevent Trump from ever holding public office again.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:25:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It really makes little sense, is the gop that out of touch or just retarded?

Sure Trump could try to run again in a gop primary but what is far more dangerous to the gop is Trump living by the feud on their ass, starting a third party, and cutting the gop off at the fucking knees, never to recover.

The cabal the gop is putting together to see Trump stand trial in the senate could very well end them.....Hope springs eternal in that regard.
View Quote

I think the gop is completely fine with that.  The more seats and "power " that they lose just means what token push back was happening can be eased and they can go full on graft. Just my opinion
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#41]
How in the F does the Senate 'Impeach' a private citizen? I don't get it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#42]
My sense of shame from voting that cunt gets worse by the day.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:28:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Duh and/or hello
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:28:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

I dunno.  Schumer is pretty high on the list.
Mittens is top five for sure
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

My sense of shame from voting that cunt gets worse by the day.
View Quote

2012 was funny watching the NRA Swamp promoting Mittens as the world’s greatest supporter of the 2nd Amendment and more than half of GD lapping it up.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You are right about most politicians: only out for themselves and their biggest supporters. However, in Romney's case it appears that Trump hate has mentally unbalanced him. He has at least as many mental health and emotional issues as he has career politician values.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was a communist fellow Traveller decades before TDS was a thing.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

??
Let us know ,so we can send money to help .
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Why can't Utah get rid of his ass?  

I kinda hope he slips up and does something morally offensive to Mormons.  Abortion maybe?
View Quote

Take care of your own garbage.

He has an R next his name and a lot of money so people vote for him.  

I didn't vote for him but we have plenty of liberals here who have.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#49]
... What an asshole!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:34:39 PM EDT
[#50]
He's just like the people who want him to work for them. No soul, just feed them beast's blood.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top