Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2020 11:25:57 AM EDT
I've gotten many compliments and several requests for the supply list so I thought it might be easier to make a thread!
5- 2x4x8 foot3- 1/2" plywood sheets
2 dollies from harbor freight they're rated at #1,000 lbs and are 2' wide
Chalk line
2" and 3" self tapping deck screws

Back (plywood)75" x 48" one piece
Sides (plywood) 75" x 23.5" two pieces
Shelves 23.5" apart from surface to surface
Back and front boards for shelves47" x 7 (2x4)
Side boards for shelves  20.5" x6 (2x4)
Decking 23.5" x 47" x3

You'll need a circular saw, drill, tape measure, carpenters square. Take your time and get good square cuts and exact measurements on your cuts!
https://www.harborfreight.com/24-in-x-16-in-1000-lbs-capacity-solid-deck-hardwood-dolly-56782.html
This is the dolly you need to get
Drill pilot holes in it and screw directly to the bottom shelf. You will need to have a half inch of the dolly exposed on the side of the shelf and on the back of the shelf. This let's the plywood sit directly on dolly itself so the entire weight of the completed shelf is not completely being held up by the screws in it. It's easiest to build the base then attach the back (screwing into the 2x4's) then lay it on it's back to attach the sides and other two shelves.
You should also take time to make sure that the overall height will clear the garage door. I want to say they're standard, but I highly doubt it.

Link Posted: 11/21/2020 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#2]
For those of you who missed the garage thread, let me give you the sales pitch!
These cost (pre corona shortages) about $150 each. They are just tall enough to be able to roll out of the garage. Just wide enough that it can be tipped over into the back of a truck and fit perfectly too. In fact I built mine and filled them with our junk and when we moved I didn't even take the junk out. Shelf and junk tipped over into my truck. Drove to the new house and slid them out and then rolled them into the garage!
Since they are easily moved you can rethink your floor plan whenever you want! Once you build shelves that are tied into the wall, it's expensive to change your mind. I've set our new garage up several different ways so far, while in my quest to find the best layout. Or maybe I just liked Tetris! One of the best things is that when we have a party the shelves can be turned backwards so guests just see the plywood sides and back and not all if our dusty junk covered in cobwebs! It also makes cleaning easy because the shelves can be rolled out of the garage or even just out of the way temporarily.

The workbench became a thing after I did some measuring in the new garage and realized I would have to down size my original idea of a standard work bench. Main difference was I adjusted the shelf height and spacing added a couple power strips and mounted my cordless chargers. With an extension cord connected to the power strips I can roll the workbench to wherever my work is! Project in the driveway is simpler when I don't have to go back and forth to a stationary bench as opposed to having the bench at my fingertips! And when we entertain I can just roll another shelf up against it to hide my junk instead of trying to clean it all up.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#3]
One sheet of plywood will be used for the shelf decking (3 pieces) and will leave a fourth piece that is a little short but it can also be used to make a top shelf. Just grab some 2" furring strips with the other stuff. This project leaves little excess from the supply list. Almost no wasted lumber.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/21/2020 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#4]
5- 2x4x8 foot3- 1/2" plywood sheets
View Quote

Is that sizing in 4 dimensions?

ETA:

Guessing these were accidently concatenated and should have looked like:

5- 2x4x8 foot
3- 1/2" plywood sheets
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 2:59:50 PM EDT
[#5]
5 sheets of 4'x8' half inch plywood. And 5 8 foot long 2x4's. I started getting IM's for the supplies needed and I realized my notes could be confusing. Which is why I started the thread so I wouldn't have to explain my notes over and over. IOW thanks for asking!
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the new thread.

Nice work!
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Funny story we had a few friends over for Halloween and one of them asked what the huge box was for. Then I showed her that it was four of the shelves pushed together to give us more elbow room in the garage. She thought it was one gigantic box.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#9]
BTT because I don't want to lose this thread before I see results of the members that were going to make them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top