Poll fail.

I have owned a Submariner.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This has been a fun thread.
I knew a lot of you guys were sub guys

I am sorry I only got 6 answers or I would have added about other Rolex sport models

@giazkaeta
That model of Grand Seiko has about a 7 - 10 month waiting list, and are going for over MSRP as well new

For you guys with older models.
You should atleast play with a newwer model.  It is amazing how much heavier the new stuff is.

View Quote

The build quality of the 12x series is outstanding.

The pinnacle of a mass produced stainless dive watch.

Also at MSRP is a far stronger buy than any preowned model.

Which means days of getting a collection for $15-20k (multiple watches) is gone.

[Tudor enters chat]
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought i wouldn't settle for anything other than a Submariner....until i went to an Omega AD and saw the Seamaster when traveling through NJ.  I came home and told my wife about it and for my 50th birthday last year, she surprised me with this one.

Link Posted: 11/7/2021 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I thought i wouldn't settle for anything other than a Submariner....until i went to an Omega AD and saw the Seamaster when traveling through NJ.  I came home and told my wife about it and for my 50th birthday last year, she surprised me with this one.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50615509491_2320a7244e_c.jpg
View Quote

I have an older Seamaster (my daily and I’m wearing it now).  I thought the wave dial was a huge mistake by Omega when it first came out, but I have to admit it’s grown on me. Great looking watch.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 2:06:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50615509491_2320a7244e_c.jpg
View Quote

Sharp!
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 3:56:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

(snip)

You should atleast play with a newwer model.  It is amazing how much heavier the new stuff is.

View Quote

Many of the updates have changed too much of the character of the watch.

The current reference has my attention though.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(snip)

The glidelock is a game changer for me......I appreciate the earlier references and absolutely love them but for everyday use the glidelock hard to beat IMHO
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you like the 5 digits - the 41 wears like one that’s been at the gym. Works and wears smaller IMO than the 114060/116610.

The AR on the crystal is a game changer.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The glidelock is a game changer for me......I appreciate the earlier references and absolutely love them but for everyday use the glidelock hard to beat IMHO
View Quote

This x100, that glidelock is great for me as I often find myself using it a few times a day when coming or going from inside to outside on hot or cold days. Its so easy to adjust and get a great fit easily. I wish it was on all the sport models at the very least.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you like the 5 digits - the 41 wears like one that’s been at the gym. Works and wears smaller IMO than the 114060/116610.

The AR on the crystal is a game changer.
View Quote

I did not know that Rolex used an AR coating on the crystal of the new Submariner, that is something I always hoped they would do.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 9:01:13 PM EDT
[#11]
PSA: 14060M in EE. Not me.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
PSA: 14060M in EE. Not me.
View Quote

Good price.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Good price.
View Quote

That is a solid price.
I have a theory - I think we will see a market saturation on subs and prices will start to come down this year on the pre-owned market. Not on the highly desirable collectible watches, but on the more common references.
Tudor BB scratches the itch for me right now, but I am  looking for a sub in the long term.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 11:25:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That is a solid price.
I have a theory - I think we will see a market saturation on subs and prices will start to come down this year on the pre-owned market. Not on the highly desirable collectible watches, but on the more common references.
Tudor BB scratches the itch for me right now, but I am  looking for a sub in the long term.
View Quote

Down no - stabilize yes.

Historically they have never dropped in market value, as the new bottom becomes benchmark.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 11:52:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Sub doesn’t get worn much cause it’s gone stupid in price so the gmt gets the most wrist time.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I owned a Sub that I bought in 1984 for $550.00.  Over the years I spent far more than that having to get it rebuilt three times.  Yes, I'm tough on a watch.  I was doing scuba several times a month in the Gulf and competively shooting.  On the last time it broke, I sold it for parts and bought an Omega Seamaster.
View Quote

I'm with you, I've had 3 Rolex's a Sub no date from the early 80's, a Thunderbird Date 1624 late 70's and a 16030 Datejust late 70's. I wish I had all the moneys back I spent to keep them running. I'm tough on watches. I now buy the Seiko 007's they never fail.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#17]
16610 - 1984

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I hear the Black Bay 58 is the new no-date Sub.

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 6:47:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sea Dweller owner since 2004.  
Runs like a champ.
View Quote

Sub owner since 2004,
Runs like a champ.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I threw my name in for a GMT2 at the local AD.  We shall see.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 1:04:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

BLNR or BLRO?
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Been on a waitlist for 6-months so far.

One day I’ll have a sub and then a black dial GMT and I’ll be done.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

BLNR or BLRO?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BLNR or BLRO?

I asked her for the Pepsi and Jubilee bracelet.  In hindsight I don't care which bracelet.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I asked her for the Pepsi and Jubilee bracelet.  In hindsight I don't care which bracelet.  
View Quote

Good choice.  IMO, the jubilee is phenomenal
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 9:56:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have no connection to it, but there is a
There is a new Pepsi  with a jubilee bracelet for sale on the EE

Link Posted: 2/1/2022 10:08:54 PM EDT
[#27]
It's on my lottery want list.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've never fallen for the "ooohh its a Rolex" thing.

I simply love the design and styling of it.

It is timeless.

If Casio made a Submariner exactly as Rolex does, I would wear it.
View Quote

I’d Casio took the Duro and added sapphire crystal and super liminova, and ceramic bezel they would slay that market. I have a duro’s and the rock. Lume sucks and crystal scratches easily
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 11:53:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I had both a milestone birthday and a milestone wedding anniversary in 2021, so the plan was for my wife and I to each get new Rolex to celebrate.  I was fortunate to purchase a new submariner from the AD at MSRP, and we are still waiting for the DJ31 for my wife.

Submariner prices are crazy right now.    I will never sell, but market price on my watch is now 2x what I paid.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Had one, didn't like it as much as my G-Shock, sold it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I’d buy one, maybe, possibly, one day. But probably a GS diver first. For me, a submariner is not worth these two combined.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 7:58:13 AM EDT
[#32]
On a different forum I saw a post from a guy who mentioned he has started getting calls for rolex watches from his AD.  He said he doesn't remember putting his name down except for 1 model but he has received a few calls on other models.

I'm at 4 month so I don't expect a call anytime soon but the news was welcome.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 1:19:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Dont have one, dont seriously plan on ever owning one.

If i win the powerball i will propably have one for the collection but with money beeing an finite resource there are more desirable watches for me.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 2:06:19 PM EDT
[#35]
I will take my Seiko perpetual and spend the rest on hookers and blow to quote one of my fed buddies. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Tudor > Rolex
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Got my Sub in April guys
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Subs aren't on my "gotta have" list, especially at the current prices, but at about $3K (used) I'd love to have a Tudor Black Bay with the red bezel, reference #79230R.

For 1/5 of the price of a sub, it moves from my "meh" list to my "now you've got my attention" list!

Link Posted: 7/28/2022 7:06:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Just got mine from the AD this month. After wearing it for a couple of weeks, it’s clear - the Sub is better than I imagined.

So worth the wait.

By poor BB58 is collecting dust now.

The Sub is a true grail for me.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#40]
The closest I have to an homage piece is a PADI Turtle. It's nice but I'm scouring the ADs for a sea dweller. It's more sub than the sub.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 5:52:39 AM EDT
[#41]
When you can get a Tudor Pelagos or Black Bay that does everything the Rolex does (sometimes more), why?  It's pretty much a name and potential for future returns and since Rolex makes a million watches a year now, the rarity factor on the resale market is going to be diminishing.  Besides the green bezel model, I don't see anything that's a particularly unique variant, unless you count the silly gold models that make as much sense as suede cowboy boots for a tool watch.

Link Posted: 9/4/2022 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Tudor is crushing it. BB58 and the new Pelagos are what the Sub was before things got crazy.
I do hate that the Sub is a “status symbol” but as a true enthusiast, it did not prevent me from obtaining my grail.
If people think I’m an asshole for wearing it well “like that is just your opinion, man”

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
When you can get a Tudor Pelagos or Black Bay that does everything the Rolex does (sometimes more), why?  It's pretty much a name and potential for future returns and since Rolex makes a million watches a year now, the rarity factor on the resale market is going to be diminishing.  Besides the green bezel model, I don't see anything that's a particularly unique variant, unless you count the silly gold models that make as much sense as suede cowboy boots for a tool watch.

https://www.tudorwatch.com/-/media/tudorwatch/data/media/img/pelagos-39-page-immersive/04-popin-features/features-img-01.jpg?h=1920&iar=0&w=1920&version=1.8.0&sc_lang=en&imwidth=720
View Quote

Have Sub and have owned a few Pelagos, and will pick up the 39.

Tudor is all the fun that Rolex used to be, it’s still a sports watch.

I think both is the answer here.

Link Posted: 9/5/2022 4:06:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Tudor is crushing it. BB58 and the new Pelagos are what the Sub was before things got crazy.
I do hate that the Sub is a "status symbol" but as a true enthusiast, it did not prevent me from obtaining my grail.
If people think I'm an asshole for wearing it well "like that is just your opinion, man"

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/112468/17552526-81B4-4E6B-BE1D-B9BF5E9DC838_jpe-2514021.JPG
View Quote
I don't care about the Sub I just wanna know where to get that Rhodie camo shirt
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 3:57:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I don't care about the Sub I just wanna know where to get that Rhodie camo shirt
View Quote

Gift from my brother- it’s a bad ass shirt thanks!

Looks like they are sold out most sizes unfortunately. Runs small (I like to think ha!)

Shirt
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#47]
It is nice hearing rumors about the 2nd hand market prices dropping.  I really would like to add a GMT2 to my collection.  
I guess one thing to look forward to in a declining economy.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 1:08:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Subs are OK, but I prefer my GMT Master II.
View Quote
My first Rolex was a Sub. I traded that in on a GMT Master II.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#49]
This is my 1st luxury watch. Tudor BB58 in blue.... it was all that I could afford

I think I'm going to get a GS in spring drive for my next purchase...that second had sweep is just beautiful.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top