Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2020 9:21:24 AM EDT
I found it rather interesting to see Mark Felton do an episode on Rock Apes in Vietnam. It's a pretty good account of the history of the topic. For those of you that don't know him, google him.

Vietnam War Rock Apes - Bigfoot or Big Fraud?

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:30:28 AM EDT
[#1]
He does great vids.

Check out

Bedtime stories as well.
He's had a bunch a good cryptid ons and others.

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He does great vids.

Check out

Bedtime stories as well.
He's had a bunch a good cryptid ons and others.

View Quote
He sure does. He has done a couple "paranormal" type episodes but generally they are pretty much established fact based historical documentaries (albeit obscure) so to see him do this topic I found rather interesting. What other "cryptid" ones has he done? I can't really find any other
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#3]
My dad was in Vietnam as a LRRP. He never saw rock apes. But fuck you lizards were real. There was also an orangutan who lived in the one tree on the base he was at for awhile. If you left the messhall without an exit tax for the orangutan it would beat the fuck out of you. My dad told me once two navy seals stopped in the base for some reason and were warned about the orangutan and said they weren't feeding no monkey. It beat the dogshit out of both of them. One SEAL supposedly went to go get a gun to shoot it and was told if he shot it he would get killed himself. So he got on the radio and somehow got two k9 handlers to fly in with their dogs,  both of whom and their dogs got demolished as well. My dad said that orangutan slept all day in that tree but dropped down like a giant spider if you walked into the messhall and waited for you to exit. He said it was massive, 400 or 500 pounds. Mind you he was 6 foot 3 220.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My dad was in Vietnam as a LRRP. He never saw rock apes. But fuck you lizards were real. There was also an orangutan who lived in the one tree on the base he was at for awhile. If you left the messhall without an exit tax for the orangutan it would beat the fuck out of you. My dad told me once two navy seals stopped in the base for some reason and were warned about the orangutan and said they weren't feeding no monkey. It beat the dogshit out of both of them. One SEAL supposedly went to go get a gun to shoot it and was told if he shot it he would get killed himself. So he got on the radio and somehow got two k9 handlers to fly in with their dogs,  both of whom and their dogs got demolished as well. My dad said that orangutan slept all day in that tree but dropped down like a giant spider if you walked into the messhall and waited for you to exit. He said it was massive, 400 or 500 pounds. Mind you he was 6 foot 3 220.
View Quote
That's quite a story, especially considering Orangutans are NOT native to Vietnam. Unless it was an escaped zoo animal or pet
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's quite a story, especially considering Orangutans are NOT native to Vietnam. Unless it was an escaped zoo animal or pet
View Quote

The old man can tell a story. If it's bullshit, it's the best bullshit story ever.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The old man can tell a story. If it's bullshit, it's the best bullshit story ever.
View Quote
I'm not calling anyone a liar but there is around a 0% chance a 500 pound wild Orangutan lived in a tree outside that base. I'd be shocked if any part of that story is true
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm not calling anyone a liar but there is around a 0% chance a 500 pound wild Orangutan lived in a tree outside that base. I'd be shocked if any part of that story is true
View Quote

No, it lived in a tree inside the base, right outside the messhall.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:38:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

A friends dad was a LRRP. He told a story about a troop of monkeys walking through their group, even stepping an a couple of them, while they were out doing their thing. He called them "Rock Apes". Haven't watched the video. The still shot in OP looks like a cheap Big Foot....he didn't add any crypto zoological angle to the story.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

A friends dad was a LRRP. He told a story about a troop of monkeys walking through their group, even stepping an a couple of them, while they were out doing their thing. He called them "Rock Apes". Haven't watched the video. The still shot in OP looks like a cheap Big Foot....he didn't add any crypto zoological angle to the story.
View Quote
Watch the video, that pic in the OP is just kind of satire or whatever. If you don't know who Mark Felton is, I encourage you to search his YouTube channel. You won't regret it. Most of his stuff is World War Two related and not paranormal at all which is why it was interesting he did a video on the subject
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:00:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No, it lived in a tree inside the base, right outside the messhall.
View Quote
Whatever, I'm not buying any of that story. Sorry
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:18:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Whatever, I'm not buying any of that story. Sorry
View Quote

I haven't talked to the old man in awhile. I'm gonna call him and get all the details today.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#12]
It's hard to call bullshit on this one, but who knows?

At least there aren't any obvious fake videos, like the Sasquatch.

Seems odd that the GIs never bagged one.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I worked with a guy many years ago at USSteel who was a Vietnam US army vet
(When I started working 1990, there were many many VN vets still working)
He drove trucks - never mentioned the gun trucks, just supply trucks

He told me they were near a village and an orangutan ripped the arms off a little toddler boy from the village
He never told any other tall tales of his time there - other than being in the first row at a USO show and could’ve been Ann Margret was there.

There apparently haven’t been orangutans in Vietnam for a very long time
I didn’t know that then, and I doubt he did either
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Holy shit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top