Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 3/21/2019 9:56:49 PM EDT
I did the thread on Utila, but looks like kids are coming so now researching Roatan instead. West End area? Need decent beach with some snorkeling? Kids aren't certified... We're shopping package deals air/place to stay.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:37:15 PM EDT
[#1]
This topic is relevant to my interests.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 12:31:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I know nothing about the Caribbean. I dived Maui on my honeymoon and Cape cod for lobsters on several occasions. When I got certified my teacher's wife was organizing trips to Belize and Roatan all the time.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 12:57:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know nothing about the Caribbean. I dived Maui on my honeymoon and Cape cod for lobsters on several occasions. When I got certified my teacher's wife was organizing trips to Belize and Roatan all the time.
View Quote
Highly recommend Anthony's Key Resort. Heading there in 22 days. Great dive op. I think they still have a BOGO deal going.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 12:22:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Highly recommend Anthony's Key Resort. Heading there in 22 days. Great dive op. I think they still have a BOGO deal going.
View Quote
Looks real nice, also looks like I need more than 3 months notice to book a stay. No availability for a while...
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 12:30:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Mayan Princess was pretty nice, but it has been about 5 years since we've been.  Maybe we need to change that....
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 3:18:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I have only been once, but we stayed at Turquoise Bay.  It is isolated and on the east end.  It looks just like the pictures on their website.  The beach is nice and it will not be crowded since it is a private beach.  Subway Watersports is the dive operation and they are first class.  Being on the east end it will cost you about $75 for a taxi if you want to visit the tourist areas (souvenir shops and bars) on the west end. If you are going to dive then I highly recommend Turquoise Bay.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1mF9jBBcWA
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll second this recommendation.

I dove with them in September, and they were 1st class. Guides were great, the dives were fun, and they were very safety conscious (that's great for me as it was my 1st ocean dive).

They do have a 2 for 1 going if you stay for a week. Hell, it includes 23 dives as well.

Thinking about going back with the wife for a late anniversary getaway.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 12:29:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looks real nice, also looks like I need more than 3 months notice to book a stay. No availability for a while...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well that's a bummer. Take a look at CoCoview. It's on the channel side. Nice place and a great house reef. Big wreck in the bay and a Goliath grouper makes his home there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I dove with them in September, and they were 1st class. Guides were great, the dives were fun, and they were very safety conscious (that's great for me as it was my 1st ocean dive).

They do have a 2 for 1 going if you stay for a week. Hell, it includes 23 dives as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks great. <wallofquestions> Did you stay in the "key" rooms or the rooms on the main island? What else is on the key beyond guest bungalows and the spa? Do you have to go to the main island for meals, diving, etc. and how often does the ferry boat run? What's the wait for the ferry boat? And what kind of diving is there? </wallofquestions> Thanks
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 11:32:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looks great.  Did you stay in the "key" rooms or the rooms on the main island? What else is on the key beyond guest bungalows and the spa? Do you have to go to the main island for meals, diving, etc. and how often does the ferry boat run? What's the wait for the ferry boat? And what kind of diving is there?  Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks great.  Did you stay in the "key" rooms or the rooms on the main island? What else is on the key beyond guest bungalows and the spa? Do you have to go to the main island for meals, diving, etc. and how often does the ferry boat run? What's the wait for the ferry boat? And what kind of diving is there?  Thanks
We were on the key in a bungalow. There is a bar, spa, and all the outdoor sporting gear there, along with an ice machine and a few other things.
You have to go to the main island for meals and diving, gift shop etc. It runs back and forth around the clock. Literally a 2 or 3 minute wait at most is typical.
Unlimited shore diving. Reef and wall diving. Drift diving too depending on current. Night dives off the boat as well.
One meal (BBQ) was served last time we were there. We also did a cruise to the other side of the island (channel) for a day and a stop at the animal preserve. Lunch was served there.

14 days and a wakeup.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 12:36:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We were on the key in a bungalow. There is a bar, spa, and all the outdoor sporting gear there, along with an ice machine and a few other things.
You have to go to the main island for meals and diving, gift shop etc. It runs back and forth around the clock. Literally a 2 or 3 minute wait at most is typical.
Unlimited shore diving. Reef and wall diving. Drift diving too depending on current. Night dives off the boat as well.
One meal (BBQ) was served last time we were there. We also did a cruise to the other side of the island (channel) for a day and a stop at the animal preserve. Lunch was served there.

14 days and a wakeup.
View Quote
Sounds great. Thanks & enjoy!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 12:43:42 AM EDT
[#12]
You are welcome. Hope you can make a trip down.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry I'm late getting back to this.

I didn't get a chance to stay on property.

I used them while on a cruise, and we went to their resort via bus to dive.

The place looks 1st class, it's secluded, and damn nice compared to EVERYTHING else we saw.

Everybody I interacted with was more than helpful. We went back to the resort between dives, and while waiting, got a chance to walk and explore.

I'd have no reservation about staying there, or using them as a dive operator in the future.

My only hold up is that no one else in my family (wife, 2 kids and son-in-law) dives, and it may be a stretch to get her to stay for a week while I dive all day (and 2 nights). Wife loves to snorkel, and I think I've got her talked into a trip late this year. She'll love the dolphin interaction, so I think I may be good to go.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Just got back from a weeks stay. 1st class as usual, and the diving was great. If you plan to dive Roatan, I can't recommend AKR enough.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 11:12:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Another solid recommendation for Anthony's Key.  Wife and I went there about 9 years ago.  Great all around!  Just be sure to take "Cactus Juice" to keep the no-see-ums at bay.  You can buy it on Amazon.  You need to re-apply every time you get out of the water or you will end up with red dots all over.

It was great diving, great food, great service and the dolphin snorkel was really cool.  We stayed on the water on the Key and loved that as well.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#16]
We are booked for next month at Blue Bahia, which has Roatan Divers right on site. Are they GTG? $50 a dive or a bit cheaper if we buy 5 or more dives...
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top