Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2018 11:42:34 PM EDT
I've got a pretty nice 5" vise, but it's a bit older. Probably still 80-90%, but in most the out of view places it's got a fair bit of rust, though only pitting on one piece.

The main thing is that the roaring base would no longer rotate. I'm going to be cleaning the rust off, I'm familiar with that step, but I'm not exactly sure how to refinish it. I haven't refinished a moving part before, just painted pieces thag don't have contact with other parts.

How would y'all recommend refinishing it cheaply? I don't imagine paint would last at all. Would I be best to just leave it bare and keep it oiled? All the non-moving/contact points I'm fine on, I jsut don't know how to handle any of the parts that slide on and against each other.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 1:45:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Disassemble....  blast down to bare metal...  paint...  reassemble.   Oh...  I use just a couple drops of 3 in 1 oil on the guide(s) and drive.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 3:52:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Naval jelly works pretty well on stripping rust off. Just make sure you let it sit long enough. You could use whatever weapon cleaning CLP too, and if you have any gun grease, that would help long term. You can get away with some cheapo harbor freight wire brush wheels chucked into a drill for the rest of the clean up. Paint wise, rustoleum for metal surfaces is what you want. Obviously tape off the teeth and the moving hardware when you do paint.

It will look good when you are done.

ETA: If the hardware is locked up, treat it the same way as AR parts. Try oil, heat, or even stick it in the freezer for a night, then hit it with heat again.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 4:55:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quite a few similar vise restoration projects on YouTube.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 8:04:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Naval jelly works pretty well on stripping rust off. Just make sure you let it sit long enough. You could use whatever weapon cleaning CLP too, and if you have any gun grease, that would help long term. You can get away with some cheapo harbor freight wire brush wheels chucked into a drill for the rest of the clean up. Paint wise, rustoleum for metal surfaces is what you want. Obviously tape off the teeth and the moving hardware when you do paint.

It will look good when you are done.

ETA: If the hardware is locked up, treat it the same way as AR parts. Try oil, heat, or even stick it in the freezer for a night, then hit it with heat again.
View Quote
Cool, thanks! I've got a big tube of grease I was thinking to use, just didn't know if paint would immediately wear off.

Nothing is locked up yet, I disassembled it last night and sprayed it down with wd40. I'll hit it with wire brushes (drill/grinder/dremel) and rust remover to finish cleaning it up!
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#5]
There's a huge thread on this subject on thegaragejournal.com
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There's a huge thread on this subject on thegaragejournal.com
View Quote
I'll check it out, thank you!
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Got a big toaster oven that parts will fit in?

I'd gunkote it (spray on finish from Brownells) and then bake it in the oven. Don't do it in the kitchen oven lest your incur the wrath of woman.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 3:18:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Got a big toaster oven that parts will fit in?

I'd gunkote it (spray on finish from Brownells) and then bake it in the oven. Don't do it in the kitchen oven lest your incur the wrath of woman.
View Quote
I've already done WRX headers and uppipe. As long as I open the windows and light some candles, she can't even tell.

I picked up some rustoleom primer and then blue metallic to hopefully better match the paint that's already on there. Most of it's in great condition, it's mainly just the rotating base assembly and a few other moving bits. Screws and such are soaking in a rust remover (phosphoric or hydrochloric acid or some such. Can't remember, but used it with great effect before) that also helps etch and prep, "painted" the other parts with it as well. Tomorrow we'll see about hitting it with a wire disk and sandpaper for whatever's left on there, prime it, and then paint likely Wednesday.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 6:30:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Pics?
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 7:59:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Just use a wire  wheel to clean everything then degrease with some brake cleaner. Mask off what you don't want painted, and for the most important part. Use rustolem Hammered spray paint. Oh and make sure to put a primer coat on.

Before
Attachment Attached File

After
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Beautiful
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#12]
What Nav222 said, only I didn't use hammered paint on this one.

I inherited this vice when my grandfather died about ten years ago.

My 74-year old uncle remembers playing with it when he was a kid.

It had 60+ years of gunk and grease. It was used hard.

Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What Nav222 said, only I didn't use hammered paint on this one.

I inherited this vice when my grandfather died about ten years ago.

My 74-year old uncle remembers playing with it when he was a kid.

It had 60+ years of gunk and grease. It was used hard.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/134379/23svou0-771847.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/134379/1sfdvq-771846.jpg
View Quote
That's a nice one!
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's a nice one!
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 3:21:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I watched this the other day. Very nice work.

Rusty Deadlocked Vise - Perfect Restoration
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Pics?
View Quote
Didn't end up repainting it at this point, I didn't have the time to do as good a job as I would have wanted.

Cleaned rust off most the unpainted moving surfaces, gave it a good helping of grease, and it'll be getting mounted here shortly to put some AR's together.

Later when I get to actually putting a full bench together, I'll take it somewhere to get sandblasted before repainting.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#17]
You could also use boiled linseed oil for a finish.

It looks good if the metal is clean.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top