Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/16/2021 7:00:31 AM EDT
Stopped into two chain stores today. Big 5 and Walmart. Just to see what they had

Big 5:
12 Ga 6 shot
12 Ga heavy shot turkey load
20 Ga heavy shot turkey load
.32 Long
.300 Savage

Walmart:
28 Ga birdshot
12 Ga birdshot
12 Ga slug
20 Ga slug

That’s it!

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:08:03 AM EDT
[#1]
They had slugs?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:09:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They had slugs?
View Quote

Federal. Several boxes. Left it for someone who needs it. I’m good for slugs
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:11:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to August 2020.

The only time I go to Walmart is to grab oil and filter for an oil change in my truck once in a blue moon. Went there two evenings ago and they had zero ammo. As in the case was completely empty. EXCEPT for two lonely boxes of Winchester 333 packs of .22lr for $18.95.

Since these are going for $110 plus per box on gubbroker and I’ve seen them sell online for $140 per box, yeah they went home with me.

Local Academy had zero ammo and just a few boxes of 28 gauge bird shot. As an example for how bad it has been, all of the paintball, airsoft, and pellet/bb guns have been sold out for months as well.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:13:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Was going to shoot sporting clays last week, I have plenty of shells but always stop in at academy and buy 2x what I plan to shoot that day.  I was surprised that there were only three boxes of 12ga in the store all of them being $30+ goose loads
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:24:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Shouldn't surprise anyone. You guys all say the same thing in every ammo thread over the last 50 weeks. But you all keep going back to the same places as if you expect the ammo fairy to magically deposit rows of ammo on the shelves before you arrive. Maybe the ammo elves are in the basement running little Dillon progressive presses getting ready to stock the shelves tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:29:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Shouldn't surprise anyone. You guys all say the same thing in every ammo thread over the last 50 weeks. But you all keep going back to the same places as if you expect the ammo fairy to magically deposit rows of ammo on the shelves before you arrive. Maybe the ammo elves are in the basement running little Dillon progressive presses getting ready to stock the shelves tomorrow.
View Quote

Walmart gets shipments regularly. Big 5 gets shipments once a week, they will tell you what day if you ask them.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:30:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They had slugs?
View Quote

And some kind of premium turkey load? O_o
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Zero boxes of any ammo at WalMart here.

They did have several guns still for sale.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:38:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

At some point demand will subside and the shelves will be magically stocked again.

It happened before and it will happen again.

If I remember the last few panics correctly, 22LR has been consistently the last to sit on shelves unsold for weeks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:56:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Managers at Walmart have been told to hold all ammo in the locked cage at Walmart.  They won’t be letting anything out else except bird shot until after the inauguration.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:03:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Walmart gets shipments regularly. Big 5 gets shipments once a week, they will tell you what day if you ask them.

View Quote

And yet no one reports in ammo threads " hey everyone, the shelves in Walmart are full of ammo today!"
Maybe everyone is just missing those delivery days.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:06:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

At some point demand will subside and the shelves will be magically stocked again.

If I remember the last few panics correctly, 22LR has been consistently the last to sit on shelves unsold for weeks.
View Quote

I'm sure.

Believe me, as a. FFL I've been playing the allocation game for the last year. Sooner or later the music will stop and I'll have to start telling my sales reps that I no longer need those hundreds of cases of ammo on backorder

Until then I play the game to keep the shelves full, or diversify what I offer so there is no empty shelf space.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:40:43 AM EDT
[#13]
On my 4th stop i found 4 boxes of high end 3” 20 ga #5s.  I wanted 6’s and could have use 12 or 16 ga.  All stores had 8s, turkey and waterfowl loads and a smattering of other loads.  28 ga widely available. No .410.  

I have a large supply of everything except pheasant loads as i rarely shoot them.  

Still no canning lids.  I found a few of standard lids back in December.  I think I’m a couple years ahead on these.   Plenty of jars everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:46:24 AM EDT
[#14]
My local Academy.  Only thing they have is random 28 GA shotshells.  Guy told me they used to get shipments of new stuff in 2-3 times a week.  As of then, they had not had a shipment in over a week.  However, there is still a group of people in line every morning when the store opens just on the chance they got something.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:13:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Stopped into two chain stores today. Big 5 and Walmart. Just to see what they had

Big 5:
12 Ga 6 shot
.32 Long
.300 Savage

Walmart:
28 Ga birdshot
12 Ga birdshot
12 Ga slug
20 Ga slug

That’s it!

Flagstaff AZ if anyone’s looking for those.
View Quote

.300 Savage! That's actually impressive. I could never find that caliber in stores before 2020 for my late grandpappy's Savage 99.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:25:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Our dentist’s office is next door to Bass Pro. I went into BP yesterday after visit to dentist.

They had
6 boxes of Herter's .22 LR @ $8.95/100,
2-3 boxes of.25 Auto,
2-3 boxes of .32 Auto,
10-12 boxes of .223 Tula steel case @ $7.99,
5 boxes of .270 Win,
5 boxes of 10mm 180 Gr FMJ Winchester,
4 boxes of 410 ga,
and some .338 mag bullets (for reloading, not ammo).
3 box limit; total # of boxes, not 3 boxes per caliber.  

Lots of folks in line, lots of folks are in town for the annual Chili Bowl races (Tulsa).
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:27:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I also work at Academy.  We open at 9 AM.  The same people show up at 0530 every truck day.  The file in at 9 in a single file line.  Three boxes each.  By 930 the ammo is gone for the most part.  We do hold boxes of ammo for the few firearms we have to sell.  One customer came in last week and bought two hellcats.  He asked about ammo.  I got him two boxes of Federal HST 124 grain.  He asked for more.  I told him we have one box for every pistol so at least people going home can have something.  He asked for a manager.(Karen) i told him you are speaking to one.  

Well if I cant have all the ammo I want I will walk away and you won’t make this sale, what are you going to do now.  

Well I will sell them to the next customer who will be more than happy to get a firearm no less a box of rounds to go with it.  

It’s all about us trying to make sure the new customers can have something and not some guy building up his personal stash.  I have kept a list of customers who purchased pistols in the last few weeks that didn’t get any ammo with their firearm purchase, little old grandmother type .  

I called one lady 10 days after she took her Sig 238 home and told her we had some 380.  She hadn’t been able to get anything.  She came in and I sold her a box of Winchester FMJ and a box of Sig V-Crown.  

We have people accusing us of keeping “the good stuff” hidden for ourselves.  Quite the contrary,  if the upper management finds out we are playing favorites or hiding it to buy ourselves we are subject to disciplinary actions up to termination.  

They are fine with us holding ammo for new firearm purchases.  And yes, BB’s, pellets, CO2 cartridges, Air Guns are also all out of stock.  

If we happen to get in a large amount of ammo and we don’t sell out in the first 30 minutes, we have caught many customers walking out to their car, changing their clothes, putting on hats and coming back in to have another go at the ammo.  We politely tell them to come back tomorrow and see if there is any remaining.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:30:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My local Academy.  Only thing they have is random 28 GA shotshells.  Guy told me they used to get shipments of new stuff in 2-3 times a week.  As of then, they had not had a shipment in over a week.  However, there is still a group of people in line every morning when the store opens just on the chance they got something.

https://i.postimg.cc/hv9v46mK/screenshot-387.png
View Quote

Academy stores in this area had Winchester 9mm 100 rounds, 270 Win, .308 Super X 20 rounds, 30-30, Winchester 10mm 50 rounds and more, all in extremely limited quantities at open yesterday.  Prices were not exorbitant.  Limit 3 boxes or one of 100 rounds or more total and still almost all popular calibers gone in about 1/2 hour, 9mm in about 10 minutes.  Scheels had shelves of Blazer Brass 45 Auto.  Might still have some.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Went to local academy on Thursday.  
They had 4 large boxes of 28 gauge shells.  
2 boxes of 25/06.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I also work at Academy.  We open at 9 AM.  The same people show up at 0530 every truck day.  The file in at 9 in a single file line.  Three boxes each.  By 930 the ammo is gone for the most part.  We do hold boxes of ammo for the few firearms we have to sell.  One customer came in last week and bought two hellcats.  He asked about ammo.  I got him two boxes of Federal HST 124 grain.  He asked for more.  I told him we have one box for every pistol so at least people going home can have something.  He asked for a manager.(Karen) i told him you are speaking to one.  

Well if I cant have all the ammo I want I will walk away and you won’t make this sale, what are you going to do now.  

Well I will sell them to the next customer who will be more than happy to get a firearm no less a box of rounds to go with it.  

It’s all about us trying to make sure the new customers can have something and not some guy building up his personal stash.  I have kept a list of customers who purchased pistols in the last few weeks that didn’t get any ammo with their firearm purchase, little old grandmother type .  

I called one lady 10 days after she took her Sig 238 home and told her we had some 380.  She hadn’t been able to get anything.  She came in and I sold her a box of Winchester FMJ and a box of Sig V-Crown.  

We have people accusing us of keeping “the good stuff” hidden for ourselves.  Quite the contrary,  if the upper management finds out we are playing favorites or hiding it to buy ourselves we are subject to disciplinary actions up to termination.  

They are fine with us holding ammo for new firearm purchases.  And yes, BB’s, pellets, CO2 cartridges, Air Guns are also all out of stock.  

If we happen to get in a large amount of ammo and we don’t sell out in the first 30 minutes, we have caught many customers walking out to their car, changing their clothes, putting on hats and coming back in to have another go at the ammo.  We politely tell them to come back tomorrow and see if there is any remaining.  

View Quote

It seems to be Monday, Wednesday, Friday in my area for potential shipments.  Does your store follow a similar schedule and has there been less lately?  No one here is waiting since 0530 at least. lol  Just 10-15 minutes before open.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

And yet no one reports in ammo threads " hey everyone, the shelves in Walmart are full of ammo today!"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

First rule about fight club ...
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:42:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/hv9v46mK/screenshot-387.png
View Quote

I went to one the other day too. Pretty much the same story.

LGS had maybe one box of shot shells and the wait to talk to anyone at the counter was probably close to an hour. They did appear to have a lot of guns in stock, though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#23]
LOL.....I ran into a acquaintance yesterday and he asked me to help him price-out a large lot of ammo he had bought and handed me a pretty extensive list of the calibers/amount. I spied some .30-40 Krag on the list and told him I would price it but I wanted the .30-40 for my trouble. I figured if he was going to make hay while the sun shines then I was going to make some hay too.

He paid $500.00 for the lot and I figure if prices on what he has remains steady he stands to make about 2K+ profit over his investment cost.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Stopped by the LGS yesterday just to see what they had:

6 boxes .32 ACP
2 boxes .50 BMG
several assorted brands of 28 ga.

That was their entire supply of ammo.

They have the shelves restocked with guns and accessories but pricing for handguns is about 25% higher than it was last January.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:50:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It seems to be Monday, Wednesday, Friday in my area for potential shipments.  Does your store follow a similar schedule and has there been less lately?  No one here is waiting since 0530 at least. lol  Just 10-15 minutes before open.
View Quote

We were on the Monday,Wednesday and Friday schedule as well.  That was ,for us at least, ramping up to Christmas.  Our warehouse would get in more merchandise for the season, so they had to get it out to the stores.  We are a lower volume store so once the shopping season is over we go back to twice a week.  It really depends on the individual store and their volume of sales.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:54:34 AM EDT
[#26]
The re-sellers are not helping...
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They had slugs?

I have an 870 I havent shot yet.  I have some target shot and a bunch of slugs.  If men were lined up how many would a slug go through?

I dont get guys waiting in line at academy for 3 boxes of whatever happens to be delivered.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:00:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm sure.

Believe me, as a. FFL I've been playing the allocation game for the last year. Sooner or later the music will stop and I'll have to start telling my sales reps that I no longer need those hundreds of cases of ammo on backorder

Until then I play the game to keep the shelves full, or diversify what I offer so there is no empty shelf space.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure.

I couldn't handle the ups and downs in the market.

2 things i do know.   If there are online restrictions,  walmart will sell ammo again and brick and mortar will resurge.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:03:21 AM EDT
[#29]
I would have bought the 20 ga slugs.  But being in TX I'm not likely to make it there.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:07:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Walmart don't carry guns or ammo here.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#31]
We were warned to stock up during salad days.  Sucks for you if you didn't.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:21:02 AM EDT
[#32]
I looked at gunbroker and 22 ammo is up to about .25 to .31 cents a round and 5.56 is .95 cents for federal to $1.40 Hornady.  And it's going north.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

.300 Savage! That's actually impressive. I could never find that caliber in stores before 2020 for my late grandpappy's Savage 99.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Big 5:
12 Ga 6 shot
.32 Long
.300 Savage

Walmart:
28 Ga birdshot
12 Ga birdshot
12 Ga slug
20 Ga slug

That’s it!

^  @14BoltFF
Did Peters quit makiing 250 savage ammo?  I've been having a hard time find it :)  on the shelves
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:35:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Big 5:
12 Ga 6 shot
.32 Long
.300 Savage

Walmart:
28 Ga birdshot
12 Ga birdshot
12 Ga slug
20 Ga slug

That’s it!

I’ve seen it at 2 big five stores this year. I sold my Savage 99 in my divorce though. ??
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:39:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
We were warned to stock up during salad days.  Sucks for you if you didn't.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/laugh-29.gif
View Quote

Whatevs I'm coming to your house.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:40:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Pistol/rimfire ammo aisle.
3 boxes of .17 HMR left.
1 opened.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I went to Dunham's a couple weeks ago and they had just received over 1,000 boxes of Blazer Brass 9mm. $14.99 per box, limit 3 per customer per day.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#38]
I just want a box or 2 of 410

Cant find that anywhere
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Posted photos are a liberal's wet dream.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#40]
The common ARFCOM wisdom, "buy it cheap, stack it deep" has never been so true today, on the threshold of the Joe Xiden's inauguration. And of course the collective/collusion  oppression by big tech.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:04:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

You serious?

I do ammo checks at the local stores every other day because they're getting random shipments whenever the distributors get some.

Since October, that has netted me 3,500 rounds of 9mm, 1,200 rounds of .300BO, 2,200 rounds of 5.56, 450 rounds of buck and slug, and a smattering of .22LR.

I don't bother checking Walmart.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:11:19 AM EDT
[#42]
No ammo of any caliber whatsoever in the main stores around me, except 28-gauge.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#43]
What a unique thread of no ammo

I never heard of this shortage

No one ever warned about it either.

Maybe someone else will start another thread in an hour with the same topic about an ammo shortage

There is no shortage. You can buy it form the people that buy it at walmart and sell it on gunbroiker

You wont like the price but there is no shortage
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#44]
My local store had a couple shelves full of PMC 7.62x51 for sale at 17.99 a box. 100rds limit. Thought about buying some even tho I don't have my ar10 yet. Guess I'll save up for its scope in the mean time also. Other than that its pretty bare and empty
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Academy Sports yesterday.

Went in to buy Triple Seven FFG powder for next muzzleloader season. They had two cans. I bought one. That was the extent of their "black powder".  Then, I asked about centerfire ammunition.....They had one box of .357Sig and two boxes
of 7.62x39.  That was it. Total of sixty rounds of ammunition in the store.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You serious?

I do ammo checks at the local stores every other day because they're getting random shipments whenever the distributors get some.

Since October, that has netted me 3,500 rounds of 9mm, 1,200 rounds of .300BO, 2,200 rounds of 5.56, 450 rounds of buck and slug, and a smattering of .22LR.

I don't bother checking Walmart.
View Quote

Completely serious
All I seem to see are people reporting empty shelves, not when they actually find something to shoot
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
They had slugs?
View Quote
Lol, that's exactly what I was about to post.

The only common rifle round I see on the shelves here is .270. I don't own a .270.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:22:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#49]
I've nothing to add to the thread, at least in a positive light of going with the flow so I guess I'll get some knocking about. These shortages are happening with more and more frequency, almost exponentially. For those members with long term starting dates, you've been through enough of these to know to maybe to set some aside for the rainy days and with that I know everybody isn't in a position to stack it deep when the sunny days arrive. For the newer ones, welcome to the party and try to learn through others mistakes. I also understand that having to curb your shooting some or completely is a frustration but the logical thing is to save what you have for now if you're short. I'm personally not in that position and for those who think I'm speaking from an ivory tower with an "I've got mine so screw you" attitude that isn't the case. I'm in a state where we are constantly being brow beat about firearms and could end up being a prime example of persecution and lose everything at the swipe of a pen and couple that with the most my old butt could manage to carry is a standard load out and the rest goes to the vultures if I need to un-ass quickly or the storm troopers show up with a warrant, stacking deep only goes so far.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Guess we all need to buy 28ga shotguns, according to this thread ,that ammo is EVERYWHERE !
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top