Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2021 7:50:56 PM EDT
Does anyone have any good resources or books about the Nordic countries during WWII? I have never learned a whole lot about Norway, Sweden, and Finland during WWII. I understand that Norway quickly fell to the Nazis and there was a lot of fighting between the Nazis and Russians in that area but have never seen much covering it. I’ve heard Finland put up a good fight against the Russians but similarly, haven’t read anything extensive about it. I’m really interested in the tactics involved and what they (they being all sides) had to do to be able to survive and fight in such harsh conditions. Any insight is appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for later

I'll take a photo of a couple of my bookshelves

I study some of the Norwegian campaigns, as well as primarily research the Finnish experience from 1939 to 1945 - as they had three distinct wars in that time frame: Winter War, Continuation War, Lappland War.

Will also suggest some movies that are worth the time spent watching them
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 7:07:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tag for later

I'll take a photo of a couple of my bookshelves

I study some of the Norwegian campaigns, as well as primarily research the Finnish experience from 1939 to 1945 - as they had three distinct wars in that time frame: Winter War, Continuation War, Lappland War.

Will also suggest some movies that are worth the time spent watching them
View Quote

That would be fantastic, thank you.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#3]
You should be able to zoom into the photos to read the titles.
Happy to answer questions on any of the ones shown...I may have a few others on other shelves or different rooms as I have been using them, or had them away for shows/displays

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I'll try to arrange them better tomorrow & get a few photos in daylight
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Very cool, thank you. I’ll see if I can find any of those. Several titles appear to be Finnish - are those written in Finnish?

What are your favorite two books?
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#5]
The books are a mix of English, Finnish, German & Russian

IF the choice was down to two, then a couple of recently published volumes are well worth being the first on the subject.
Both by the same author, Vesa Nenya, a double set FINLAND AT WAR

IF you want to look into the Finnish experience of WW2, then there is an amazing online resource, run by the Finnish government.
They have uploaded as many of their official wartime photos and videos as they have access to: Photo archive

There are also some amazing movies relating to the Finns in the war.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 9:36:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The books are a mix of English, Finnish, German & Russian

IF the choice was down to two, then a couple of recently published volumes are well worth being the first on the subject.
Both by the same author, Vesa Nenya, a double set FINLAND AT WAR

IF you want to look into the Finnish experience of WW2, then there is an amazing online resource, run by the Finnish government.
They have uploaded as many of their official wartime photos and videos as they have access to: Photo archive

There are also some amazing movies relating to the Finns in the war.
View Quote

I’ll look for FINLAND AT WAR, thank you. I just asked for top two as a starting point
That is a fantastic resource with all of the photos and videos. I can’t read the propaganda posters but I can get a pretty good gist of what they’re saying from the pictures. Pretty neat to see from the Finn’s side of things. It’s crazy to think of all the fighting there that Americans either gloss over in history class or just skip altogether. Everyone talks about the Western Front (naturally, as that’s where our folks fought) and some about the Eastern Front. But the Northern European countries are barely a blip on the radar.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I’ll look for FINLAND AT WAR, thank you. I just asked for top two as a starting point
That is a fantastic resource with all of the photos and videos. I can’t read the propaganda posters but I can get a pretty good gist of what they’re saying from the pictures. Pretty neat to see from the Finn’s side of things. It’s crazy to think of all the fighting there that Americans either gloss over in history class or just skip altogether. Everyone talks about the Western Front (naturally, as that’s where our folks fought) and some about the Eastern Front. But the Northern European countries are barely a blip on the radar.
View Quote

...and the Finns were an allied nation of the West until the Soviets changed sides as a result of the July '41 invasion of Russia by the Germans.
I find it quite amusing that the Soviets and their current offspring make a huge deal of "The Great Patriotic War of 1941-45" - they seem to forget about their role in seizing Poland and most of the Baltic states in 1939, as an ALLY of Germany!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Black Edelweiss:
Attachment Attached File

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Twilight of the Gods
Attachment Attached File

MissingImage

and this isn't so much in the North but follows on thel ast operation in Black Edelweiss.
Seven Days in January
Attachment Attached File

MissingImage

Link Posted: 3/12/2021 7:52:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Those sound pretty interesting. I hadn’t heard of any of them before. I’ve really enjoyed books on historical topics written from first hand accounts.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#10]
In Finland, they school kids are required to read Vaino Linna's Unknown Soliders about the soldiers of the war against Soviet imperialism.
Black Edelwiess is by a SS gebirgjager who fought in Finland and toward Murmansk.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In Finland, they school kids are required to read Vaino Linna's Unknown Soliders about the soldiers of the war against Soviet imperialism.
Black Edelwiess is by a SS gebirgjager who fought in Finland and toward Murmansk.
View Quote

The part I really like in BE was about when Finland switched sides and they walked North and crossed the border into Norway then made their way back down Norway to Germany.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The part I really like in BE was about when Finland switched sides and they walked North and crossed the border into Norway then made their way back down Norway to Germany.
View Quote

Then they fought and destroyed a cut off battalion from the Thunderbirds, 45th Infantry.  Alex Kershaw tells the story in The Liberator.  The battalion commander was pissed.  The regiment was supposed to capture a hill and only his battalion did.  He knew they were exposed and asked permission to withdraw.  Permission denied. Foreseeably, they were cut off and relief couldn't get through.  His battalion was destroyed.  Black Edelweiss tells the SS side of the story of that battle.  Both books should be read together.  The Thunderbirds thought they would be killed by the SS but the SS gebirgjager thought they fought honorably and the thought of executing the prisoners never entered their minds.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks just got my next purchase!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Very impressive collection!

If you need Finnish propaganda posters translated to English, I'm happy to try and help.

Quoted:
You should be able to zoom into the photos to read the titles.
Happy to answer questions on any of the ones shown...I may have a few others on other shelves or different rooms as I have been using them, or had them away for shows/displays

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/206836/finn_books__1__jpg-1858934.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/206836/finn_books__2__jpg-1858935.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/206836/finn_books__3__jpg-1858938.JPG

I'll try to arrange them better tomorrow & get a few photos in daylight
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/16/2021 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#15]
We die alone

This is less about the war and more about survival. Damn this guy was tough.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#16]
These are some great suggestions. Black Edelweiss is on my list of books to read now
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Very impressive collection!

If you need Finnish propaganda posters translated to English, I'm happy to try and help.
View Quote

Thanks
Not got many posters yet - but I collect all sorts of Finnish items from 1939-45, plus I've been doing re-enactment as an "inti" for a few years now.
Had an envelope a couple of days ago that took almost 7 weeks to reach me, with some propaganda postcards & such...

IF the WuFlu had not been a thing I HAD planned to get back to the TamArms show again, as well as a trip to Helsinki & maybe a trip to the SA-Kuva to see what I can find
A wartime dated ahkio is top of my list - as is a bicycle

kiitos
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top