Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2021 7:50:29 AM EDT
I did some work ony house over the summer and had to remove some siding. I discovered my 1985ish house has no OSB sheathing under the siding. Instead it seems to be sheathed in 1" thick foam insulation sheets where you would normally see OSB sheathing with house wrap over that and vinyl siding over that. If you remove a section of the foam, the framing is exposed and you can see inside my house from the outside. The siding probably isn't original to the house but I haven't checked to see when it might have been installed. Is this normal? Is my house going to collapse?
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:56:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I have seen it before and I think it is shit construction. I have no idea how that passes code. Not much help just my thoughts.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:00:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Your house isn’t going to collapse. Just bring it up to code.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:04:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Ive seen that before in TX. That would be pretty on par for a tract home, is your house in a development? No its probably not going to collapse so long as the framing hasnt rotted away.close it up asap tho.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Back in that era, code allowed for plywood/osb sheathing at all corners and foam board or tar impregnated board in the field.  No, your home isn’t going to collapse but if you’re going to R&R all the siding, I would go ahead and sheath it with 1/2” 4 ply.  Forget tyvek, use a fluid applied WRB.  Look at Spray Wrap MVP or CAT 5 by Prosoco or the MasterSeal AWB line by BASF.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:22:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Probably has let-in bracing, or sheer panels at the corners only as another poster said
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Back in that era, code allowed for plywood/osb sheathing at all corners and foam board or tar impregnated board in the field.  No, your home isn't going to collapse but if you're going to R&R all the siding, I would go ahead and sheath it with 1/2" 4 ply.  Forget tyvek, use a fluid applied WRB.  Look at Spray Wrap MVP or CAT 5 by Prosoco or the MasterSeal AWB line by BASF.
View Quote

Just out of curiosity why do you prefer the fluid applied WRB?

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:31:11 AM EDT
[#7]
We built them like that working with Habitat for Humanity. A little osb on the corners and the front.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:41:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Perfectly normal for the era. There is wind bracing installed on the corners of all the outside walls. The thought was foam board has a higher r value then plywood. The garage was probably built with osb.
Poked a lot of holes in foam board looking for studs installing siding back in the 80’s!
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:00:28 AM EDT
[#9]
We always used to joke about this style of construction that you could break in someone’s house with a utility knife.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:38:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Tract home special. Seen it a bunch in Texas and Az
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I have seen this before, your house should be fine.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:46:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Back in that era, code allowed for plywood/osb sheathing at all corners and foam board or tar impregnated board in the field.  No, your home isn't going to collapse but if you're going to R&R all the siding, I would go ahead and sheath it with 1/2" 4 ply.  Forget tyvek, use a fluid applied WRB.  Look at Spray Wrap MVP or CAT 5 by Prosoco or the MasterSeal AWB line by BASF.

First off, I live and work in FL so please consider that.

Fluid applied allows you to get in every single "nook and cranny" of an irregular surface, you simply cannot get totally sealed with Tyvek and tape.  We use it exclusively to ensure a complete secondary water infiltration barrier, particularly under stucco but also under siding.  The downside is that one can make a structure "too tight".  The mechanical guys will handle that by instructing fresh air into the HVAC system from outside.  Wood structures + Florida = rot so we are pretty particular about ensuring that secondary barrier.  The insurance carriers like it as well.  Bonus:  when penetrated with nails the WRB "self seals".
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:51:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Fluid applied allows you to get in every single "nook and cranny" of an irregular surface, you simply cannot get totally sealed with Tyvek and tape.  We use it exclusively to ensure a complete secondary water infiltration barrier, particularly under stucco but also under siding.  The downside is that one can make a structure "too tight".  The mechanical guys will handle that by instructing fresh air into the HVAC system from outside.  Wood structures + Florida = rot so we are pretty particular about ensuring that secondary barrier.  The insurance carriers like it as well.  Bonus:  when penetrated with nails the WRB "self seals".
View Quote

Do you know how much I fight this? I can usually make it happen with ICF, but anything "normal" I just get shouted down.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:59:24 AM EDT
[#14]
In my AO rigid foam sheathing is code. If you use plywood sheathing it will still get wrapped in rigid foam with the seams taped. The new combo products like  zip system it's combined into a single 4x8 sheet.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:00:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Do you know how much I fight this? I can usually make it happen with ICF, but anything "normal" I just get shouted down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a feeling you would chime in.  I'm just a dumbass GC, not a wizard like you HVAC guys.  

I just do what the experts tell me to do.  When someone asks what I do for a living, I tell them that I talk on the phone, complain, and write checks.

Also, is it bad that my vent hood sucks more air out of my house than my air handler moves?  
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I had a feeling you would chime in.  I'm just a dumbass GC, not a wizard like you HVAC guys.  

I just do what the experts tell me to do.  When someone asks what I do for a living, I tell them that I talk on the phone, complain, and write checks.

Also, is it bad that my vent hood sucks more air out of my house than my air handler moves?  
View Quote

My kids say I talk on the phone, ride around town, and draw lines.

Do you know how many homes on 30A have 900 CFM Viking kitchen hoods and no outside air? A few less than all of them, but not by much.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:17:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My kids say I talk on the phone, ride around town, and draw lines.

Do you know how many homes on 30A have 900 CFM Viking kitchen hoods and no outside air? A few less than all of them, but not by much.
View Quote

900?  Shit, I’m at either 1200 or 1400.  I can’t remember which.

No smoke when I blacken fish inside though.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:37:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We always used to joke about this style of construction that you could break in someone’s house with a utility knife.
View Quote

This is not something I had considered, thank you for giving me an additional anxiety.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ive seen that before in TX. That would be pretty on par for a tract home, is your house in a development? No its probably not going to collapse so long as the framing hasnt rotted away.close it up asap tho.
View Quote

The would sheath the corners of the wall with a sheet of 4x8 plywood. But nothing in the middle of the wall.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Consider yourself lucky. Mine only has black tar paper under the Hardie siding.

Terrible for sound and temp.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:32:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Consider yourself lucky. Mine only has black tar paper under the Hardie siding.

Terrible for sound and temp.
View Quote

Pretty common in CA only with stucco instead of siding.
Paper/tape, chicken wire, stucco.

It cost me a shitload more to have my addition sheathed with OSB instead of it being done that way. Wanted it to match the house that was sheathed when built.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:43:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This is not something I had considered, thank you for giving me an additional anxiety.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right?!!!   Not the older homes though.   Wood siding,  wood sheathing,  wood lathe and plaster on the interior.     New homes are super easy to penetrate unless you use plywood/zip wall system  or have a brick exterior.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:45:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

900?  Shit, I’m at either 1200 or 1400.  I can’t remember which.

No smoke when I blacken fish inside though.  
View Quote

No air conditioning either.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#24]
It's pretty common in other developed countries. We are the odd ones out for using sheathing.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tyvek patches suck and are subjectable in letting water in
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No air conditioning either.
View Quote

Meh, it catches up eventually, it’s only money.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top