Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2023 6:22:23 PM EDT
The original RE4 is one of the best video games of all time (when played on Nintendo Wii). RE4 Remake is a fantastic game and GOTY nominee, if not quite the "best of all time" the original was. My biggest complaint was the lack of Separate Ways...well, it's coming next week on September 21! It looks like they've changed the events of the story a little, similar to how they did the base game.

I'm slightly less excited because I don't care for the new Ada voice actor very much.

I'm more looking forward to VR (on PSVR2). RE8 is one of, if not the best VR experiences, and RE4 > RE8. This could easily catapult RE4 Remake to a high spot on an "all time" list.
side note: if you have a PS5, PSVR2 is worth it just for RE8 and Gran Turismo 7 (even if you don't go all in on a wheel and pedals).

I said in another thread that Starfield was an easy GOTY pick for me, but if the VR mode comes out this year, RE4R will almost certainly be my GOTY.

Resident Evil 4 - DLC Reveal Trailer | PS5, PS4 & PS VR2 Games
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#1]
About time they released it! Thanks for the info. I had forgotten all about keeping tabs on it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 1:09:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Resident Evil 4 Separate Ways - Launch Trailer
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Separate Ways takes ~4-5 hours to play through. A lot of the stuff that was "cut" from RE4R is included in some form here, which I thought was pretty cool.

Good deal for $10 if you're a fan.

Still not crazy about Ada's voice actor, though. She was pretty hit or miss, with her delivery falling completely flat more than once. It's more than likely the director's fault, as some lines are done very well, so she's capable enough.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Separate Ways takes ~4-5 hours to play through. A lot of the stuff that was "cut" from RE4R is included in some form here, which I thought was pretty cool.

Good deal for $10 if you're a fan.

Still not crazy about Ada's voice actor, though. She was pretty hit or miss, with her delivery falling completely flat more than once. It's more than likely the director's fault, as some lines are done very well, so she's capable enough.
View Quote

I'll probably pick it up on PS5 next month. My kid is doing a playthrough of RE4R right now and would like it, I think.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 11:21:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Free VR DLC to be released tonight at midnight EST.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 3:46:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Just played through the first 3 chapters in VR. WOW!

It's just the main story, no Separate Ways or Mercenaries.

The controls are almost identical to RE8 VR. Graphics appear to be better.

Leon is more fun to control though, because he handles weapons a lot better than Ethan. In gameplay terms, your ability to handle the pistol one-handed is significantly improved. Stabbing motherfuckers with the knife is very satisfying.

Some animations still go to 3rd person (ladder climbing, kicking) which is a little jarring.

This is the definitive Resident Evil experience.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 8:35:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just played through the first 3 chapters in VR. WOW!

It's just the main story, no Separate Ways or Mercenaries.

The controls are almost identical to RE8 VR. Graphics appear to be better.

Leon is more fun to control though, because he handles weapons a lot better than Ethan. In gameplay terms, your ability to handle the pistol one-handed is significantly improved. Stabbing motherfuckers with the knife is very satisfying.

Some animations still go to 3rd person (ladder climbing, kicking) which is a little jarring.

This is the definitive Resident Evil experience.
View Quote

Got me interested in picking this up now.

What setup are you using? Index, Meta?

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 12:39:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Got me interested in picking this up now.

What setup are you using? Index, Meta?

View Quote

PSVR2
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 2:08:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I took some screenshots in VR, but they don't really look like anything special - they don't capture what it looks like to be "in" the game world. Still, you can see a little bit how it looks different than playing normally.

I did take a couple pictures of weapons in each hand, as well as aiming down the sights of the pistol to get an idea of what that looks like.

Also, it's weird how dark they all are. It definitely wasn't that dark as I was playing.

Link Posted: 12/9/2023 2:36:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I've noticed the RE engine doesn't screen shot well for some reason.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 2:43:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've noticed the RE engine doesn't screen shot well for some reason.
View Quote

Yeah. I took a bunch of screenshots, and they all look terrible. The ones I posted were the best...

Wish I had a way to share what it really looks like in VR, because it's something special.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 6:40:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought a GameCube when the original Resident Evil 4 was released.
It was worth every penny.
Remake Evil 4... It looks great and all but feels like a generic modern 3d person game to me now.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 2:09:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I bought a GameCube when the original Resident Evil 4 was released.
It was worth every penny.
Remake Evil 4... It looks great and all but feels like a generic modern 3d person game to me now.
View Quote

I played the original on GameCube and PS2 and wasn’t crazy about it. Coming from console shooters like Halo, the movement and gunplay were awkward.

That all changed when it was released on the Nintendo Wii. Movement was still awkward, but the gunplay was legendary. It was one of the greatest gaming experiences of all time.

RE4R is solid out of the gate (building on the success of RE2R), but I played on PC where the aiming isn’t as awkward.

VR takes it to another level, making a really good game into a really great game.

It likely won’t have the impact of the original, due primarily to the lack of people with the necessary VR hardware, but it is one of the best experiences in the history of gaming.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I played the original on GameCube and PS2 and wasn’t crazy about it. Coming from console shooters like Halo, the movement and gunplay were awkward.

That all changed when it was released on the Nintendo Wii. Movement was still awkward, but the gunplay was legendary. It was one of the greatest gaming experiences of all time.

RE4R is solid out of the gate (building on the success of RE2R), but I played on PC where the aiming isn’t as awkward.

VR takes it to another level, making a really good game into a really great game.

It likely won’t have the impact of the original, due primarily to the lack of people with the necessary VR hardware, but it is one of the best experiences in the history of gaming.
View Quote

I played 4 on Gamecube. I loved it but I played 1, 2 and 3 a lot so the gameplay was an improvement.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 7:10:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

PSVR2
View Quote

I should have paid more attention to your first post. My bad on that.

If anyone has bought it for PC, you can play it in VR. Two mods make it easy.

REFramework

First Person Perspective

Guide to do this - https://www.howtogeek.com/how-to-play-resident-evil-4-remake-in-vr/

Be aware there are a few bugs but it is playable.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 3:14:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I still have a Wii set up just for RE4, beaten it a ton of times, and also played through Seperate Ways and Mercenaries more times than I can remember. Usually I'm playing Gran Turismo, but RE4 on the Wii is my favorite game ever.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Played through VR mode twice: once on normal, then a NG+ speed run with the Handcannon to unlock the Chicago Sweeper.

Debating attempting an S+ run to get the cat ears, but I don't really want to play again right away. Also, I'm not a fan a speed runs and limited saves.

I love VR mode though. It's incredibly fun. One of the most interesting things is how the "best" weapons are different. For example:
- In the regular game, there is a huge advantage to weapons with the laser sight (starter pistol, Killer 7 magnum), but in VR, you're using the real weapon sights, so it's up to you to aim it. What that means is the Killer 7, which is arguably better than the Broken Butterfly in the base game, is clearly inferior in VR.
- Aiming with scopes is a little more tricky in VR (partly due to the nature of the controllers and how hard it is to hold your free-floating hands steady), so I used rifles significantly less - though I felt that the 1903 was a little better in VR than base game. It was much harder to only fire a single shot with the M4 (whatever it's called in-game) and I wasted a ton of ammo with it.
- Further, aiming with submachine guns is much more difficult due to the recoil. It is ultimately easier to hip fire them (or pseudo-aim by holding the gun up, but not exactly using the sights), which obviously reduces accuracy at longer distances and wastes ammo in general. The LE-5 with a scope, which I used extensively in the base game, was basically useless in VR.

Ultimately that last point has me considering strategy for an S+ run: conventional wisdom is to use the Chicago Sweeper, but I think the ease of aiming the Handcannon (especially at longer distances) in VR might make it the better weapon.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File

I ended up using the Sweeper, and I think it is the better choice: having automatic fire to stagger bad guys made bypassing them easier (it would have taken longer to kill them with any weapon).

I was a little worried about running out of time near the end, but had 12 minutes and 19 seconds to spare

I wasted a little too much time in the Castle grabbing treasure and money, and killing everything. I wanted to upgrade the Sweeper's damage and buy a rocket launcher for the final boss, but ended up with almost double the money necessary. The last 30 or so minutes were a non-stop sprint since I knew I was cutting it close on time and thought I might run out.

I had no issue with the limited saves. I went into the last section with five left, and just started saving at every opportunity in case I got slowed down (and still only used four of them).

Honestly, I didn't really enjoy it, though it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. The only good thing is it didn't take long
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Capped off one of the greatest gaming experiences of my life. Only the 3rd platinum trophy I've ever obtained (FF7 Remake and Elden Ring are the other two).

In fairness, I might have completed the platinum in RE8 if achievements weren't restricted in VR mode.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top