Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2021 8:05:54 PM EDT
daily beater oil pan is leaking in a one inch area

major job to drop the pan and do it right with a full gasket replacement

selling the car this coming weekend

Has anyone been successful using a smear/spray on sealant product?

I mean, "has anyone actually DONE IT apart from watching Youtube vids and reading online forums"?

(Permatex offers a spray but it's not available locally without special order)
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#1]
My daily beater trucks oil pan had a few rust holes in it.  I used jb weld to repair.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:45:49 PM EDT
[#2]
If it’s leaking from the gasket tighten all the bolts all the way around, it’ll slow it down enough to not be noticeable.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it’s leaking from the gasket tighten all the bolts all the way around, it’ll slow it down enough to not be noticeable.
View Quote

thanks, but...

"one inch area"

all the bolts are tight

asked about personal experience with sealants
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My daily beater trucks oil pan had a few rust holes in it.  I used jb weld to repair.
View Quote

Good 'ol JB.

Have some, but didn't really want to make a permanent seal that somewhere down the road might have to sawed off.  

thanks
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Why wouldn't you just be honest with the potential buyer, rather than fuck him over later?

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Flex seal?  After thoroughly degreasing so it doesn’t just peel back off.

Whoever you sell this POS to is gonna be pissed when they figure out what you done.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:10:50 PM EDT
[#7]
They’ll never notice

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:24:04 PM EDT
[#8]
what kind vehicle?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:45:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
what kind vehicle?
View Quote

'02 Panzer

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I had bought a car where someone had done the exact same thing.
Except they put so much permatex gasket maker in between the pan and block, that a lot of it wound up breaking off and falling into the oil pan.
The result was no oil pressure on acceleration, which is why I got the car so cheap.  
Do the job properly, or lower the price so that the next person can have it done correctly.
You could try applying some sealer very carefully, and see if that works, but it's barely a band-aid fix.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:39:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Except they put so much permatex gasket maker in between the pan and block, that a lot of it wound up breaking off and falling into the oil pan.
The result was no oil pressure on acceleration, which is why I got the car so cheap.  
Do the job properly, or lower the price so that the next person can have it done correctly.
You could try applying some sealer very carefully, and see if that works, but it's barely a band-aid fix.
View Quote

"Has anyone been successful using a smear/spray on sealant product?

I mean, "has anyone actually DONE IT apart from watching Youtube vids and reading online forums"?

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:07:07 AM EDT
[#12]
112 lower oil pan comes off with a handful of e10 bolts and glues back on. Fix it right in an hour or so and give the guy a fresh oil change. Win/win.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:40:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

everyone has actually done SOMETHING before.. but whether it works for you is another thing completely.

yeah I’ve smeared sealers, jb weld and sprays that have worked... sometimes they didn’t...

I don't know if the ones that worked for me will work for you.. maybe some that didn't work for me will work for you?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:21:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Loosen pan bolts enough to slide in strips of paper, retighten, repeat until it stops
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#15]
fixed it today

small leak

simple solution

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I’ve seen a small hole on an oil pan fixed by draining the oil, brazing up the hole, and then allowing it to cool and refilling the oil. Worked fine. It was a low car and it hit a rock on a dirt road causing the damage.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:28:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can tell you what to do but i wont help you fuck someone over.
fix it. correctly.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I’ve seen a small hole on an oil pan fixed by draining the oil, brazing up the hole, and then allowing it to cool and refilling the oil. Worked fine. It was a low car and it hit a rock on a dirt road causing the damage.
View Quote

And I've seen an attempt to do this cause a BOOM when vapors ignited, fireball out drain plug hole!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top