Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2020 2:31:28 PM EDT
Anybody on the board ever so this?  Does anyone have any info about this kind of job, whether it is Navy or Coast Guard?
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Wasn't a rescue swimmer but I did a tour flying with them as a dry crewman what questions do you have?
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 6:07:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Coasties had that down to a science. Very well trained dudes.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Coasties had that down to a science. Very well trained dudes.
View Quote
BAMFs!
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 11:33:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wasn't a rescue swimmer but I did a tour flying with them as a dry crewman what questions do you have?
View Quote
I had a thread going a couple years back about my son’s process of applying to the Naval Academy. He didn’t make it and has been attending college. He has spoken a few times about enlisting and is interested in this. He will have about 90 credits by the end of this spring semester.

Edit:  naval rescue swimming eyesight standards are too stringent for my son’s uncorrected vision. Coast Guard may be his consideration now.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 1:11:15 AM EDT
[#5]
One thing to keep in mind for the Coast Guard swimmer route is that the route to swimmer school is not direct.  You'll do basic training, a non-rate tour as a boatie somewhere, then do the airman program at an air station, and then go off to swimmer school.  Just something to keep in mind.

All the swimmers I flew with impressed me with their physical and mental capabilities.  Truly impressive human beings.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 1:48:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I was a Navy SAR swimmer.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 2:08:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Navy rescue swimmers also man the door gun.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Navy rescue swimmers also man the door gun.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 4:38:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, he’s sticking with Navy. He’s definitely enlisting, also interested in EOD. He may or may not do laser eye surgery. But Dad is definitely proud of him!
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:59:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Overtorque:
All the swimmers I flew with impressed me with their physical and mental capabilities.  Truly impressive human beings.
View Quote

All of the swimmers that I had the pleasure to work with were very impressive physically.  They were beasts in the pool. Everyday, I’d make it a point to spend a few minutes with them in their shop.  Really good bunch of guys.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#11]
UPDATE:

Covid shut down has delayed his excursion to Great Lakes. With gyms and athletic centers still closed here, he has not taken his first PST. He is working out a lot and my grocery bill sucks.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Kid that used to live across the street became a Navy rescue swimmer. He flew in a chopper along side a carrier he was stationed on to rescue pilots that had to punch out. He said the training was brutally hard but I know he was incredibly proud of his job. He never had to rescue anyone. He later became a drone pilot and refused to tell me who he was working for. He was killing bad guys.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#13]
@noemjj
Can you tell us about some of the training and rescues?
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 11:17:52 AM EDT
[#14]
CG Swimmer story

Harrity is legit.  You may recognize him from the Jack Ryan series on Amazon.

Quoted:
@noemjj
Can you tell us about some of the training and rescues?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/9/2020 12:36:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I was a qualified rescue swimmer in the Corps in the early 80s.

Yeah I know CSB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top