Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/9/2021 8:22:00 PM EDT
With all of the BS going around, could you lock down ARFCOM by restricting it to team members only?

Locking it down would also prevent web bots from scanning each forum and posting it in search results and in public web pages.

ETA: And how about preventing new members (less than 500 posts) from accessing the general forums.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I second this suggestion.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Third.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#3]
We've been saying it for years.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Or at least make it where non-registered users can't see any of the discussion forums.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We've been saying it for years.
View Quote

This!

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:04:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Ad my vote for what it is worth, maybe this one will count.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Meh.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Agree

sorry I just noticed this is Site Suggestions.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:28:53 PM EDT
[#9]
But I don't pay anymore.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:22:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Please do this.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Additionally (and please hear me out on this, @GoatBoy), set up a VPN within the site itself, with access for paid members.  Maybe even only for members that have gone through some vetting.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Yesterday I said no to a similar post. But after today it’s a must. Get rid of or limit non members posts or ability to post. Something needs to change to protect the site from infiltration of leftist assholes that are attempting to ruin the forum.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yesterday I said no to a similar post. But after today it’s a must. Get rid of or limit non members posts or ability to post. Something needs to change to protect the site from infiltration of leftist assholes that are attempting to ruin the forum.
View Quote

How does site staff decide who is a leftist asshole and who is not? $25 won’t stop the trolls.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How does site staff decide who is a leftist asshole and who is not? $25 won’t stop the trolls.
View Quote

I don’t think a lot of people would want to pay to troll.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:22:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some already get paid to troll.  They'll just ask their handler to pony up for a membership.  

But yeah, have em put some skin in the game.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Some already get paid to troll.  They'll just ask their handler to pony up for a membership.  

But yeah, have em put some skin in the game.
View Quote

Even if they get banned it would be good to have some money go to the site

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Yep and raise it to $50
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

With the utmost respect, that's galactic sized naive.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:22:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yep and raise it to $50
View Quote

For members joining in 2021 and later, all prior members grandfathered in at original membership price
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:33:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
With all of the BS going around, could you lock down ARFCOM by restricting it to team members only?

Locking it down would also prevent web bots from scanning each forum and posting it in search results and in public web pages.
View Quote

Go ahead, make my day.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I say suspend any account after a certain date as well, unless that member can pass some sort of a test/vetting process.  

Might be a good discussion to pick the date.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:20:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:09:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Lol, I guess you guys were all in frats.

Personally, the idea of renting friends has never appealed to me.
View Quote

The military was the coolest frat I’ve ever been in.

I don’t think anybody joins ARFcom to make friends though
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#24]
do you really think you can stop big tech from taking us down?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:21:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Great idea!  The paywall is an insurmountable barrier to entry from someone committed to causing this site PR harm.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#26]
YES!
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:25:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Great idea!  The paywall is an insurmountable barrier to entry from someone committed to causing this site PR harm.
View Quote

May as well let the cause the site harm for free.

Paying to play here would cut down on that and cut down on scammers in the EE and the site would get money to fight the good fight after banning those trying to do the site harm.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#28]
If you do, I’ll go make my own gun forum. With blackjack, and hookers.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#29]
It's my great displeasure to say it, but I think it's time. At the very least, do whatever it takes to eliminate access to member text from posts, etc.,  by search engines.
It won't stop the glowies, but it will trim the vast army of useful idiots who delight in providing "tips" and data.
Make them do their own leg work,sure, but if you think it really makes a meaningful dent in the ability to dox or whatever, probably not.

Restaurants, taverns, churches. WHEN they let them open, IF they survive this.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#30]
I guess nobody pays any attention to the number of new paid accounts constantly trolling the fucking site?

As if $24 is any great deterrent.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#32]
ARFCOM  will need  the additional money to keep the Site up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:10:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Ad revenue is orders of magnitude greater than membership dues.  Guess what drives ad revenue, that's right, views.  Cutting off views would reduce overall income, period.

How exactly is arf going to "fight the good fight" if it's an echo chamber where no new eyes are allowed?

Y'all are as bad as the politicians, it's like you can never foresee the consequences of  actions....
View Quote

If you asked me 2 or maybe 3 weeks ago, I would have been all for a members only site. (Right after getting scammed for $1300 and successfully retrieving my money). Now, thanks to @Eat_Beef and another member that I unfortunately can't recall at the moment helped me to see that limiting the ability to buy items on the EE or requiring a members only environment doesn't help drive our cause. It doesn't help achieve a greater, larger or stronger community. After coming back from multiple deployments, I wanted to just pay my taxes, live my best life and be left alone. Well let me be the first to say, that is part of the problem and a fallacy that I have stopped.
We can all sit here and be upset that GoDaddy cut the cord or that liberal companies enforced their liberal views on us but we are all to blame. How many people have an iPhone? Shop at Wal-Mart? Use PayPal? Use Facebook? Are on Twitter? I'm not going to list them all but we allowed all the liberal companies to engrain themselves into our lives and now we're pissed off because they enforced their views within their company. How does 1 person do anything about this you ask? I'm not sure....

But what we can do is continue supporting the administration and mods of ARFCOM to make the best decisions to prevent us from being cut off again. I would be all for paying more to support a privately owned server with our own IP space and backup server to prevent all of our hard work and great information from being impacted by liberal companies (again). Why don't we have any pro 2A money transfer apps or pro 2A IT giants?

We have to start thinking past the "right now" and stop playing defense and reacting to negative change and telling ourselves that will be enough. In my humble opinion, the only way to do that is to come together as a sportsman/gun/freedom community. Many, many times we sadly can't even do that. If we make it a members only place and we kill ad revenue, new membership decreases, and we stifle the growth of our 2A freedoms for future generations, then what? Its not going to stop these criminals from scamming, they are patient, crafty and keep changing the rules of their game whether it be a scam or GoDaddy, they are all negatively impacting us.

Edit: Yes I'm part of the 2% that voted to do something else. Private server, IP space, etc is the other. If not, my vote is very openly and strongly No.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#34]
I started typing a reply to goatboy the other day about this. Just lock it down at the current membership... so we don’t get destroyed from the enemy infiltrating the site. I never sent it as I figured it was a non starter for them as the site wouldn’t be as profitable.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
But I don't pay anymore.
View Quote
Neither do I.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:54:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ad revenue is orders of magnitude greater than membership dues.  Guess what drives ad revenue, that's right, views.  Cutting off views would reduce overall income, period.

How exactly is arf going to "fight the good fight" if it's an echo chamber where no new eyes are allowed?

Y'all are as bad as the politicians, it's like you can never foresee the consequences of  actions....
View Quote
Excellent points.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#37]
We, as a collective whole, may be our own worst enemy.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#38]
At the least, no guest browsing. Have to login to see the site, and Team is still Team.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#39]
If limited to Team, Brownells would have limited exposure as the site would not provide them the traffic they want.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#40]
SECURE THE PERIMETER!!!!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#41]
My two cents is that GD should move to team and unpaid restricted to places where shit posting isn't allowed. Maybe we'll start attracting more quality and people would stop confusing the rest of the site as their GD follow on toilet bowl. Plus it would weed out those intending to harm & disrupt.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#42]
And how about preventing new members (less than 500 posts) from accessing the general forums?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:08:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Just require a login to access any forum.

Though to be honest it will be painful to not be able to use 3rd party search engines to find stuff here.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#44]
I tend to recall a few events in history where a group has decided to exclude "certain " individuals based on their assessment of how things should be.

As I recall, it worked out famously.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:28:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Maybe we need to be more disciplined with what we post. Just sayin'
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Yes, please
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:50:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I tend to recall a few events in history where a group has decided to exclude "certain " individuals based on their assessment of how things should be.

As I recall, it worked out famously.
View Quote

It worked great keeping the commies out!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:01:33 PM EDT
[#48]
ARMSLIST did that shit too, makes sense and cuts out the time-wasters
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:18:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I second this suggestion.
View Quote

I make a motion to restrict ARFCOM to TM's only!!

Link Posted: 3/7/2021 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top