Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2020 2:10:44 PM EDT
It would keep folks honest and not give a chance to back peddle. Maybe even make some think before posting.  I think it would be a hoot as well.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:16:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
It would keep folks honest and not give a chance to back peddle. Maybe even make some think before posting.  I think it would be a hoot as well.
View Quote

I edit all the time to fix my shit grammar. I think we should still have a way to view edits/revisions.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe in GD, but nowhere else. I also fix grammar and clean up my posts in the tech forum
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe in GD, but nowhere else. I also fix grammar and clean up my posts in the tech forum
View Quote
Yeah, that is a better idea.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:27:29 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don't want the edit feature, do not use it. Simple. I use it a lot.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:27:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I experience an odd phenomena... I do not see typos, misspellings or grammatical errors until after I press the "submit" key.... so for me its a "no." ymmv
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There already is an edit history that is saved for staff/mods to be able to review. The MAJORITY of edits are for corrections. Some are for self censoring. Very few are just to wipe away comments to backtrack, although it does happen.

I'm not for removing edits, but we can create an Edit time limit. This could be 20 minutes, an hours, or a day. It would however be limited to replies, as topics are edited all the time to add valuable information.
View Quote
I like it!

I think it would be amuzing. (see what I did there?)
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:34:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I too use it to fix my grammar. I do not see why edits would impact anyone emotionally enough to request the feature to be banned.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I too use it to fix my grammar. I do not see why edits would impact anyone emotionally enough to request the feature to be banned.
View Quote
Really?
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Where’s you proof the edit feature leads to dishonesty?

Several clear cut egregious examples?

Why do you bother?
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:51:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Where's you proof the edit feature leads to dishonesty?

Why do you bother?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Where’s you proof the edit feature leads to dishonesty?

Why do you bother?
View Quote

Lol, I've edited out snarky comments, hoping I don't get quoted before the edit, lol. But usually for grammar stuff or to add relevant info
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

If someone like the edit function has you that concerned....you need to log-out, and go do something else for a while.  ARFCOM is entertainment...nothing less, nothing more.

Relax......get out of the basement.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:57:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I edit all the time to fix my shit grammar. I think we should still have a way to view edits/revisions.
View Quote

Yeah, I edit to correct spelling at times, Never edit because I'm being attacked, or had a change of mind.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If someone like the edit function has you that concerned....you need to log-out, and go do something else for a while.  ARFCOM is entertainment...nothing less, nothing more.

Relax......get out of the basement.
View Quote
Lighten up Francis, it was a suggestion. I don't carry any weight around here so no one is taking away you ability to change your mind.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think Goatboy just dispelled that notion.

ETA For example I had just written "Godspeed" in response to the passing of a member's parent... I had always considered it to signify a swift passage to heaven. As an afterthought I googled it and came across the specific explanation that it was not considered appropriate for bereavement and I went back and edited/changed it.  It is good to know that Mods can see edits in "pit" worthy cases etc and EE issues
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There already is an edit history that is saved for staff/mods to be able to review. The MAJORITY of edits are for corrections. Some are for self censoring. Very few are just to wipe away comments to backtrack, although it does happen.
View Quote

These are all very valid reasons to keep the edit feature.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 9:32:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I experience an odd phenomena... I do not see typos, misspellings or grammatical errors until after I press the "submit" key.... so for me its a "no." ymmv
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

ETA...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top