Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2021 10:01:24 PM EDT
I have an attic full of leaky lawsuit pipe, knocking out a repipe with PEX this week. Any reason to remove the old iron pipe besides the few pieces necessary to patch in?  Using the stainless clamp method to connect the PEX.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:08:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Most plumbers leave it in the attic and walls after a repipe.
No reason to waste time removing it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:06:16 PM EDT
[#2]
TAKE IT OUT!
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:14:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TAKE IT OUT!
View Quote

pulling it out isnt my strong suit.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:20:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a bunch of target stand material you're not taking advantage of.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:26:19 PM EDT
[#5]
In the PNW I can't recall plumbing above head except for fire lines... is this a thing in your area?

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:07:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In the PNW I can't recall plumbing above head except for fire lines... is this a thing in your area?

View Quote

Here in the gulf coast a lot of homes have water heaters in the attic and the supply feeds into the floors of the attic, then down to fixtures. It will suck when my water heater goes out.  Its in the second story attic too.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:41:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

They don’t even have basements down south

Things that are done in the north everywhere aren’t necessarily done where it doesn’t freeze
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Got it, thanks!

Have BIL who is a plumber in Anchorage... he does have different tails of woe even compared to us...
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 2:56:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sounds like a bunch of target stand material you're not taking advantage of.
View Quote

This, it's good pipe, pull it and use it and then you don't have to worry about it being in the way of future work.

My house had gas lines plumbed to some fireplaces and such. Previous owner tore out the fireplaces and owner previous to hill took the tank with them when they moved. Pipe sat exposed for years, who knows what junk was in it. Every time I go in the crawlspace to check something I take a pipe wrench and pull some out and bring it out with me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Not removing old material after any renovation is a combination of poor craftsmanship and laziness.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not removing old material after any renovation is a combination of poor craftsmanship and laziness.
View Quote

To a certain extent yes. If you have to do additional demo to get to it then leave it there, but remove what you can get to.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#12]
When I redid the plumbing I removed all the old pipe.  I had a basement to work in and it was easy to do.
Hack saw and a sawz all  made it really easy to remove the stuff.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

We have water lines in our attic. Newer 2018 build. All of our ducting is overhead as well.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 8:38:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Like to remove any unnecessary weight from the roof trusses. And makes for cleaner refits.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

To a certain extent yes. If you have to do additional demo to get to it then leave it there, but remove what you can get to.
View Quote

I have a great sawzall .  The vertical runs will have to stay but will likely remove all the attic pipe.  It was nice to have it to stand on when working up there but I'll be adding some decking anyway.  I plan on selling it next year so doing the cost/benefit analysis on everything..  good thing I bought most of my PEX supplies for this project, appears it's going to be hard to come by for a few months with all the broken pipes from winterpocalypse.  Another member in my area posted he was having a difficult time sourcing 3/4" PEX and crimp rings. I may be a little short with 20 3/4" crimp clamps and 30 1/2". I should have just bought rolls of pipe. Was running red/blue and then couldn't get any more red 1/2 and 1/4 in 10 or 20' sections so I picked up white. I'll just sharpie it "hot."
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#16]
You can see where leaks have self sealed all along the pipe seam (hence the lawsuits)..

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Our interesting construction methods in the South.. Will be significantly cleaning up the routing of water heater supply and output lines.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Unless it is on the way there is no real reason to bother.

Same with abandoned electrical.

If you are doing the work it is just some labor.

If you are paying to have the work done the bill gets large rather quickly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top