Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2020 7:21:06 PM EDT
From what I am reading, either Eclipse or NetBeans would work for attempting to remote debug from Windows a C process running on Linux.
Not too familiar with either interface so some of the steps were unclear as well as the application is a bit complex to set up.
Anyone have simplified steps on how to do this especially with screen shots of dialog boxes and stuff?

Actually, if going from Linux to Linux is easier using Eclipse or NetBeans I could go that route but it will have to be 2 different machines as the source and run-time are on different machines.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#1]
gdbserver, run on target machine, and connect to your remote debugger instance over network or serial (or USB) with a gdb (or similar) instance.

Some setup to make the symbol tables accessible to both instances, and access to the source tree for source debugging.

There are debug servers for other debuggers, of course, with interfaces to different IDEs on different host and target operating systems, but linux target to linux host is probably the easiest. I usually mount the build tree over NFS or CIFS so the debugger client has access to the same directory in which the program is being built and run on the target system.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#2]
netbeans just uses gdb under the hood.  It can work, but it's a bit of a chore to setup.  Probably not any easier than just using gdbserver and connecting to it with local gdb from linux.  I wouldn't try from Windows, it's probably possible but it's just going to be a chore.  Setup a linux vm and use that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top