Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Some of the more academic merit badges would be hard to pull off at camp. I always tried to have fun at camp, like eating ants and setting shit on fire. I couldn't ever study civics in the middle of the woods.
View Quote
Yep

My boys had fun, my son got his eagle in four years and just enjoyed scouts vs chasing merit badges.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:52:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#3]
What have all of you eagle scouts given back to scouting? What have you done to make scouting better?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I can't imagine actually completing it from zero in two years without there being some bullshit pencil whipping. It sure as hell took me longer than that.

For those that don't know, the line in Red Dawn about boyscouts being a paramilitary organization has a real historical basis.  The polish boy scouts "grey ranks"  fought and died during the german occupation. Probably all three of the boys in the below picture died in Warsaw.  

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c9/Polish_Boy_Scouts_fighting_in_the_Warsaw_Uprising.jpg/800px-Polish_Boy_Scouts_fighting_in_the_Warsaw_Uprising.jpg

That picture should be right in the front of the damn BSA handbook.
View Quote
British Army officer Robert Baden-Powell started the Scouts because he was horrified watching urban British soldiers blunder about the African bush, getting slaughtered by natives and Boers. The Boers spooked the hell out of British leadership, they had no idea they were so unprepared for tough opponents and had assumed they'd just roll right over them.  Scouting started out explicitly as a primer for military service, and other countries adopted it for the same reason.  

The British aggressively pushed civilians to be ready for military service around the turn of the century.  For instance, there were rifle clubs absolutely everywhere using military arms.  At the end of WWI the government became scared of their own returning veterans and disgruntled people and spent most of their efforts since then trying to turn them into sheep.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#5]
My son quit on Jan 1. I'll miss the people because locally, we had good leadership. Nationally, BSA can kiss my ass. Not the BSA I grew up in.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What have all of you eagle scouts given back to scouting? What have you done to make scouting better?
View Quote

Just fyi...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Local radio show was fawning all over loacal girl who attained Eagle Scout this week.  

As an Eagle Scout I see it as one more thing liberals have taken from me.  Another thing that will not be forgotten.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Don’t forget to get your eagle required diversity merit badge kids !!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I made it to the rank of Life in the early 90's. Didn't do a community service project to get Eagle because I was too busy with the fire department explorers. I was also in the Order of the Arrow.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:19:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Anybody else remember when Boy Scouts of America explicitly said "we won't track or celebrate the first female Eagle Scouts" because it would seem like pandering?
View Quote
No, I don't recall them saying that.  Can you post a link to it?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Technically, given time-in-rank requirements, one could get Eagle in less than two years.

Theoretically, if a Scout is homeschooled and rolls a lot of the rank and merit badge requirements into their homeschool curriculum, the Scout could get the work done in less than two years.

But in most every case in which a Scout rockets to Eagle that fast, there's always the question of "did the Scoutmaster pencil-whip the requirements?"

Add in the fact that some boy Troops are known "Eagle mills" who "help and assist" the boys get Eagle rapidly and easily, and how they might have a sister Troop to whom they give the same help, and you could get these results.

I'm mainly pissed that I remember BSA EXPLICITLY SAYING when they announced they were letting girls in that they were NOT going to make a huge deal out of "the first female Eagle Scout" and now look where they are....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They've only had girls in for like 2 years. How do you get Eagle in 1-2 years?

Technically, given time-in-rank requirements, one could get Eagle in less than two years.

Theoretically, if a Scout is homeschooled and rolls a lot of the rank and merit badge requirements into their homeschool curriculum, the Scout could get the work done in less than two years.

But in most every case in which a Scout rockets to Eagle that fast, there's always the question of "did the Scoutmaster pencil-whip the requirements?"

Add in the fact that some boy Troops are known "Eagle mills" who "help and assist" the boys get Eagle rapidly and easily, and how they might have a sister Troop to whom they give the same help, and you could get these results.

I'm mainly pissed that I remember BSA EXPLICITLY SAYING when they announced they were letting girls in that they were NOT going to make a huge deal out of "the first female Eagle Scout" and now look where they are....

My buddies son is Eagle. Just got it.

His service project took over 1 year alone.

It’s a farce.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Honestly, I saw the writing on the wall and barely followed through with getting Eagle Scout. I won't give sanction to something that can only go to supporting an evil ideology that idolizes the government and denigrates the individual.

If you want to rebuild masculinity and the west you need to put rational self interest of the individual as a primacy, not altruism and self sacrifice. To answer your question, I quit.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:47:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
British Army officer Robert Baden-Powell started the Scouts because he was horrified watching urban British soldiers blunder about the African bush, getting slaughtered by natives and Boers. The Boers spooked the hell out of British leadership, they had no idea they were so unprepared for tough opponents and had assumed they'd just roll right over them.  Scouting started out explicitly as a primer for military service, and other countries adopted it for the same reason.  

The British aggressively pushed civilians to be ready for military service around the turn of the century.  For instance, there were rifle clubs absolutely everywhere using military arms.  At the end of WWI the government became scared of their own returning veterans and disgruntled people and spent most of their efforts since then trying to turn them into sheep.
View Quote

Ever since the Bill Clinton years, BSA national HQ has done everything in its power to disavow Boy Scouting's military roots.   It fucking shows, too.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:50:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anybody else remember when Boy Scouts of America explicitly said "we won't track or celebrate the first female Eagle Scouts" because it would seem like pandering?

They've taken it down, but in the FAQ 2+ years ago when they first announced girls in Cub Scout Pack and Boy Scout Troops, they had a statement that they would not be tracking or celebrating the first female Eagle Scout because they didn't want Scouting for girls to solely about making Eagle.  I saw it and remarked at the time that it indicated they KNEW the public's eye would be on "OMG, who will be the first female Eagle Scout?"
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

This here.  The soonest it could be done is in 3 years.  They sure are anxious to make a statement.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Dads working his ass off to make at least three times as much money than his forebears to provide the same middle-class lifestyle his parents knew.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can guess at least part of why they abandoned the “boys into men” thing...when I was in Scouts we had all male leaders; blue-collar dads with real skills who would teach the kids then go off and hang out while the kids were bonding.

I watched a troop of Scouts walk our neighborhood last year putting out bags for the yearly food donation. Know what I saw? ONE dad leader - ALL the rest of the ten or so adults were MOMS. At least the Scouts were all still boys - but I was honestly sad for these kids that their dads couldn’t be bothered to be involved. And this wasn’t some ‘hood where the kids don’t have dads in their lives, this is middle class suburbia.

Dads working his ass off to make at least three times as much money than his forebears to provide the same middle-class lifestyle his parents knew.

thatsabingo.gif
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I attained Life Scout and was in the Order of the Arrow.Then I caught cat scratch fever and the Boy Scouts didn’t seem very interesting after that.

Allowing girls in is bad enough but allowing gays in is letting the wolf in with the sheep.There’s no way in Hell I’d let my son join the scouts today.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:59:48 PM EDT
[#18]
"Your Son, Darlene, is member of Mediocre Transgender Outdoor Organization; Eagle Scout"
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I can't imagine actually completing it from zero in two years without there being some bullshit pencil whipping. It sure as hell took me longer than that.

For those that don't know, the line in Red Dawn about boyscouts being a paramilitary organization has a real historical basis.  The polish boy scouts "grey ranks"  fought and died during the german occupation. Probably all three of the boys in the below picture died in Warsaw.  

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c9/Polish_Boy_Scouts_fighting_in_the_Warsaw_Uprising.jpg/800px-Polish_Boy_Scouts_fighting_in_the_Warsaw_Uprising.jpg

Same thing was happening in the United States. We were building high schools with rifle ranges starting in the 1870s - and not just smallbore. ROTC started in that era in full swing, and the precursors to what would become JROTC in high schools as well. These were, in many places mandatory programs. A lot of effort has been made to erase that history.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:07:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm rather surprised the boy scouts still exist tbh
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Why the fuck does BSA have to let in girls, but the Girl Scouts can stay the Girl Scouts?
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:25:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You can wrestle above your weight class but not below it. Metaphor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why the fuck does BSA have to let in girls, but the Girl Scouts can stay the Girl Scouts?

You can wrestle above your weight class but not below it. Metaphor.

True, but they don't rewrite the rules to allow the skinny kid to win too.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:37:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Partly. Maybe. More like Bubba needs to work his ass off to pay off the loans for the bass boats, HD tv’s, ATVs, RV and brand new 80K tricked out 3/4 ton diesel.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:39:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Partly. Maybe. More like Bubba needs to work his ass off to pay off the loans for the bass boats, HD tv’s, ATVs, RV and brand new 80K tricked out 3/4 ton diesel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think both examples cover the bulk of the issue, frivolous spending AND rampant inflation.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I was actually glad when my son decided that he wanted out of scouts in 2013. It was going downhill fast. I was an assistant scoutmaster that had gone through a bunch of schools and one of the few adults in a large troop that would take time off for the summer camps to go with them.

The scoutmaster had the gall to say "we spent a lot of money for your schools" when I let him know I was gone with my son. I corrected him that they didn't give me a damn dime even when I asked for it.

Someone else brought up about 8,000 rounds of .22 that I scrapped up with my own money after Sandy Hook to have a shooting event for the troop. He implied that I should give them the ammo. I told him and a few others that I hadn't gotten a nickel so the ammo was staying with me. This troop had some well off families so I didn't feel bad about it.

I grew up in Scouting in the late sixties and early seventies and it is a lot different now, and not in a good way.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:16:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
In my experience the Boy Scouts sucked 40 plus years ago but I have friends that had great experiences in their troops.  Hopefully good troops still exist but as a whole I was never impressed with the organization.
View Quote

I achieved Eagle in 96'. I was also lucky enough to grow up 10 miles from Broad Creek Scout Reservation. Scouts was fun, we learned many many valuable lessons. We actually learned survival, had programs to complete, we actually had to learn and perform. The Jamborees we traveled to were competitive. If you weren't first or second at the end of the weekend, you might as well have been last.  We had s regiment and every morning started with PT.  

I honestly don't think they could get away these days with what we did back then. Society has gone in the gutter. Places we camped, we would have a day hike. No parents. Older scouts had to look after and teach the younger scouts. Hikes started after breakfast and would end around 1 to 5 depending on how many miles we had to do.

Heck for wilderness survival a group of 8 of us left into the wilderness for 3 days/2 nights, with a eagle scout guide, our knife, map and compass, fire starter, canteen filled with water, 10 ft of string, 1 baggie of snack mix, a fishing line and hook, a change of clothes all in our back pack. We had to trap, fish, make shelter all the cool ass stuff without a single adult. The final day was a 7 mile hike to a parking lot for the parents to pick us up. No cell phones back then either.

The best trip was at Catoctin National Park and our day hike took up over by Camp David. We did some exploring and the Miltary intervened with guns drawn and we got a ride back to camp....
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can guess at least part of why they abandoned the “boys into men” thing...when I was in Scouts we had all male leaders; blue-collar dads with real skills who would teach the kids then go off and hang out while the kids were bonding.

I watched a troop of Scouts walk our neighborhood last year putting out bags for the yearly food donation. Know what I saw? ONE dad leader - ALL the rest of the ten or so adults were MOMS. At least the Scouts were all still boys - but I was honestly sad for these kids that their dads couldn’t be bothered to be involved. And this wasn’t some ‘hood where the kids don’t have dads in their lives, this is middle class suburbia.

This. Or impoverished by means of a divorce with children involved.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Making BSA into GSA doesn't fix that issue. Same problem as New Yorkers moving to Florida and voting for the same policies that made NY a shithole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BSA is dead to me but can you really blame girls for wanting in the Scouts?  GSA has been nothing but leftist/lesbian indoctrination and cookie sales for >20yrs.  They don't do any "scout" stuff anymore.  BSA still does.  Believe it or not girls like doing outdoor stuff and that's not in the plan for GSA leadership.

Making BSA into GSA doesn't fix that issue. Same problem as New Yorkers moving to Florida and voting for the same policies that made NY a shithole.

NYers don’t move to Florida to get away from the NY politics. They do it for the warm weather and cheap real estate.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yup. They ruin everything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We seem to do that a lot.  Walk away and leave institutions to them.

I think you missed the point.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
British Army officer Lieut-Gen, The Lord Robert Baden-Powell started the Scouts because he was horrified watching urban British soldiers blunder about the African bush, getting slaughtered by natives and Boers. The Boers spooked the hell out of British leadership, they had no idea they were so unprepared for tough opponents and had assumed they'd just roll right over them.  Scouting started out explicitly as a primer for military service, and other countries adopted it for the same reason.  

View Quote
That was a common reaction in most of Europe, as a lot of the problems in Europe now can be traced to the post-WW1 events, mainly the widespread Bolshevik uprisings in several countries following the example of the Russian Revolution.
The British government took this as an opportunity to bring in the first real gun laws here.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

True, but they don't rewrite the rules to allow the skinny kid to win too.
View Quote

Skinny kid stays in his weight class, not above it.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm an Eagle Scout and I have been involved in everything my son has done in scouting.  I've been anything from a committee member to my current Assistant Scout Master position.  I attend as many Round Table meetings as possible.  I'm also a merit badge counselor and I run at least 2 trips a year for the boys.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After seeing what happened in Russia and what was happening in Germany with the Freikorps, every government, including ours, went out of their way to disarms mere civilians. Ours just used the Roaring 20s as the excuse, but the Bonus Army was what really scared them into the NFA.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
BSA is dead to me but can you really blame girls for wanting in the Scouts?  GSA has been nothing but leftist/lesbian indoctrination and cookie sales for >20yrs.  They don't do any "scout" stuff anymore.  BSA still does.  Believe it or not girls like doing outdoor stuff and that's not in the plan for GSA leadership.
View Quote

And now BSA will do those things, too.

The problem is leadership.  Female leadership.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:41:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

MBAs told them “you are cutting out half your potential market. DOUBLE YOUR MEMBERSHIP WITH THIS ONE EASY TRICK!”

and of course it backfired because the MBAs don’t understand why boys join BSA or why parents get involved. The MBAs (like many people who were never Boy Scouts) thought it was just Camping Club or Knots & First Aid Youth Group.  They did not realize it is a program for leadership development through experiential learning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BSA has a program, separate from the formerly traditional scout troops, called Venturing. Venture Crews did all the outdoors stuff the troops did and more, they were more geared towards high adventure activities like rock climbing, scuba diving, and land navigation. They were also co-ed and have a different age cut off, 14-21 I think were the ages. So I’m not sure why BSA felt the need to destroy the traditional troops when they already had girl friendly programs.

MBAs told them “you are cutting out half your potential market. DOUBLE YOUR MEMBERSHIP WITH THIS ONE EASY TRICK!”

and of course it backfired because the MBAs don’t understand why boys join BSA or why parents get involved. The MBAs (like many people who were never Boy Scouts) thought it was just Camping Club or Knots & First Aid Youth Group.  They did not realize it is a program for leadership development through experiential learning.

Other MBAs told their corporate BODs "you're opening yourself to lawsuits and boycotts from the Velvet Mafia if you dare to support a group that doesn't include gays, trannies, girls, etc!"

The sexual abuse lawsuit feeding frenzy was in response to blood in the water from the previous corporate strongarm job.  Once the Scouts ceased to be respectable, victims (and opportunist lawyers) felt confident in destroying the org without repercussions.

There was a time when even a victim wouldn't sue such a vaunted and respected institution that does indeed stand for a very noble cause.  It would be unseemly; they would instead sue the actual person responsible.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Because boys are sexist and girls can't be.  
View Quote

And those cookies, man.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We seem to do that a lot.  Walk away and leave institutions to them.

And we refuse to defend them.  Every time.

"Tell you what, Big Corpo; if you aren't happy with how we operate, which is how we've operated for fifty years, you can shove you donation up your ass.  We aren't compromising our principles to cover your ass.  And we'll be sure to tell the press that you're trying to blackmail the BS-fucking-A into betraying ourselves to promote your pet political cause."

"So you want to be a BSA director; do you have *any* first hand experience as a scout?  What's that, you couldn't because you're a woman?  What's that, your liberal parents boycotted us?  Too bad."

We don't fight.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

This..... I never made eagle and I was in scouts from cub scouts into high school before moving a 3rd time and saying f it

ETA To elaborate I was in an AWESOME troop. Several of our leaders were Vietnam vets. We hiked, camped, built shit and did amazing stuff all the time. Pretty much everyone was in really good shape, involved in sports and was extremely into it. We always chose the most remote camp sites and even volunteered to reclaim, improve and use old over grown sites. We all rolled with packs and split patrol equipment up. I loved it.

When we moved I wound up in a shitty troop full of misfits. Everything was car camping. They would always pick the sites closest to parking and roads. Lazy fucks would even order pizza. Most kids would show up carrying arm loads of unnecessary shit. Bags of candy, magazines etc. I already out ranked almost everyone by alot and there was no drive to advance. I think I arrived at star and juuuussssttt made life when I left 2 years later. I fkn hated it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
After DoD harped for so long on how the whole homosexual thing would never be celebrated, and it was less than 3 years before we had an official LGBT pride month declared (https://dod.defense.gov/News/Special-Reports/0616_pride-archive/), this doesn't surprise me in the least.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.
View Quote

"We just want equality to control EVERYTHING!"
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#40]
I've seen 2 girls come through at work who were both dressed in BSA attire. The first one was right after they made the "big announcement". The second one was just a few days ago. I just shook my head and walked away. I knew if I stayed around them I'd probably have said something to the parents that would've gotten me fired (or worse).

I had a coworker ask me, "Was that a girl in a Boy Scout uniform?"
I said, "Yep."
"What the hell is up with that shit?"
"Well, thanks to the fucking leftist garbage in this country, it's now OK for girls to join the Boy Scouts. But it's not OK for boys to join the Girl Scouts."

And for the record, my mom disagrees with this nonsense, too. She said it's bullshit to allow girls in the Boy Scouts.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:31:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

And we refuse to defend them.  Every time.

"Tell you what, Big Corpo; if you aren't happy with how we operate, which is how we've operated for fifty years, you can shove you donation up your ass.  We aren't compromising our principles to cover your ass.  And we'll be sure to tell the press that you're trying to blackmail the BS-fucking-A into betraying ourselves to promote your pet political cause."

"So you want to be a BSA director; do you have *any* first hand experience as a scout?  What's that, you couldn't because you're a woman?  What's that, your liberal parents boycotted us?  Too bad."

We don't fight.
View Quote

Plenty of us fight, we just get overruled by BSA HQ.

Part of my frustration is that HQ jerks off feverishly over "LOOK HOW MANY EAGLE SCOUTS ARE ON THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS" yet don't understand that Eagle Scouts don't know jack shit about RUNNING a Troop unless they were also an adult leader at some point.  I've been a Troop Committee Chair, ASM, and merit badge counselor. There's a lot you learn as an adult leader that you never know if you were only a Scout.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Well, BSA just shit all over that promise.

BE THE CHANGE!! Join us for a celebration of service, leadership and the groundbreaking accomplishments of the first female Eagle Scouts.
View Quote

Honestly, there's been no integrity in the BSA at least since I was a scout in the 90s.

This is no surprise at all.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:43:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Sitting on a BSA gas well right now. Dropped out as a child bc our troop was a joke.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#44]
I miss all those funky ads in the back of Boy's Life, like chameleons, hovercraft plans, x ray glasses and stuff.

As a 12 year old boy that shit was cool
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe the moms were single moms. It happens in suburbia too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#46]
My family left BSA
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:03:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am generally not a fan of moms being involved as ASMs in boy Troops.  

Boys at that age don't respond to or listen to women like they do with men.  

The moms cannot model proper adult male behavior for them.  

And finally, the moms rarely understand that the point isn't for the boys to complete the task 100%; the point is for the boys to work together as a team and learn/grow from the experience.  This is why the good SM/ASMs let the boys figure out the task for themselves (after giving them some training and guidance), then at the end follow up with "so what did we learn from this?"  instead of stopping the boys, taking over, and doing it for them -- which moms tend to do.  Frankly, that's not so much a "mom" issue as an issue with anyone who is unacquainted with how Boy Scouting works, but men are much more receptive to correction on this issue.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Boys won't join the girls scouts. That would prove they were pussies.

I know several eagle scouts. All made it to Eagle right around their 17th birth day. All are now former Mil. They stayed active until the BSA let the openly gay men, and all were out when they let in girls. THEY ALL to a T stopped having anything to do with Scouting or the BSA and encouraged all others to stop. They didn't burn or mail back shit they earned it key keep it. They do things now like help young kids (Boys and Girls) learn "basic field craft", "Advanced First aid" and "Gun Craft". They all say that will be much more important than "Stinking Badges" and titles.

"Gun Craft" is basically learning about all guns. Clint Smith calls it "Being a Student of Weapons Craft".  They start with Bolt action 22's, and single shot 20 gauge shotguns, then go to Ruger 10/22's pump action shotguns Semi auto 22 Pistols, then to M&P Sport 22's Semi auto 22 pistols and semi auto shotguns. Once they have gotten competent and "SAFE" they move them on to bigger and larger handguns and rifles.  All while learning how to take apart the guns and clean and reassemble. ALL while learning how to make the gun work when it goes down.

They ALL tell me this will be needed in the future. They ALL say they are about ready to form a new type of Scouts! They are just afraid to do it and it turn out looking something like the "Hitler Youth".  

For the record I am not a scout nor have ever been one. I used to tell parents to take their kids to scouts. Now I send them to my "Eagle Friends" as I refer them. BUT the number of people I send to them is down a lot. Most parents now are Loons and their kids are all pussies or woke enough now.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boys won't join the girls scouts. That would prove they were pussies.

I know several eagle scouts. All made it to Eagle right around their 17th birth day. All are now former Mil. They stayed active until the BSA let the openly gay men, and all were out when they let in girls. THEY ALL to a T stopped having anything to do with Scouting or the BSA and encouraged all others to stop. They didn't burn or mail back shit they earned it key keep it. They do things now like help young kids (Boys and Girls) learn "basic field craft", "Advanced First aid" and "Gun Craft". They all say that will be much more important than "Stinking Badges" and titles.

"Gun Craft" is basically learning about all guns. Clint Smith calls it "Being a Student of Weapons Craft".  They start with Bolt action 22's, and single shot 20 gauge shotguns, then go to Ruger 10/22's pump action shotguns Semi auto 22 Pistols, then to M&P Sport 22's Semi auto 22 pistols and semi auto shotguns. Once they have gotten competent and "SAFE" they move them on to bigger and larger handguns and rifles.  All while learning how to take apart the guns and clean and reassemble. ALL while learning how to make the gun work when it goes down.

They ALL tell me this will be needed in the future. They ALL say they are about ready to form a new type of Scouts! They are just afraid to do it and it turn out looking something like the "Hitler Youth".  

For the record I am not a scout nor have ever been one. I used to tell parents to take their kids to scouts. Now I send them to my "Eagle Friends" as I refer them. BUT the number of people I send to them is down a lot. Most parents now are Loons and their kids are all pussies or woke enough now.  

Well, seeing as the Hitler Youth were pretty obviously a nationalist knock-off of Boy Scouts...that desire is probably impossible.

Nevermind the fact that the Hitler Youth were probably the least awful organ of the Nazi regime, lol (admittedly a very low bar).  It is kinda akin to swearing off water because Hitler drank it on occasion.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Honestly, I saw the writing on the wall and barely followed through with getting Eagle Scout. I won't give sanction to something that can only go to supporting an evil ideology that idolizes the government and denigrates the individual.

If you want to rebuild masculinity and the west you need to put rational self interest of the individual as a primacy, not altruism and self sacrifice. To answer your question, I quit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:38:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I achieved Eagle in 96'. I was also lucky enough to grow up 10 miles from Broad Creek Scout Reservation. Scouts was fun, we learned many many valuable lessons. We actually learned survival, had programs to complete, we actually had to learn and perform. The Jamborees we traveled to were competitive. If you weren't first or second at the end of the weekend, you might as well have been last.  We had s regiment and every morning started with PT.  

I honestly don't think they could get away these days with what we did back then. Society has gone in the gutter. Places we camped, we would have a day hike. No parents. Older scouts had to look after and teach the younger scouts. Hikes started after breakfast and would end around 1 to 5 depending on how many miles we had to do.

Heck for wilderness survival a group of 8 of us left into the wilderness for 3 days/2 nights, with a eagle scout guide, our knife, map and compass, fire starter, canteen filled with water, 10 ft of string, 1 baggie of snack mix, a fishing line and hook, a change of clothes all in our back pack. We had to trap, fish, make shelter all the cool ass stuff without a single adult. The final day was a 7 mile hike to a parking lot for the parents to pick us up. No cell phones back then either.

The best trip was at Catoctin National Park and our day hike took up over by Camp David. We did some exploring and the Miltary intervened with guns drawn and we got a ride back to camp....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In my experience the Boy Scouts sucked 40 plus years ago but I have friends that had great experiences in their troops.  Hopefully good troops still exist but as a whole I was never impressed with the organization.

"SCOUTS INSIDE THE WIRE!  REPEAT: SCOUTS INSIDE THE WIRE!"
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top