Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 7/29/2021 10:55:20 AM EDT
Attachment Attached File
Photos of wounds attached if your weak of constitution.Attachment Attached File

We have been to 2 vets, done lots of inconclusive tests. Both Drs have come to similar conclusions but dog isn't getting better and I'm really worried I'm going to be burying a 3.5 year old dog soon. So on the chance someone here has an idea my Vets have missed.
3.5 year old 75 lb Dutch shepherd, fixed male.
Lives in s Fl, goes to beach 4 days a week.  Spent a week in Tennessee in April, played in forest, rivers and pond, did find a few ticks on him while we were there, but he was on preventative.
Started scooting June 10 , took to the vet the next day.
Vet noticed puncture wound 1 inch below anus, proscribed  antibitoics and a cone. Blood work clean, parasite test clean.4 days later dog destroyed cone and licked all the fur off butt area, 2  ulcers opend on his back and near original puncture wound. Beliving bite was brown recluse due to necrosis around wounds Vet changed antibiotics to orbax, do put on anti anxiety, pain killer 2 cones and 24 hour supervision. Week later new wounds opening up now cover
waist to tail top of back did culture and biopsy.. no strange bacteria. Continued  on antibiotics, wounds heal and then new ones opening. When open wounds weep blood, never pus.  2nd vet reruns all original tests then recommend cancer biopsy,  negative result, fungal negative result, recommends continue on course of treatment, agrees that first vet was likely correct with spider bite and that it can cause months of tissue death.
Now we have new spots opening where they have previously healed.   Dog is stoned 24 hours a day to keep him from trying to get to it and he's miserable. He cant get walks because the open wounds. Our other dog is kept seperate just incase its something transmistable to her, she's miserable. Im not sure what to do next, looking at him kills me.  
Attachment Attached File

First photo is of the under tail area around day 4, looks like a fistula, but cleared up shortly after and has not returned.. Other photo is this morning on one rear leg, has similar wounds up to waist area on both sides. Some leak blood or clear, never any pus.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 11:12:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#2]
If it’s seriously debilitating and ongoing with no end in sight, I’d be having serious conversations with the vet about possible amputation. Although I’m not certain if that would help avoid further bodily trauma if it’s already affecting other areas.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Could it be porcupine quills. The dog could’ve rubbed and chewed off the entry sites but the quills continue to work their way through the body.
Poor baby. I do hope you find out what’s going on and are able to find a remedy.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 4:43:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Did you look into heterobilharzia?

Those wounds look similar to my dog's as the result of heterobilharzia contracted from swimming in a shallow pond.

ETA: It is a southern state thing (Florida through Texas).
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top