Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2020 8:58:26 PM EDT
I have become obsessed with  Red Beans and Rice.  I make them and carry to different people to give away as well as eat them often myself.  

Does anyone have anything to make them even better or a technique that is not commonly known or used?  I use Camelia Brand.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 9:30:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Just made a batch Sunday that we're still eating.

Mine goes like this. I'm not big on measuring.

- 1 lb dried kidney beans
- about 1 lb smoked ham
- couple green peppers
- few stalks celery
- couple onions
- half a head or so of garlic
- fresh ground pepper
- water, some beer, broth if you have it

I start the beans in the slow cooker or in a pot on the stove. I like to start the early and warm em slow for a good texture.

I cube the ham and after the beans have had a couple hours I add it.

I cube the veggies and mince the garlic and after the beans and ham have had a few hours I add them too.

I let it cook together a few more hours and then serve over fresh Jasmine rice with a good dose of tapatio hot sauce.

Make sure the beans at some point in the process boil for a good 10 mins at least to destroy the Phytohaemagglutnin. People have gotten sick from kidney beans not being cooked enough. Alternatively you can soak them and boil for 10 mins before you start. I just think that warming them slow gives them a better texture.

Link Posted: 4/1/2020 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Forgot to add in the whole reason I posted as you asked about anything different.

So my wife loves tomato based soups, chili, etc.

So this time I decided we'd try a slightly tomatoey RB&R. Towards the end I stirred in a big can of tomato paste. To be honest it didn't impact much of a tomato taste, but made a nice gravy with the beans. Might do it again
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just made a batch Sunday that we're still eating.

Mine goes like this. I'm not big on measuring.

- 1 lb dried kidney beans
- about 1 lb smoked ham
- couple green peppers
- few stalks celery
- couple onions
- half a head or so of garlic
- fresh ground pepper
- water, some beer, broth if you have it

I start the beans in the slow cooker or in a pot on the stove. I like to start the early and warm em slow for a good texture.

I cube the ham and after the beans have had a couple hours I add it.

I cube the veggies and mince the garlic and after the beans and ham have had a few hours I add them too.

I let it cook together a few more hours and then serve over fresh Jasmine rice with a good dose of tapatio hot sauce.

Make sure the beans at some point in the process boil for a good 10 mins at least to destroy the Phytohaemagglutnin. People have gotten sick from kidney beans not being cooked enough. Alternatively you can soak them and boil for 10 mins before you start. I just think that warming them slow gives them a better texture.

View Quote
You forgot the Tony's and Rotel.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#5]
This is the recipe I use.

1 lb. dry red beans 2 Tbsp cooking oil
2 lbs Andouille sausage
1 yellow onion
1 green bell pepper
3 ribs celery
4 cloves garlic
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp paul prudhomme blackened redfish magic
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
2 bay leaves
6 cups water
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 Tbsp salt, or to taste
1.5 cups long grain white rice
3 green onions

INSTRUCTIONS

The night before, add the dry beans to a large bowl with double their volume in water. Allow the beans to soak in the refrigerator overnight.
When you're ready to start cooking, slice the sausage into rounds.
Add the cooking oil and sliced sausage to a large pot and cook over medium until the sausage pieces are browned.
Remove the cooked sausage with a slotted spoon to a clean bowl.
Place the cooked sausage in the refrigerator while you prepare the rest of the dish.
While the sausage is cooking, dice the onion, bell pepper, and celery. Mince the garlic.
After removing the cooked sausage, add the onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic to the pot. Saut over medium heat, allowing the moisture from the vegetables to help dissolve any browned bits off the bottom of the pot as you stir.
Add the smoked paprika, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, black pepper, and bay leaves to the pot. Stir and cook for one minute more.
Drain and rinse the soaked beans. Add them to the pot along with 6 cups water and give the pot a brief stir to combine the ingredients.
Place a lid on the pot, turn the heat up to medium-high, and bring it up to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down to medium-low, and let the pot boil for one hour, stirring occasionally. Replace the lid every time you stir.
After boiling for one hour, the beans should be tender. Begin to smash the beans with the back of a spoon against the side of the pot.
Continue smashing the beans and letting the pot simmer without a lid for 30 minutes to thicken the pot.
While the beans are simmering for their final 30 minutes, cook the rice.
Add the rice and 3 cups water to a sauce pot. Place a lid on top, turn the heat on to high, and bring it up to a boil.
Once boiling, turn the heat down to low and let the rice simmer for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes, turn the heat off and let the rice rest for 5 minutes without removing the lid. Fluff the rice with a fork before serving.
Once the red beans have thickened, add the cooked sausage back to the pot along with 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley. Stir to combine.
Taste the red beans and add salt to your liking. Start with 1 tsp and add more as needed. I used 1 Tbsp total (3 tsp).
Serve the red beans in a bowl topped with a scoop of rice and a sprinkle of sliced green onions.

Link Posted: 4/2/2020 12:12:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Tagging for good recipes!
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Emeril's recipe is pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#8]
These all sound good and I will check out Emirils.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 8:49:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I use the commanders palace recipe but I sub some chicken broth for some of the water. Max powers recipe is very similar except I don’t smash beans against side of the pot so much as press them. You are trying to make the thing slightly creamy by doing so. Tasso is a good ingredient if u can find it. I prefer manda brand andouille.  My family has always had yellow mustard as a garnish it’s awesome.

ETA: also I use at least one ham hock from the get go
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 10:59:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the ham hocks.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I do something similar but use the andouille, a Louisiana Cajun seasoning, and usually some homemade stock.  Serve with cast iron baked cornbread, that's good eating.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:41:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Three suggestions....

1. Try adding some tasso to the recipe.

2. Add a can of refried beans while you are cooking it. Makes it creamy.

3. When you are ready to serve, add juice from a jar of jalapeños and some water.
Serve as a soup with no rice. Tasty.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:45:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Your are on it with the jarred juice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top