Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 1/22/2021 12:13:13 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/22/2021 12:13:39 AM EST by gumbatron]
Local city council wants to get upgrade their audio recording for their city council meetings. As of now, they just position an iPhone in the middle of the room, and that handles the video and audio. As you can probably imagine, the audio quality is abhorrent. Nobody really noticed before, because the people that were interested just went to the meetings in person.

Now, because of the virus, your only option to watch/listen is via the Youtube channel.

My buddy is on council and wanted a recommendation of how to best accommodate that. They have a budget in the, I think, $500-1000 range.

The council members, 7 of them, sit in a 20x20' area. They now have plexi-glass separating them.

Is there a somewhat simple to set up method/hardware setup of recording audio for multiple speakers into one track that a city-government-quality IT personnel could manage?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:19:51 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/22/2021 2:20:42 AM EST by Jakezor]
Are they mic'd up individually already?

Several microphones, overhead perhaps,  into a mixer.  Mixer into whatever sound recording device you want.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:26:04 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jakezor:
Are they mic'd up individually already?

Several microphones, overhead perhaps,  into a mixer.  Mixer into whatever sound recording device you want.
View Quote

They have mics that are connected to a PA system that they use for when there are larger crowds.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:02:22 AM EST
Look at the PA, it might have a line out, recording out or something you can tap into without having to run them amplified.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:15:26 AM EST
Look at the PA, it might have a line out, recording out or something you can tap into without having to run them amplified.
View Quote

Probably the simplest and cheapest solution.  It sounds like echos and feedback aren't a problem when they use it now, so recording the feed at PA mixer should work.

Our company installs council chamber A/V systems, but a $1000 budget is out of the question for a truly professional setup - even for a small city.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:54:26 PM EST
View Quote

I'm as far as it gets from an audiophile, so pardon my ignorance, but how do you manage having multiple audio channels and various people speaking at the same time?

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:32:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By gumbatron:

I'm as far as it gets from an audiophile, so pardon my ignorance, but how do you manage having multiple audio channels and various people speaking at the same time?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gumbatron:

The PA will likely only have 1 or 2 channels output regardless of the inputs it has.  You should balance each mic's volume (each input should have a fader) then hopefully hook your recording device into some line level outputs.  Get the model # of the PA/mixer so we can look it up.

If you're changing anything, mark previous settings with masking tape and/or write them down.  Let someone else take the fall for fucking anything up.
Top Top