Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2022 4:30:10 PM EDT
This one seems to be gaining traction lately with people.

Everyone is complaining that their employer has reported "record profits" lately, and are calling them greedy because of it.

I think a lot of people don't understand how profit margin even works. Of course profits are increasing with cost of goods sold, but the margin is likely the same or close to it.

I tried to explain this to someone (using my own numbers and cost increases) and it fell on deaf ears. My insurance went through the roof this year, my materials are sky high, and fuel of course is ridiculous, of course cost of goods sold is going to increase and along with it the margin that I try to maintain.

More total profit, but it's of lower value than before so it will still only provide the same amount of growth as it has in previous years. People would shit if they saw how worker's comp and liability also increased every time you give raises.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#1]
costs are up 10%, lets charge 20% more and blame inflation. that goes straight to the bottom line and in many companies its quite transparent thats what happened.

where i work over raised prices "in anticipation" or things going up more
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
costs are up 10%, lets charge 20% more and blame inflation. that goes straight to the bottom line and in many companies its quite transparent thats what happened.

where i work over raised prices "in anticipation" or things going up more
View Quote

Have you seen the profit and loss sheet for the last few quarters to confirm that?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:35:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am making “record salary” right now.  

…and as a family, we spent $1,600 on gas last month.

Food costs twice as much.
View Quote

Exactly. I'll post record profits this year, I'll also post record cost of goods sold and associated costs too.

Margin won't move too much.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:37:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
People would shit if they saw how worker's comp and liability also increased every time you give raises.
View Quote

You have just described the reason why my business has zero employees.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#6]
My employer cut all the travel and so all the mileage money and per diem people got to keep.  All that money was saved, not a single penny back the employees in any fashion and it's known that is considered a benefit from the work an travel.  Salaries have remained flat.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Leftist at work: "The company is making record profits just like last quarter.  They're taking advantage of people at the pumps."

For ease of math, let's say a barrel of oil is $50, and we refine it upstream, and by the time it makes it to downstream the company pulls $55 total on that barrel.

Now, oil is $100 a barrel and downstream they pull $110.  That's still a 10% profit, but the guy just doesn't get it.  he says they're making twice as much.  Well, yeah, they are...but the margin on price per barrel is the same.

Here's the kicker, we work for big oil.  The guy hates the oil industry, but loves the check.  Typical leftist.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#8]
My previous employer managed to cut costs and increase profit through the whole covid mess. Part of that cost cutting was employee benefits, including pay adjustments and raises.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:44:11 PM EDT
[#9]
It's record revenues, not profits.

If I had previously sold things for 100$ that I had 40$ in costs wrapped into, my profit is 60$ yet my revenue is 100$.

The example they want to always use is that I now sold the same thing for 140$ because costs are out of control, and had 100$ of costs wrapped into it, my revenue is 40$ higher than before, but my profit has dropped and is now only 40$.

People are stupid and easily manipulated.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#10]
depends on the company but yeah some are making record high margins and for publicly traded companies it's easy to see.  

My own company was raking in the revenue and profits until supply chain caught up with them and can't ship anything.  

Of course they hosed the sales force because they're paid on revenue, but c suite bonus was based off of sales/bookings.  Guess what happens when you sell something but can't ship it.  The sales force doesn't get paid but CEO et al make 7 figure bonus checks......yet they can't figure out why everyone is quitting.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Leftist at work: "The company is making record profits just like last quarter.  They're taking advantage of people at the pumps."

For ease of math, let's say a barrel of oil is $50, and we refine it upstream, and by the time it makes it to downstream the company pulls $55 total on that barrel.

Now, oil is $100 a barrel and downstream they pull $110.  That's still a 10% profit, but the guy just doesn't get it.  he says they're making twice as much.  Well, yeah, they are...but the margin on price per barrel is the same.

Here's the kicker, we work for big oil.  The guy hates the oil industry, but loves the check.  Typical leftist.
View Quote

This is spot on, I am a retired big oil engineer....people just dont get it....I am from the refining and supply side of the business and we DID NOT MAKE a lot per gallon.....

You would not believe the number of young engineers we had that were leftist....yeah, they were getting $100K per year fresh out of school but all voted democrat....dont ask to try to make sense about it, I tried and concluded they were all stoooopid
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Holy crap. That gas bill
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:04:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am making "record salary" right now.  

and as a family, we spent $1,600 on gas last month.

View Quote
"That's different"
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Holy crap. That gas bill
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy crap. That gas bill

Just my work truck is over $300/week right now in gas.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:08:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Have you seen the profit and loss sheet for the last few quarters to confirm that?
View Quote

there sure are a lot of these "join date post count" types posting leftist talking points lately, aren't there?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:08:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This is spot on, I am a retired big oil engineer....people just dont get it....I am from the refining and supply side of the business and we DID NOT MAKE a lot per gallon.....

You would not believe the number of young engineers we had that were leftist....yeah, they were getting $100K per year fresh out of school but all voted democrat....dont ask to try to make sense about it, I tried and concluded they were all stoooopid
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#18]
In my experience, anyone bitching about corporate greed, record profits, or blaming inflation on raising prices has never once seen or interpreted a profitable P&L.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#19]
That's called good business no one gets into business to loose money.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Holy crap. That gas bill
View Quote

No shit. At 5 bucks a gallon that is 320 gallons of gas. If they got an average of 20mpg, that is 6,400 miles of driving per month, or 1,600 miles per week.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Exactly. I'll post record profits this year, I'll also post record cost of goods sold and associated costs too.

View Quote
It depends how you slice it. Top line gross vs bottom line net profit.

Net profit is profit. Bills are paid, that's what you get to keep.   Top line gross isn't really a useful metric without the other components.  CoGS, etc.

That's why you'll see market dorks talk EBITA.

Ignorant people shouldn't be reasoned with, they should be shamed.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Amazing how liberals can claim they control all the corporations when they want to get power through fear then turn around and do the same old all corporations are evil.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:25:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Holy shit. Do you all fly helicopters to work?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Net profit is profit. Bills are paid, that's what you get to keep.   Top line gross isn't really a useful metric without the other components.  CoGS, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point was that if you hold your margin steady, profit scales with everything else, but just because the number it higher, it doesn't mean it has any more value to the company.

I roll most of my profit back in, and the same amount of profit from two years ago won't provide the same growth this year, that number has to be higher.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This one seems to be gaining traction lately with people.

Everyone is complaining that their employer has reported "record profits" lately, and are calling them greedy because of it.

I think a lot of people don't understand how profit margin even works. Of course profits are increasing with cost of goods sold, but the margin is likely the same or close to it.

I tried to explain this to someone (using my own numbers and cost increases) and it fell on deaf ears. My insurance went through the roof this year, my materials are sky high, and fuel of course is ridiculous, of course cost of goods sold is going to increase and along with it the margin that I try to maintain.

More total profit, but it's of lower value than before so it will still only provide the same amount of growth as it has in previous years. [color=#ff0000]People would shit if they saw how worker's comp and liability also increased every time you give raises.
View Quote
[/color]

If that's the case, why has executive pay increased an average of 17% last year?

Perhaps you could explain to them how detrimental these increases are increasing their liability.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you buy everybody Tundras and F-250’s, for safety?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:34:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Bakers in Weimar Germany were making record profits too, with those wheelbarrow of money for a loaf of bread prices and all.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#29]
How many people have had their income keep pace with inflation over the last 20 years?

Mine has, but now the Government taxes me at the rich bastard rate, while my buying power remains stagnant.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:39:53 PM EDT
[#30]
So only the company is doing it's job
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How many people have had their income keep pace with inflation over the last 20 years?

Mine has, but now the Government taxes me at the rich bastard rate, while my buying power remains stagnant.
View Quote

Mine has kept pace for over 40 years because I'm the one who sets it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:51:32 PM EDT
[#33]
We were discussing this at work with employees its great to sell an item bought a year ago at the higher current prices but the hit in the pocket book comes replacing that item to sell again .
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 1:32:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Because a 4% margin is ok on $500,000,000 but not on $5,000,000,000
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 1:40:19 AM EDT
[#35]
People don’t think inflation be like it is, but it do.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 1:46:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
We were discussing this at work with employees its great to sell an item bought a year ago at the higher current prices but the hit in the pocket book comes replacing that item to sell again .
View Quote

The only way I know to escape this conundrum is to become BOTH a producer as well as a consumer, so you can enjoy operating on BOTH sides of the ledger.

This is the magic of PARITY...

...where your financial boat ALWAYS floats,
regardless of the depth of the water.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 2:02:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Due to yearly inflation, every single year should be "record profits", nominally, while real profit remain roughly the same. Ignoring boom and bust cycles, of course.
Yes, people are retarded.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 2:12:46 AM EDT
[#38]
I keep waiting for a politician to start treating big pharma like the oil companies and try to pass a "windfall profits" tax specifically for them you know, the ones who profited off of the taxpayers when everyone made the vax mandatory.

Remember when liberals hated big pharma, lol?
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I keep waiting for a politician to start treating big pharma like the oil companies and try to pass a "windfall profits" tax specifically for them you know, the ones who profited off of the taxpayers when everyone made the vax mandatory.

Remember when liberals hated big pharma, lol?
View Quote

I've never understood the feeling of satisfaction from wanting government to "tax them more".

Government taxation only makes it larger and more invasive. It doesn't benefit Americans.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top