Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2021 4:13:12 PM EDT
Looking for a new install and I’d like to get one bit which one?

I’ve looked at the pros and cons and it seems like it’ll be a great fit for us.  

We would like a 80 gallon unit, but do not know which one.  

I may not have a choice if they are not available, but if I did, which one should I buy?

Even if you have a brand recommendation, that’ll be helpful.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I lean towards Bradford White because I have a local Wholesaler who has rockstar customer support status if there’s any technical issues. This Northeast Wholesaler is the fifth largest customer to Bradford white water heater‘s nationwide.

Any brand really ought to be fine. You can make the tank last longer by flushing sediment out of the bottom of the tank periodically and also replacing the anode rod maybe about every two years.

Proper installation performed after reading the directions is probably more important than brand selection.

The last one I installed had an optional accessory kit with two air duct boot adapters to place over the air inlet and air out outlet of the heat pump portion of the water heater. This adapted me over to 8 inch round 30 gauge galvanized duct pipe.

Ran the supply and return away from the closet where the water heater was installed into the room where we were grabbing the warm ambient air from via a pair of 8” round by 10” square louver- grille adapters which pop through the finish side of the wall.

Piped the return suction point up near the ceiling in one corner of that room and installed the return on the diagonal opposite side of that wall down near the floor to promote good airflow.

Instructed homeowner to consider turning the unit from heat pump only to hybrid mode during the winter if that basement area got too cold or if the heater was having trouble keeping up with their hot water demand.

Local to me they defunded the point of sale rebate from heat pump water heaters greater than 50 gallon size.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:19:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  

The water heater will go into the garage and it’s over 800 square feet of open space.  

I’m in east Texas, so with spray foam on everything possible, my garage doesn’t get below 48 (even during the snow apocalypse) and doesn’t go above 88 in the hottest part of the summer.   The humidity is another matter.  

Good to know that installation is better than brand.  In my mind I’m thinking a good AC company will be better at making the water heater (the heat pump side).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top