Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2020 9:07:55 AM EDT
I'm looking to move to a different program than Strong Lifts because Strong Lifts is taking too much time and is leaving me feeling beat-up.

About me:  41 years old, never lifted weights, but kept myself fairly fit through running, biking, etc.  Got my son a weight lifting set for Christmas and turns out I use it more than him.    Started Strong Lifts just after New Years, when I was 5'7" and 172 lbs.  I've followed the program exactly (in the app) since then, only taking a few days off for sickness and recently because I feel beat up.  Currently at 180 lbs.  On Monday's workout I completed squats at 275 lb (5x5), Overhead press at 105 lb (4x5, failed on last set), deadlift at 275 lb (1x5).  Previous session was squats, bench at 160 lb (5x5), and rows at 180 lbs (5x5).  I've definitely gotten stronger and bigger.  Fat wise, I'm at size 33-34 waist size in pants, so I could stand to lose a bit in my gut.  Overall I am happy with my appearance and strength.

Goals:  #1 Lifetime fitness, a distant #2: maintain current physique, an even more distant #3: get arms bigger and gut smaller.  

Complaints about current Strong Lifts regime:  Workouts are taking longer than I like (75 to 90 minutes).  Feel sore/beat-up for several days, especially for squats.  Worry about injuries (none yet).  I hate rows and am constantly worried about back injuries.  

I'm looking for a program I can follow, as I don't have the knowledge to design my own.  My current gym setup is a full rack, olympic bar, and 300 lbs of plates.  

TLDR:  Middle-aged novice weight lifter needs fitness program for lifetime fitness that doesn't take more than 1 hour per session and allows for middle-aged body to recover before next session.  What ya got?

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Similar situation to you.  41 years old, similar strength numbers, tried starting strength, stalled pretty quick.  Switched to nSuns531 for a few months while bulking, which was successful (especially for my squats which went up by 40#+)  but really high volume, took 1:45-2 hours each workout.

I'm currently doing a short cut (6-8 weeks), then I'm planning on using one of the templates from Renaissance Periodization. They have a simple program thats supposed to take 1hour or less.  Might be worth looking at.   They also have a lot of free content (beginner to advanced) on YouTube.

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want something shorter try out Greyskull for awhile.

It breaks up deadlifting and squatting into different days, and you do 3x5 with an AMRAP on the last set.

You can get through a whole workout, with conditioning in under an hour pretty easy, there's a couple different variations, and you can add in whatever you like at the end of it.

I'm doing it like this currently, very time efficient and it doesn't kick my ass for work.

A Day: Weighted Chinup, Bench, Deadlift

B Day: Rows, OHP, Front Squat

I superset the first two.

If you want something with more volume 5/3/1 has a billion different templates, the 5x10 sets in BBB will get you sore.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 3:31:27 PM EDT
[#3]
https://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator

Enter your info and check out each program.  Find something that won't take to long and has good amount of arm work.

On recovery, without some type of deload or auto-regulation, you're going to have rough days/weeks.  Full body programs like SL with linear progression will burn you out eventually, even with the low frequency.  One layout I've always liked is breaking up more anterior and posterior movements, like pressing and squatting days followed by pulling days.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:18:06 PM EDT
[#4]
5/3/1 + conditioning.  Slower progression, lower volume for the strength, and there is room for either the Boring but Big program, CrossFit metcons/Oly lifting, or other types of conditioning/HIIT.   As you get older slow progression is the name of the game.

You can also run bodybuilding accessories with this program, if that suits you.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.  Started Greyskull this week and so far so good.  Body is a bit sore (in a good way), but I don't feel as beat up.  I also like the time improvement over strong lifts.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Tactical Barbell
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:28:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I did starting strength and it was 3 sets of 5 reps for the squat. Didnt do 5 x 5 until I moved onto other programs. I didnt need the 4th and 5th sets for linear progression and 3 x 5 left me feeling plenty spent.

You might consider doing 3 x 5 squats instead of a major program shift
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.  Started Greyskull this week and so far so good.  Body is a bit sore (in a good way), but I don't feel as beat up.  I also like the time improvement over strong lifts.
View Quote

A lot of it is repetitiveness of the lifting programs.  Keep changing every couple/few months and stay interested.

The balckironbeast link is a good one.

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I got 10 years on you and lemme tell you it doesn't get easier.   (getting old ain't for sissies)

Discovering 5-3-1 in my mid 40's was a  damn revelation.  

For the first time in a long time, I made progress.  (you don't think so, but a year later you're doing weights you hadn't even thought of earlier), I got way stronger.  (stronger than I ever was even in college a million years ago) and I wasn't killing myself.    If i was short on time that day (or honestly didn't feel great) i could just do the one basic exercise that day  (be in and out in 20-30 minutes).  If I had time, i'd run BBB.  (which BTW can be a brutal SOB esp on week 3, don't downplay it)

and then rest week.  You think ohhhhh i don't need rest week.  Rest week is glorious, you come in, do your 50% lifts and then futz around on other stuff and the next monday, you're strong and rejuvenated.  

I'm not 20 anymore and it really took 531 to show me that.  but I got stronger and in better shape than I ever was.   Being injured at old age (ok middle age) sets you back A LOT.  

And honestly, throwing up decent weights without really pushing it (because you're not really pushing your limits in 531, you're making steady progress and what was once hard is now easy) at old age looks good to all those young whipper snappers.  

buy the book, get an honest start point,  run the program for a few months and take the rest week and see if you don't make great progress and still feel good.

5-3-1 book
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#10]
5x5 anything is not for you. I love Wendler programs as suggested above. So simple and effective. I’m gonna go back to a BBB program when it’s time to add weight and weight to the bar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top