Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2022 2:49:06 PM EDT
My son was recently divorced. I occasionally cook at his house. The few knives he was left with are beyond dull.

I’ll try to sharpen some of them but want to get him a new set. His birthday is coming up.

Cost is not a big concern.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 4:42:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought this set for my SO and was really impressed with it.

Skallywag Knife Set
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 7:16:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks interesting. Will look into. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been using a 28 piece Wusthof set for years.

100% GTG, amazing quality.

Wusthof
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought this set for my SO and was really impressed with it.

Skallywag Knife Set
View Quote

No offense, these look like overpriced Chinese knives.  Just image search "67 layer damascus" and you'll find identical knives.

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:58:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've been using a 28 piece Wusthof set for years.

100% GTG, amazing quality.

Wusthof
View Quote

Yep forged classic series here.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into them.

I was surprised at the dullness of the knives he was left with. His ex is a sous chef and surely would be highly annoyed using those knives. But perhaps she took the good ones.

I have a mix of non-premium knives but I keep them sharp by sharpening every time before using them. But perhaps I should get a new set for myself when checking out the recommendations.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Dexter Russell and Victorinox are what pros use. They aren't fancy or expensive, and can handle abuse.

I love Japanese knives. Hard to recommend something because there's a myriad of different options. They generally aren't sold in sets.

Some sites I've ordered from or just go to to windowshop: SugiCutlery,Realsharpknife,Chefknivestogo,Carbonknifeco,Knifewear

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#9]
usa made

Lamson Knives
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:41:02 PM EDT
[#10]
If you know your son won't toss them into the dishwasher, and he'd appreciate a nicer set, nothing wrong with the wustof, henkles, or any other premium brand.

However, if you think they'll end up in the DW, get him some Mercer or Victorinox knives and call it good.

They'll all work very well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Shun
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 8:45:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Skip the set and buy the knives you use the most.  I have a Shun Classic chef's knife and a Victronox boning knife that cover 90% of what I need to do.  I take care of those two.  The paring knife and various other knives are disposable as far as I am concerned and I get them from Sam's Club or Costco for cheap.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#13]
We do this about once a year. Buy a 8-10 slot knife block.
Then buy a 3-4 knife set plus a steel sharpening rod.  Add and delete to suit your tastes.

I have used Henckels for 30 years. Plus a few Victorinox and a Russell.
Add and delete to suit your tastes. I personally do not like Cutco. Doesn't fit my hands good.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Shun
View Quote
Buy one of these, but also buy the Mercer and Victorinox profile that you will like and end up using the most.  I have two lengths of Mercer Chef knives, a Victorinox stiff boning knife, and a Mercer Nakiri knife.

Out of an extensive knife drawer, the Nakiri and the Vic boner get used the most.  I use the stainless steel Shun exclusively for vegetables.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Buy one of these, but also buy the Mercer and Victorinox profile that you will like and end up using the most.  I have two lengths of Mercer Chef knives, a Victorinox stiff boning knife, and a Mercer Nakiri knife.

Out of an extensive knife drawer, the Nakiri and the Vic boner get used the most.  I use the stainless steel Shun exclusively for vegetables.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shun

Of the Victorinox, which boning knife do you like? Amazon shows several
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QCNJ3C?tag=arfcom00-20

Link Posted: 6/3/2022 12:11:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1 I use a Shun or paring knife pretty much 100% of the time I'm doing veggie prep. I keep a wusty for beater stuff like putting holes in #10 cans or hacking through chicken bones or blocks of hard cheese. I have a Vic boning knife, granton and bread slicers and they are fine tools, I always recommend the fibrox stuff to people. Honesuki is nice too if you're cutting up a lot of chickens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top