User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:39:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pretty sure almost all tools communicate with the battery on the m18 line.  It's definitely not just limited to the fuel line.

Fuel is their top of the line tools- have "powerstate" motors, their top motor, have more features like more adjustable speeds, some you can get with one key, which tracks and allows some adjustment to the power settings (limit torque, etc), they will have electronic torque limiting clutches vs clutch type, generally more compact, more powerful, etc.

I buy fuel tools if it's offered.  The cost is generally not a lot more, say $120 vs $150 for the drill, and the fuel tools have always impressed me. The non fuel, ehh, not much different than a ryobi, dewalt, etc, from a performance angle.

Here's an example, brushless m18 hammer drill vs fuel hammer drill-

Brushless, $119
Fuel, non one key, $150

1200 in lbs vs 725 in lbs, both are about the same size and weight.  For 30 bucks more it's a no brained to me.
View Quote
Agreed, I think it's worth the extra, too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:00:09 AM EDT
[#2]
UPDATE

Well, I ordered some tools!  I just put an online order in from Home Depot for a Milwaukee kit.  

- M18 Fuel Hammer Drill/Driver (#2804-20)
- M18 Fuel Impact Driver (#2853-20)
- M18 Fuel Hackzall
- 2x 5.0Ah Red Lithium batteries
+ 1 free 5.0Ah battery

$399 before tax.  I'm guessing three 5 Ah batteries may be overkill initially, but I'm thinking about grabbing the framing nailer once I start the basement project, so it'll be nice to have extras down the road.  I figure these tools will last me for years, so I wanted to get something nice.  Can't wait to get the tools, the house, and start using them!  Thank you all for the help; so much to consider.  I would've driven myself crazy had I kept reading, so I decided to just do it.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:18:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Ya did good. No 3 batteries isn’t overkill at all. Now ya need a Milwaukee grinder. And accessories for all. Btw you can get socket adapters for that impact that works awesome for lagbolts. And for sure impact rated drive bits.  Umm. Get good ones because the cheap HF stuff will end up twisted like a pretzel or snap. BTDT.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ya did good. No 3 batteries isn't overkill at all. Now ya need a Milwaukee grinder. And accessories for all. Btw you can get socket adapters for that impact that works awesome for lagbolts. And for sure impact rated drive bits.  Umm. Get good ones because the cheap HF stuff will end up twisted like a pretzel or snap. BTDT.
View Quote
Good to know as I have a bit of HF stuff in my box, lol.  That kit came with a grinder originally, but I swapped it for the saw as I thought I'd get more use out of it initially.  That grinder would definitely have come in handy over the years!
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I recently bought all the same tools you did as well as a router and orbital sander. I also have the 12 volt kit. I am impressed with the fuel line and glad I went with them as my choice.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
UPDATE

Well, I ordered some tools!  I just put an online order in from Home Depot for a Milwaukee kit.  

- M18 Fuel Hackzall
+ 1 free 5.0Ah battery

$399 before tax.  I'm guessing three 5 Ah batteries may be overkill initially, but I'm thinking about grabbing the framing nailer once I start the basement project, so it'll be nice to have extras down the road.  I figure these tools will last me for years, so I wanted to get something nice.  Can't wait to get the tools, the house, and start using them!  Thank you all for the help; so much to consider.  I would've driven myself crazy had I kept reading, so I decided to just do it.  
View Quote

Good choices! The 5ah batteries can be cumbersome for the drill and impact, the new 3ah are a good fit for them, or the 2ah.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
UPDATE

- M18 Fuel Hackzall
+ 1 free 5.0Ah battery

View Quote

You’ll like them. Post a review when you get them. Welcome to the addiction.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, fellas! Yeah, I bet this stuff is like guns lol. Get hooked and buy all the things!

Good tip on the smaller batteries. I'll either pick one up, or try to snag my next tool with the smaller battery.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I would get this instead of just a smaller battery

I keep a 6ah battery in my heavy half inch drill. When I grab that one I need a hole RFN. Most the time though a compact lightweight 3/8" drill takes care of what I need and is a lot easier to deal with.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They're all made in China.
View Quote
Dewalt has a "Made in America with Global Materials".  At least some of it is made here :)

https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/products-made-in-the-usa
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would get this instead of just a smaller battery

I keep a 6ah battery in my heavy half inch drill. When I grab that one I need a hole RFN. Most the time though a compact lightweight 3/8" drill takes care of what I need and is a lot easier to deal with.
View Quote

So, it’s a dangerous game to get in, but when you compare that to the m12 fuel drill and impact, it’s like $50 more for the kit, and they are so much better. 1/2 chuck, smaller, lighter, stronger.

It’s just a little bit more, lol. I keep telling myself that
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:15:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
UPDATE

- M18 Fuel Hackzall
+ 1 free 5.0Ah battery

View Quote
Ha!  3x5ah batteries being too much. You have no idea what rabbit hole you have gone down.  I have 6 or 7 M18 tools and about 10 M18 batteries.  Also have 6 or 7 M12 tools and 12  or so M12 batteries.  Welcome to the addiction!  I have no use for all those batteries, but, I also have no use for multiple Glocks and AR's..

You chose well on the tools.  I used that impact driver to remove some lug nuts on my car, with an adapter, this weekend.  For future battery purchases look into the High Output 3, 6 and 8 ah deals.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ha!  3x5ah batteries being too much. You have no idea what rabbit hole you have gone down. I have 6 or 7 M18 tools and about 10 M18 batteries.  Also have 6 or 7 M12 tools and 12  or so M12 batteries.  Welcome to the addiction!  I have no use for all those batteries, but, I also have no use for multiple Glocks and AR's..

You chose well on the tools.  I used that impact driver to remove some lug nuts on my car, with an adapter, this weekend.  For future battery purchases look into the High Output 3, 6 and 8 ah deals.
View Quote
Lol damn.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I killed a 6 month old M18 Fuel hammer drill/driver at work.
The impact it came with is having issues sometimes with the battery connection even when it seems all the contacts are clean.

I'll let my work buy Milwaukee.
But for me it's Makita or Dewalt

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#15]
So, I've been able to use the drill and impact driver a few times (nothing major), but man, they just feel great! Wish I would have bought them years ago.

Today, however, I got to use the Hackzall for the first time. Actually, I've never used anything like that before. We lost the keys to our storage unit and had to cut two locks off. They were those round disc locks. The other day we used a guy's angle grinder on the first lock. Did a good job, but a little awkward. Today, for lock #2, I stopped by Ace Hardware and bought a Diablo blade rated for thick steel. Oh damn, now that was fun! Like a hot knife thru butter. I just want to cut all the things now, lol.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:59:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Lol. Buy a selection of blades for that thing!  Pretty cool when you compare it to using a manual hacksaw ??.  The cordless side grinder with some cutting wheels, grinding wheels and sanding disks is a nice addition to your kit as well. Their fuel model has a quick stop feature that stops the wheel in almost no time.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Get some Diablo pruning blades and it will handle a lot of stuff in your yard. I have the M12 and M18 versions, theyre awesome
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 6:17:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Cordless reciprocating saw is awesome for cleaning deer.
Zip the legs right off
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:22:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Good ideas, guys! I hadn't considered several of those.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I have way to many corded industrial grade tools to bother.

And plenty of #10 extension cords in 50 foot sections.
I do switch them all to twist lock connectors.
And an adapter lives on the end of every tool cord.
I have adapters that go both ways.

My fixed tools in my shop have cords made from purchased extension cords.
Cut off about a foot on the female cord end. Save that piece of an adapter.

Wire up tool.
A nice molded male plug on the end of a suitable cord.

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:31:26 AM EDT
[#21]
got a link for that particular deal?
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:49:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you are asking the poster above you then no.  Battery powered tools are where it is at now.

I threw together a riser for my computer monitor this afternoon. The only 120V tool I used was a miter saw.  

M18 Fuel drill, M18 impact, Kreg jig, Ryobi brad nailer.  Only wall powered tool was the miter saw.  Love these fuel tools.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:33:10 AM EDT
[#23]
nah asking about the ops package, i can only find that for like 550.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you are asking the poster above you then no.  Battery powered tools are where it is at now.

I threw together a riser for my computer monitor this afternoon. The only 120V tool I used was a miter saw.  

M18 Fuel drill, M18 impact, Kreg jig, Ryobi brad nailer.  Only wall powered tool was the miter saw.  Love these fuel tools.
View Quote

We have similar taste
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Almost 40 and just bought my first cordless drill today. I've managed to get by with an old corded drill and an extension cord for years, but have some projects coming up where a cordless drill will just be really convenient.

After some research, I went with Dewalt. It was basically a toss up between Dewalt, Milwaukee and Makita. They all seem to be pretty even, from what I've read. I already had a bunch of Dewalt bit kits, so maybe that steered me to the black and yellow.

I got a combo kit (DCD791P1) that comes with a DCB791 20V MAX XR Brushless 1/2" cordless Drill/Driver, 5ah battery, charger and bag. HD had it for $150 + tax, but I got it for $150 OTD, thanks to a $10 off coupon. I saw some old deals where you basically got the same kit, plus another free tool, but I didn't feel like waiting for it to come back around.

We'll see if I stick with Dewalt, or try something else. But battery commonality will probably win the day.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:34:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Deals come and go, just keep looking and shoot for about 30% off
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:22:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Almost 40 and just bought my first cordless drill today. I've managed to get by with an old corded drill and an extension cord for years, but have some projects coming up where a cordless drill will just be really convenient.

After some research, I went with Dewalt. It was basically a toss up between Dewalt, Milwaukee and Makita. They all seem to be pretty even, from what I've read. I already had a bunch of Dewalt bit kits, so maybe that steered me to the black and yellow.

I got a combo kit (DCD791P1) that comes with a DCB791 20V MAX XR Brushless 1/2" cordless Drill/Driver, 5ah battery, charger and bag. HD had it for $150 + tax, but I got it for $150 OTD, thanks to a $10 off coupon. I saw some old deals where you basically got the same kit, plus another free tool, but I didn't feel like waiting for it to come back around.

We'll see if I stick with Dewalt, or try something else. But battery commonality will probably win the day.
View Quote

I got that kit this past black Friday with a jigsaw as the free tool. The drill was an upgrade from my 7 year old brushed 20v dewalt. It's still running but has lost some of it's reliability. The new one blows it out of the water.

I think I'm up to about a dozen batteries and 13 dewalt 20v tools.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
nah asking about the ops package, i can only find that for like 550.
View Quote
Sorry man, was away from the PC for a few days.  Let me see if I can find it again.

ETA:  Shoot, looks like it's over.  That's what I'm seeing now as well.  You can get the hammer drill/driver and impact driver + free battery for $349, but it won't include the Hackzall.  FWIW, on one of those YouTube channels recommended earlier (Page 2??), the guy shops the Brinkman store (#577) as it seems like they have better deals and/or higher quantities on hand.  I compared that store to a few in my area and that Brinkman store did run better discounts than my nearby stores.  Like $349 vs $399 on things.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I got that kit this past black Friday with a jigsaw as the free tool. The drill was an upgrade from my 7 year old brushed 20v dewalt. It's still running but has lost some of it's reliability. The new one blows it out of the water.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got to use the drill a bit over the weekend and I'm loving it so far. Really impressive compared to the old corded brushed drill I'd used for years. Next up is probably an impact driver and some more batteries. And possibly the inflator.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I got to use the drill a bit over the weekend and I'm loving it so far. Really impressive compared to the old corded brushed drill I'd used for years. Next up is probably an impact driver and some more batteries. And possibly the inflator.
View Quote
Wait on any new purchases until the first or second week of April.  Spring Black Friday at HD, Lowe's and some on the online tool stores should start then. They usually do buy a battery starter set, get a free tool or buy a combo kit get 2 tools.  I think I got my M12 Rocket Light last spring with a $170 or $180 charger, bag and 2 4ah battery kit. Not sure what they'll have this year since last spring was covid time
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 8:02:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Wait on any new purchases until the first or second week of April.  Spring Black Friday at HD, Lowe's and some on the online tool stores should start then. They usually do buy a battery starter set, get a free tool or buy a combo kit get 2 tools.  I think I got my M12 Rocket Light last spring with a $170 or $180 charger, bag and 2 4ah battery kit. Not sure what they'll have this year since last spring was covid time
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out. I do have Slickdeals alerts for Home Depot, Lowes, and Dewalt, to get notified of any deals that may pop up.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:29:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out. I do have Slickdeals alerts for Home Depot, Lowes, and Dewalt, to get notified of any deals that may pop up.
View Quote
He can be annoying, but Tool Boss on Youtube usually has the HD and Lowes deals nailed ahead of others.  His "hacks" are also a good way to save cash if you don't mind gaming the system at HD (some see this as dishonest).  The hack is buying the kit with the free tool(s) then returning either the kit or tool.  The percentages on the discount drive down the cost of the item you decide to keep. I've not done this yet, but it seems as though it works in store only most of the time...
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
He can be annoying, but Tool Boss on Youtube usually has the HD and Lowes deals nailed ahead of others.  His "hacks" are also a good way to save cash if you don't mind gaming the system at HD (some see this as dishonest).  The hack is buying the kit with the free tool(s) then returning either the kit or tool.  The percentages on the discount drive down the cost of the item you decide to keep. I've not done this yet, but it seems as though it works in store only most of the time...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I've seen a lot of talk about people doing that in the Slickdeals comments section of tool deals.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 6:54:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

is this how people get massive cache's of new tools that they sell on FB marketplace? there is a guy that's local to me and has the complete line of dewalt/milwaukee/ryobi tools for sale with price list.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 7:16:13 AM EDT
[#35]
My $.02 - buy as many tools for the platform as you can.  Once they're discontinued, they'll be hard or impossible to find.  Batteries will likely continue to be available, but once the tools are gone, they're gone.

I kinda went hog-wild... Not shown is the wet/dry vac...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My $.02 - buy as many tools for the platform as you can.  Once they're discontinued, they'll be hard or impossible to find.  Batteries will likely continue to be available, but once the tools are gone, they're gone.

I kinda went hog-wild... Not shown is the wet/dry vac...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/145716/20210323_071454_jpg-1876562.JPG
View Quote

I'm still rocking the only three that I bought, but been using them and my DeWalt miter saw a lot lately.  Have two sets of overhead shelves in the garage up, and made a set of shelves for the basement storage room as well.  Been putting my 14yo son to work, too.  He's learning how to measure, cut, etc.  Been fun!  He even gets to watch dad kick himself for measuring from the wrong side and f'ing the whole thing up!  $$  That's what happens when you rush, I suppose lol.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 3:45:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

is this how people get massive cache's of new tools that they sell on FB marketplace? there is a guy that's local to me and has the complete line of dewalt/milwaukee/ryobi tools for sale with price list.
View Quote
For the brands HD sells, yep. Well that and shoplifting...
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, those are just stolen
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top