Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 12/3/2019 9:46:04 AM EDT
Looking to spend money for my sibling for Christmas. She’s almost done with her dive instructor cert (already a dive master). I want to buy her a quality dive knife.

Benchmade was what I was looking at. Does anyone have any suggestions?  Theirs is stainless steel, but I vaguely remember her mentioning titanium was preferred. Is that accurate?
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Spyderco's Salt knives are specific alloys for salt water.  We have a very small one, and it's great.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spyderco's Salt knives are specific alloys for salt water.  We have a very small one, and it's great.
View Quote
I just got a Dragonfly 2 Salt. I normally prefer a knife with more handle but I also wanted something that would be out of the way. I normally wear gloves when I'm diving so I'm not as worried about cutting my hand.
I normally have a DGX buttpack attached to my backplate or buttrails. The Dragonfly 2 fits perfectly in the outside pocket/sheath. I just need to get a lanyard. I used to have a Dive Rite line cutter in that pocket but the blades always rust so I ditched it.

I have a titanium fixed blade knife on the belt of my backplate rig, but it's a pain in the ass to draw and put back. I usually only use it to clean stuff off buoys.
Not a huge fan of the whole strapped to the calf thing.

I considered the Native 5 Salt since I EDC a Native 5 G10 which I absolutel love, but I thought it might be too big. I don't think it fit into the pocket on my buttpack. That being said, I may still buy one down the road to replace my fixed blade. I was a little disappointed they didn't make that one in H2 steel though. Not sure if it would be worth holding out to see if they do.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 11:14:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Someone say dive knives? THESE are dive knives...

Attachment Attached File

Been carrying 1 of these for the last 30 years or more. I've had some of the smaller ones, but always had a Sea Hawk (or the Japanese clone Navy Knife) on my inner calf.
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 1:52:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Someone say dive knives? THESE are dive knives...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/41734/knives_jpg-1182944.JPG
Been carrying 1 of these for the last 30 years or more. I've had some of the smaller ones, but always had a Sea Hawk (or the Japanese clone Navy Knife) on my inner calf.
View Quote
Have you been in many knife fights with sharks or evil enemy frogmen with those?
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 11:23:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Have you been in many knife fights with sharks or evil enemy frogmen with those?
View Quote
No, but I have done many epic battles with kelp entanglements in the California Pacific and 1 ghost net while stationed on Okinawa and have plucked many an unwilling scallop or abalone with them.

I have yet to lose.

I understand that reference by the way. "Mike Nelson" was my inspiration to learn SCUBA.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 12:33:12 AM EDT
[#6]
There are times when you need a big-ass knife.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 3:28:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There are times when you need a big-ass knife.
View Quote
Depending on what kind of diving you're doing, sure.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#8]
She going to be mostly fresh or salt water? For fresh, just get a good stainless knife. I know the tradition is to have a huge honking fixed-blade knife strapped to your ankle, but I always had a Spyderco Snap-It on one of the buckles of my BCD. Used it constantly for fish line and ropes. Held an edge like crazy.

For salt, the Spyderco Salt's mentioned above are great!  I lived in HI for a while and had a Pacific Salt clipped to me every time I was in the water. Never a single issue with corrosion, even when I'd forget to rinse it off. Edge-holding is great too.

Looks like now you can get the best of both worlds with the Snap-It Salt.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C26YL/975
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Trilobite Easycut
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 1:47:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Aqualung Big Squeeze Titanium.

I’m not a believer in expensive knives. Less inclined to stick my hand somewhere it doesn’t belong after dropping a $75 knife versus a $250 knife.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:26:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Aqualung Big Squeeze Titanium.

I’m not a believer in expensive knives. Less inclined to stick my hand somewhere it doesn’t belong after dropping a $75 knife versus a $250 knife.
View Quote

I have two of these one attached to my right bc pocket and one on my inflator hose. I hate leg strapped knives. Great for cutting lines of all sizes and finishing off a speared fish.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:27:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I just ordered one of these.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:45:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Trilobite Easycut
View Quote

^ This, or one of the other similar variants around $20.  

https://www.divegearexpress.com/tools/cutting-tools

It's convenient not having to worry about stabbing yourself as you try to put a knife away, and these cutter-devices work much better than a knife on most forms of webbing and line.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:50:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

^ This, or one of the other similar variants around $20.  

https://www.divegearexpress.com/tools/cutting-tools

It's convenient not having to worry about stabbing yourself as you try to put a knife away, and these cutter-devices work much better than a knife on most forms of webbing and line.
View Quote

@SlugMug

Oh, look, a 21’er.

Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:10:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I received my aqua lung titanium knife yesterday.  It’s the same as the older wenoka labeled models and fits the same sheaths.  It came plenty sharp.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Spyderco Pacific Salt.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top