Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2022 9:33:35 AM EDT
I've never used a legit workout program to follow before.  I usually get to lift 2-3 days a week because my schedule is very fluid (own my own construction company) so I've always tried to a do a full body routine when I get to the gym so I don't miss a whole group for the week if I only get in once or twice.  I'm very experienced with strength training so I don't need a beginner/starting strength program.  I really think I'm missing out on a lot of potential by not following something more regimented.  My diet is crap, I don't take enough protein through the day so I'm definitely going to work on this also.  I've also had several injuries along the way, right distal tendon tear in 2019, left distal tendon tear in 2020, and a partial pec tear in 2021 which I never got repaired or an MRI.  I've been on TRT since  Apr 21 and it's definitely helped, but I've also hit my bench PRs and been fairly strong before going on TRT.

Currently at 245 bodyweight, would like to be at 220.  I have an IG account with some of my lifts if that helps, wouldn't mind getting form critiques also.

My current week looks loosely like this:
Mon - Squats, flat bench, then bicep, shoulders, tricep, back, leg accessory work
Wed - Deadlift, inc. bench, then bicep, shoulders, tricep, back, leg accessory work with slightly different workouts from Monday
Fri - Good Mornings/RDL's, other chest workout, then bicep, shoulders, tricep, back, leg accessory work with slightly different workouts from Wednesday

Goals:
maintain current strength levels or get a bit stronger, wouldn't mind hitting a 1700 total for the year though...
Get more aesthetic (starting a low carb / IF diet soon as I know the 80/20 rule)

Current PR's:
Squat - 605
Deadlift - 635
Bench - 425

Looking forward to your recommendations, thank!

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#1]
5/3/1 will treat you well.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#2]
There are a lot of people that will give fitness advice that aren’t qualified to do so.

With that said as a 165 pound experienced lifter at 47 years old with a 1200 lbs total I have no business giving recommendations to a guy with a 1650+ pound total.  Strong dude.  

I actually have a question for you...  why do you feel like you need a low carb diet?  Honest question not a criticism.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:48:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Your squat is over 600 and you've never followed a "program?"

What the hell ya been doing?
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Those numbers are impressive as fuck, I’m certainly not going you try to give you advice. Are those all time PRs like from college football days or like current numbers? What’s your TRT regimen look like? Taking any growth hormone or anything else on top of that?
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 8:54:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I've always just been a hobby lifter. Never played any college sports, I just threw shot and disc one year in HS.  

I got my T checked last year in April, I was at 320ish.  I'm 36 yrs old.  The clinic I go to uses BioTe products which are a pellet form that supposedly has the highest bioavailability or some crap like that.  There's a small incision on your back lower hip, top of buttocks.  They put in the pellets and you are good to for 5-6 mos.  My 30 day labs after my first application I was at 950ish free T.  This program is supposed to eliminate the ups and downs of daily/weekly injections etc....  I know there are pros/cons to everything but I do like the fact that I go in 2 times per year and I'm set.  They include the DIM supplement that keeps your estrogen in check along with some thyroid stuff to boost my t3/4.  I just took another blood test (6mos from my last session) and my T is down to 440 and all my others levels are good.  5 mos. seems to be the ideal spot to get re applied.

I've never taken any other types of drugs/peds/ etc...  In fact I barely take enough protein and rarely take creatine.  I need to start tracking my macros.

Just started an Intermittent Fasting diet this week as it's the best fit for my crazy schedule, and I don't mind not eating during the day at all.  I'm at a 5 hour eating window 2-7pm.

I looked at the 5/3/1 program and it looks good. Just have a question.  Can I follow that program for the main 4 lifts, squat, bench, dead, OH press, and still do a bunch of other accessory stuff for biceps, triceps, shoulders, back etc... without screwing the program?  I looked it up and it only wants you to do 2 other exercises per that body part per workout.

I wouldn't mind doing that program to keep/increase my current levels on those lifts while being able to do the accessories to get more aesthetics as I just look more like a powerlifter right now and want to get more cut.  I know I'm asking for the best of both worlds but it would be nice.  lol.

Let me know if you guys need any additional info.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Your PRs are way up there. As already asked, how recent those are will help fill in the picture of where you truly are.

If recent PRs and your goal is to shred, then my advice would be to increase volume and adjust your diet. Get on a 3 day on, 1 day off routine. Shift from 90-95% RM (4-8 reps) to 80% and go 10-15 reps. Mix in some light cardio to keep the caloric demand up for both on and off days so that your off day is an “active” off day. You could even lift, but go light/high rep if you do (60% RM).  This is the recipe for the bodybuilding “cut” phase.

Dieting comes down to you and I won’t advise any further than reduce intake volume, but increase frequency of meals. The undeniable truth is that you need to keep lifting during this time to prevent mass loss while running a calorie deficit. Some will occur, but you need to minimize it and resistance training is the only way.

Look up some body part split routines on the net. Yours have a lot of overlapping muscle groups and I suspect some are bordering on being overtrained… especially if you’re lifting heavy. Push (chest, shoulders, tris) -Pull (back-bis) - Legs (all muscles) is a very common split that works for most and gives ample recovery between workouts.

My best shot at it, but there is no way around the basic equation:  calories in - calories out = ?  If positive you gain something (muscle or fat) that wholly depends on your training. If negative, you lose something in the same fashion. No diet routine or scheme trumps this reality.  

Link Posted: 3/25/2022 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#8]
All those prs are recent as in the last few months

My highest bench was 430 in March last year then I had the pec tear and had stayed light with high reps for a few months then upped to 225 for reps then 315 for reps as in 8-10 reps.

Then a few weeks ago I decided to try and see where I still was on bench and did 415 pretty easily.  So now I still do a working set at 315 for reps,  then go to 365 for about 6 then back down to 315.

Eta: stiff bars and conventional deadlift stance.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 3:21:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've always just been a hobby lifter. Never played any college sports, I just threw shot and disc one year in HS.  

I got my T checked last year in April, I was at 320ish.  I'm 36 yrs old.  The clinic I go to uses BioTe products which are a pellet form that supposedly has the highest bioavailability or some crap like that.  There's a small incision on your back lower hip, top of buttocks.  They put in the pellets and you are good to for 5-6 mos.  My 30 day labs after my first application I was at 950ish free T.  This program is supposed to eliminate the ups and downs of daily/weekly injections etc....  I know there are pros/cons to everything but I do like the fact that I go in 2 times per year and I'm set.  They include the DIM supplement that keeps your estrogen in check along with some thyroid stuff to boost my t3/4.  I just took another blood test (6mos from my last session) and my T is down to 440 and all my others levels are good.  5 mos. seems to be the ideal spot to get re applied.

I've never taken any other types of drugs/peds/ etc...  In fact I barely take enough protein and rarely take creatine.  I need to start tracking my macros.

Just started an Intermittent Fasting diet this week as it's the best fit for my crazy schedule, and I don't mind not eating during the day at all.  I'm at a 5 hour eating window 2-7pm.

I looked at the 5/3/1 program and it looks good. Just have a question.  Can I follow that program for the main 4 lifts, squat, bench, dead, OH press, and still do a bunch of other accessory stuff for biceps, triceps, shoulders, back etc... without screwing the program?  I looked it up and it only wants you to do 2 other exercises per that body part per workout.

I wouldn't mind doing that program to keep/increase my current levels on those lifts while being able to do the accessories to get more aesthetics as I just look more like a powerlifter right now and want to get more cut.  I know I'm asking for the best of both worlds but it would be nice.  lol.

Let me know if you guys need any additional info.
View Quote

Yes, you can add whatever accessory you like, and 5/3/1 has some suggested accessory programs too.

Link Posted: 3/27/2022 9:24:46 AM EDT
[#10]
With the additional information you provided, your size/strength, and desire to get aesthetic/cut a body builder diet/routine is what you seek.   It's not going to be a popular comment, but I'd move away from the power lifter routines and research what professional body builders do.  With as much muscle mass and strength as you have you will look really good like a classic physique professional body builder.   Your PR's on the big 3 may not improve or even decrease a hair, but you will look gooooddd...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top