Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2020 11:23:28 AM EDT
I need to buy a multimeter. It will be used mostly for checking continuity, resistance of capacitors, and values of potentiometers. I'm sure I'll find other uses for it but those are the three I initially have in mind.

also I'm seeing auto ranging and manual ranging when I look at them. What does that mean ? I'm not looking to spend a lot of money unless it's justified and will add a higher level of accuracy.

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:40:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Fluke makes a great variety on Meters.
All prices ranges and a quality product.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#2]
https://www.globaltestsupply.com/category/fluke-multimeters?gclid=CjwKCAjw2a32BRBXEiwAUcugiKiL0H9sIKUNQKztFhdwvvDu-XBPMqF3Wn9e-_WMxzIxGMilfhxJBBoC3toQAvD_BwE
Link to a reseller.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Fluke,,,
T1000 ,,worn on work belt.
Tool kit Fluke 87V Industrial

Also have Greenlee CM 1550

But always Fluke

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/products/electrical-testing/digital-multimeters
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Flukes are nice, but you're gonna pay for one.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the Fluke 324 Plus, and a Simpson 260-9SP. They cover everything I need in a multimeter.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#6]
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JQ4O2U/ref=cm_sw_r_taa_P-aZEb0X4Z1H9

I have this one and was quite impressed, considering the price. It even sqawks at you when you have the leads in the wrong holes!

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#7]
What sort of accuracy are you looking for?  How sensitive are the circuits you're working on?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I know Fluke is good stuff, but it's damn pricey too. If I used it to make a living I wouldn't hesitate at all but my interest is more as a hobby working on guitar electronics. I just need reliable and affordable if possible.

can someone explain auto ranging vs manual ?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know Fluke is good stuff, but it's damn pricey too. If I used it to make a living I wouldn't hesitate at all but my interest is more as a hobby working on guitar electronics. I just need reliable and affordable if possible.

can someone explain auto ranging vs manual ?
View Quote

Manual you have to manually set to the desired scientific prefix.  I.E. Kilo Ohms vs Mega Ohms

Auto, it takes a second to get to the correct range, but it does the selection for you.  Just buy this kind honestly.

For what you're wanting to do then you can probably get away with virtually anything so long as it can range correctly.  Amprobe is good (same parent company as Fluke IIRC).
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I found an amprobe 510 on amazon for about 50.00, and it's auto ranging. I'll give it a shot. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I found an amprobe 510 on amazon for about 50.00, and it's auto ranging. I'll give it a shot. Thanks
View Quote

For basic stuff it's all you need.  I rock an older Fluke 87 but it was like $400.  For what you're doing you'd be throwing away $350.  With that said I also have my first 1st DVOM(Bluepoint) from tech school in 2007 and use it all the time as well and it's never had an issue.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Have that same exact Amprobe and it's served me well. Always had Flukes for work but the Amprobe is 95% of the Fluke with a lot less pricetag for most people.

Also have a Klein CL800. The first one had been through hell and back with me and died one day about two years ago while I was doing some field work. Contacted Klein as it was well out of warranty about getting a repair, two days later, new meter on my doorstep. Next time I buy one Klein will probably be my first stop.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
I got the same one based on a recommendation here, it works great for my purposes.  

You may want to go ahead and change the battery in it.  I changed mine when I got it and used the 510 to check the OEM battery.  It was damn near dead....
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:40:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I got the same one based on a recommendation here, it works great for my purposes.  

You may want to go ahead and change the battery in it.  I changed mine when I got it and used the 510 to check the OEM battery.  It was damn near dead....
View Quote
This is one of those things that if you can swing the extra $$$ throw a lithium battery in it.  It's more likely you won't use the multi meter enough to kill an alkaline before it leaks.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:56:23 PM EDT
[#15]
You cant go wrong with Fluke or Klein but you will pay extra for the name. My personal meter in a Sperry  auto ranging meter. The auto range featuer just means you set it to AC or DC or what have you. It automatically picks the range so you cant accidentally set it to 12  and try testing a 48 volt golf cart. Kinda makes it idiot proof so to speak.

Here is the one I have. I love it  and it is very easy to use.  Sperry autorange multimeter
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:43:45 PM EDT
[#16]
If you're looking for a decent one that won't break the bank, Extech EX330 has been a good portable multimeter that spends a lot of time on my electronics bench.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I still have multiple el cheapo meters.
One in each tool box, and a few more sitting around.
Less than $20 each and work just fine.

Even the Harbor Freight ones are fine for routine use.

Auto-ranging is nice, but not really required.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Fluke hands down if money is no option
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:01:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Ther'es a whole bunch of lower-end Fluke meters that are perfectly fine for hobbyist/DIYer use.
Most of the assembly techs at work get 175/179's.  Under $300 new for a great unit that'll last a lifetime.
Repair techs and most engineers either get a benchtop DMM or 87-V.  
I have a 187 that's overkill for most jobs.  Ther'es odd jobs where I do need the resolution of that 50k-count meter.  Damn nice piece of hardware.
Couple of cheapo ones floating around for various small jobs.

Digital autorangers are kind of the go-to.  Pick what you want to measure and let the meter figure out the range.  An "analog" bar-graph is nice to have (I think every Fluke has this).
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#20]
here

This is what I have been using for HVAC work for the last 20 years
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm still using my old Fluke 73III that I bought back in 2000. I used to use it all the time doing industrial maintenance and automotive work. Yes the auto ranging is very nice especially when working on industrial equipment. You can test everything from 110V control circuits to the 240V or 480V power on machines without worrying about changing settings.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I use a Fluke 787 mostly.

Also sometimes a 743B and 753 but they are $$$$$
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 12:43:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I’ve got a fluke 77 that’s easily 35 years old and has been literally blasted with a 130psi stream of calcium chloride and water and survived. I had to open it up and flush out all the particals and chunks from the contacts when it happened but it’s still going strong.  Tough SOB’s.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 1:18:41 AM EDT
[#24]
I use fluke for work, but got caught without one a couple years ago. Picked up a Milwaukee to use in a pinch and it has turned out to be very good.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Most of the manufacturers have caught up with Fluke.

The chips are pretty standard.

Auto ranging is available for not a lot more money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top