Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2023 4:58:37 PM EDT
Hey guys! I need a monitor for an old HP ProDesk computer. I only have usb ports and vga that I don’t really wanna use. Tell me what I should get! Adapters, cables, monitor… lmk!
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#1]
USB isn't going to drive a display.

Find a used one from goodwill or something, or maybe a local resale shop. People give them away because there are often fees for disposal so ask around.

Modern new monitors will be overkill for your computer so get cheap if you buy new. There are adapters to go from DVI -> VGA and other types, get the monitor first then buy the adapter online.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome. Thank you. I’m thinking of going dual display to HDMI. Is that feasible? Or should I go from my wga port?
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 6:28:59 AM EDT
[#3]
What computer do you have? It would be easier to recommend something if we knew what you had to work with. Ie Actual model number and cpu, I just bought a HP Prodesk 600 G3 Mini.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awesome. Thank you. I'm thinking of going dual display to HDMI. Is that feasible? Or should I go from my wga port?
View Quote
Take a photo of the back where the ports are and post it and maybe we can help better.

HDMI is a valid video output format.  A computer with only VGA is not going to support it. VGA ports only output one monitor's worth of data so if you want two, I hope you like looking at the same thing on two monitors. :)

IF you do indeed have HDMI output then I am not sure if it will drive two monitors either, but I suspect not.

There are adapters that make VGA into HDMI output.  Take special note when you buy adapters as most come in two forms, with the "male" or "female" ends being very important. Look at the pictures or read the description carefully, the first one is always the output and the second one is the input.  VGA to HDMI would be useful for you, HDMI to VGA would not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top