Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 2/16/2021 5:56:36 PM EDT
I made an executive decision in our household and cut big tech and Amazon completely/as much as possible. Spending more time reading. All the small local book stores have closed. I have bought a few at the local Barnes and Noble recently. Is there an online book store that supports real people? A mom and pop shop? An Arf member possibly? Thanks
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 6:39:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Alibris allows you to buy used books from everywhere.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thriftbooks.com,  but dont buy from them on ebay thats where they sell the lower condition books.  Ebay is actually the cheaper place to get books.

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 10:50:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thriftbooks.com,  but dont buy from them on ebay thats where they sell the lower condition books.  Ebay is actually the cheaper place to get books.

View Quote

Agree. All of the books I've received from Thriftbooks via Ebay purchases have been absolutely trash, literally.

But sadly online mom and pop shops don't really exist anymore. And if they do, they're selling through the notable giants. There's a key though: finding them on Ebay and just sticking with them. I found a few shops (users) on Ebay that actually take pictures of the book which is important because sometimes the autofill ISBN databases will show one cover or indicate a different edition/publisher as to what the seller actually has. The good ones will even send a business card so you don't forget.

Target also sells books online believe it or not. And they don't mess around with shipping either. Every book I've received from them was packed in thick, individual cardboard. Top notch service right there.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 1:39:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Powell's but they're no mom 'n pop.   They're big now.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 1:50:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Abebooks is my go to. I’ve purchased books from the UK as well as from all over the US. Some fiction, mostly history

Alibris is my second choice.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:17:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Barnes & Noble

They also do CD's and DVD's.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:24:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Abebooks is my go to. I’ve purchased books from the UK as well as from all over the US. Some fiction, mostly history

Alibris is my second choice.
View Quote

2nd for AbeBooks. I've found some good ones on there. Also, you can usually find books for quite cheap/free shipping. Sometimes I'll look through their rare books section, sort by most expensive, and see what craziness they have.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Here in FL goodwill stores have pretty decent selection. Probably because of all of us boomers who still read a "real book ".
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Ordered from abebooks. Hopefully no issues. Thanks guys
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Goodwill and thrift stores, goodwill is better organized. If you want new, lots of indie books stores that have an online presence.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:21:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ordered from abebooks. Hopefully no issues. Thanks guys
View Quote

I recently ordered from Abebooks. Seller said the book was new". Looks like it was picked up a thrift store.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I've also been on the search for a conservative book store. But, now I'd just settle for a non-big tech bookstore.

FYI, abebooks is a subsidiary of Amazon.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/15/2021 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#13]
When I visit my brother in Texas we always stop in at Half Price Books. It’s a chain and had huge selections and good prices.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 10:50:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Klindt’s books in The Dalles

Oldest book store in Oregon, family owned, awesome place.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 6:26:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I made an executive decision in our household and cut big tech and Amazon completely/as much as possible. Spending more time reading. All the small local book stores have closed. I have bought a few at the local Barnes and Noble recently. Is there an online book store that supports real people? A mom and pop shop? An Arf member possibly? Thanks
View Quote

Look and see if there are any local friends of the library booksales around you. Anywhere with significant school/library presence have books they want to shed.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top