Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2020 11:33:19 PM EDT
I am starting amass enough cigars that I now need a humidor. I smoke anywhere from 6-12 per year and have around 18 or so on hand. Only 4 of my current stick pile is worth preserving but I am going to La Casa del Habano and Pfiefen Huber in Munich in the next 2 months. My shopping list includes exclusively Cuban's due to difficulty legally obtaining real examples in the U.S. / abroad. By nature they are pricey and I want to preserve them well.

My Shopping List:
Montecristo Especial No 2 X 2
Partagas Serie D No 4 X 2
Bolivar Royal Corona X 1
Punch 48 X 1
Cohiba $25.57 X 2
Cohiba Behike $50-70 X 2 (Likely won't have these)

This will bring my total stock up to 28. While I'd like to store all of them I really only care about storing 20 or so the right way.

Can you recommend any 20-40 cigar wooden humidors that I can play around with for a couple months prior to putting quality tobacco in?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Latest Stick: Davidoff Winston Churchill Late Hour
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 EDT
[#1]
No help on a humidor as I use a cooler to keep mine in.  I would imagine that most any production humidor sold by the cigar retailers online would be sufficient for your use.  Make sure you get quality products for humidity like broveda packs.  I do see one thing wrong with your list of CC you are planning on getting.  Not enough Partagas D4's on there.  They are one of my favorite cigars.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 2:18:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Diamond Crown is a humidor you will pass down to your grandkids.  
https://www.northwoodshumidors.com/diamond-crown/
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 10:06:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Plus a Boveda works.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 1:05:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I've had really good luck with this and boveda packs Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 5:12:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Best humidor I've used and probably the most consistently well rated, is the acrylic jar type with a Spanish cedar disk
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Sistema + spanish cedar tray + 69% Boveda packs.

Don’t waste your money on a Chinese wood box with Spanish cedar veneer. They don’t hold humidity and are a complete waste.

Build a “Tupperdor” with a Sistema from Amazon. You’ll be happy you did.

I keep anywhere between 40 and 60 in a Sistema 1870 with two trays and a couple 69% packs. The humidity is rock solid.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don’t waste your money on a Chinese wood box with Spanish cedar veneer. They don’t hold humidity and are a complete waste.
View Quote
I wish someone told me this when I first started out.  You give them a little too much credit though, as most of them are MDF and not even wood.  I wasted so much money on multiple humidors, different humidification systems, hygrometers, etc.  all for sub-par results.  Impermeable containers (tupperware, coolers, pelican cases) with Boveda packs are vastly superior.  I don't even bother with hygrometers anymore, just chuck a 65% packet in the container and check on it every few months.  Now all my "humidors" are used to store lighters, cutters, and other paraphernalia.  I do have one small Diamond Crown humidor that I keep a few sticks in as a display piece.  It's the one humidor I bought that actually functions as a humidor, all solid wood with beefy 3/4" walls and a perfectly fitting lid, but it's priced accordingly.  Stay away from anything with a glass lid, anything that comes in a combo deal with cigars, or anything that costs less than $400, or go for cheap functionality over style and get you some elegant tupperware.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 11:20:45 PM EDT
[#8]
$100 wine refrigerator and cedar trays and a good humidifcation system. You’ll always wish for more room. A 20-40 stick box is a waste unless you wa t it for your desk at work, because it’s not enough room for home.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 10:13:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I got a flip top acrylic for like $20 (?) off Amazon.

Or a waterproof box from camping section $7
Throw a couple bo-ve-da in there and they should be good for almost a year if you don’t live in a dry climate or open it often.

Something like these but sized appropriately
Amazon Product
  • DESIGN:high quality acrylic material,overall HD transparent Cigar Humidor,
  • CONSTRUCTION:retaining ring with top fixed,tightly sealed rubber gasket, top external hygrometer,easy to read,low cedar wood lining,rectangular humidifier (no need to install,directly in the cigar can)
  • SIZE:height 7.28 inches,diameter 5 inches,according to the size of the cigar,can load about 15-20 cigars

Amazon Product
  • Extreme weather IPX6 tested
  • Durable design
  • Large single latch closure for ease and security

Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:22:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I use a condition 1 pistol case.

And after my last cigar bid order, supplement with large ziploc bag. Bovedas in all.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 5:26:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sistema + spanish cedar tray + 69% Boveda packs.

Don't waste your money on a Chinese wood box with Spanish cedar veneer. They don't hold humidity and are a complete waste.

Build a "Tupperdor" with a Sistema from Amazon. You'll be happy you did.

I keep anywhere between 40 and 60 in a Sistema 1870 with two trays and a couple 69% packs. The humidity is rock solid.
View Quote
This. cept 65 for me. I had to sand the bottom of my top tray to get the New Zealand plastic wonder box to snap closed, though.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 9:26:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This. cept 65 for me. I had to sand the bottom of my top tray to get the New Zealand plastic wonder box to snap closed, though.
View Quote
I had to sand the bottom of one of the trays to get the lid to fit as well.  It was about 1/8" too tall.  Once I sanded it down I got a perfect seal.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 9:45:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Sistema Tupperware from Amazon.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 11:32:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I use plastic. It is cheap and works better than a wooden humidor.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 12:55:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Hopping on the Tupperware storage train, I have boveda packs, anything else needed? (Cedar etc)
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 7:14:32 PM EDT
[#16]
No.  I actually don't even use anything.  Fresh cigars seem to last 6 months or better by themselves.  Every couple weeks I'll open the Tupperware and air them out for a minute..

Eta I have hygrometers? And thermometers just to make sure.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 12:23:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hopping on the Tupperware storage train, I have boveda packs, anything else needed? (Cedar etc)
View Quote

Don't 'need' the spanish cedar in tupperware, but it does serve as a humidity moderator if you open them often, plus it smells nice.  But a boveda by itself works fine.

I use that rubbermaid brilliance stuff, cause it looks nice and it doesn't smell, like some similar products can.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 2:15:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Ordered sistema to replace my broken humidor- is it worth the time gutting it to get/make cedar spills ?
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ordered sistema to replace my broken humidor- is it worth the time gutting it to get/make cedar spills ?
View Quote

Not for me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 9:01:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Two quart glass canning jar with a bovoda pack works great and cheap.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I wish someone told me this when I first started out.  You give them a little too much credit though, as most of them are MDF and not even wood.  I wasted so much money on multiple humidors, different humidification systems, hygrometers, etc.  all for sub-par results.  Impermeable containers (tupperware, coolers, pelican cases) with Boveda packs are vastly superior.  I don't even bother with hygrometers anymore, just chuck a 65% packet in the container and check on it every few months.  Now all my "humidors" are used to store lighters, cutters, and other paraphernalia.  I do have one small Diamond Crown humidor that I keep a few sticks in as a display piece.  It's the one humidor I bought that actually functions as a humidor, all solid wood with beefy 3/4" walls and a perfectly fitting lid, but it's priced accordingly.  Stay away from anything with a glass lid, anything that comes in a combo deal with cigars, or anything that costs less than $400, or go for cheap functionality over style and get you some elegant tupperware.
View Quote

x2 I too wasted a ton of money on those $89 "specials" that cigar companies sell. Tupperware or an acrylic jar with a sealed lid along with a Boveda is your cheapest and best option IMO.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:00:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I got a flip top acrylic for like $20 (?) off Amazon.

Or a waterproof box from camping section $7
Throw a couple bo-ve-da in there and they should be good for almost a year if you don't live in a dry climate or open it often.

Something like these but sized appropriately
www.amazon.com/dp/B07H244RDZ
www.amazon.com/dp/B01M9B8R3C
View Quote

I have a real humidor but I use a couple of those as well. Handy to just stick a box of cigars in with a boveda pack and leave them for a while. Ones I have will hold 20 robusto with humidor pack.

The humidor I expenses on my epense accout when I furnished my office several years ago. Otherwise I wouldn't have one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top