Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2021 12:00:33 PM EDT
Lets say I have a target budget of about $600, with some flexibility.  What kind of setup would you recommend, and what should I look for or avoid?

So far, I have all of my other scuba-equipment, including a dive-computer.  Most of the diving I've done so far is relatively casual (average 60ft, 70F degrees), but it would be nice to have a regulator set capable of handling varying environments.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Scubapro
Have some 30plus years old
Just get serviced properly
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#2]
@Marie might know.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#3]
@SlugMug

I'd suggest Dive Rite. Breathe as well as my much more expensive Apeks.

Dive Rite

This package is $649. Free shipping. Will come assembled. I have DR regs and really like them.

@jerrwhy01 has taken these regs many hundred of feet back in caves
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 5:19:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:@SlugMug Dive Rite
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:@SlugMug Dive Rite

I'll put that on my maybe list.  I'm not familiar with that brand, is it fairly well supported brand in terms of long-term support, parts, etc?
Quoted:
Scubapro. Have some 30plus years old. Just get serviced properly

I see SP recommended a lot.  Is there anything I should look for in terms of features or models?

edit: I ended up going with a used Scubapro MK10 & G250.  I'll get them serviced when they arrive, but they seemed to have fantastic reviews and I've heard SP is great in terms of long-term support.

edit2: How strongly would people recommend for/against self-servicing regulators?  I'd say I'm mildly competent with tools, assembling/disassembling most things, and had little difficulty with learning how to assemble AT15s from scratch.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I got lucky on craigslist, and ended up with 2x ScubaPro G250, 1x ScubaPro G200, 1x apeks atx200, and 1x apeks at20.  So I now have more regulators than I need (although most are due for service).   I also ended up with a Shearwater Predator dive computer.

I think I've decided I'll use:

* The Apeks ATX200+AT20 set as my primary octo
* ScubaPro G250/G200 is a backup (I've seen other divers have regulator-issues at the surface)
* ScubaPro G250 on a pony-bottle.

I just need to decide whether to get a 19 CU or 30 CU pony bottle.  I'm leaning towards 19L, because it's only for emergencies.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually get a 40. It disappears underwater. Plus they have much better resale value. Tech divers always want them.

I assume you’ll be diving locally?

However if you have a regular jacket BC (yuck), you probably won’t have D rings in the proper places to sling a 40. So you’ll be stuck with a 19.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I got lucky on craigslist, and ended up with 2x ScubaPro G250, 1x ScubaPro G200, 1x apeks atx200, and 1x apeks at20.  So I now have more regulators than I need (although most are due for service).   I also ended up with a Shearwater Predator dive computer.

I think I've decided I'll use:

* The Apeks ATX200+AT20 set as my primary octo
* ScubaPro G250/G200 is a backup (I've seen other divers have regulator-issues at the surface)
* ScubaPro G250 on a pony-bottle.

I just need to decide whether to get a 19 CU or 30 CU pony bottle.  I'm leaning towards 19L, because it's only for emergencies.
View Quote

Honestly, I wouldn’t bother with a pony. Eventually, it will become a pain in the butt and you’ll end up leaving it at home. If you want a redundant air supply a set of baby doubles works great for open water. Baby doubles are essentially a pair of LP-50’s with a manifold. However, if you insist on a pony bottle then follow Marie’s recommendation for an AL40 as it probably has the greatest resale value.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top