Repeat.

That's the standard.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:37:52 AM EDT
[#2]
The calculator at this site isn’t bad.

https://strengthlevel.com
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I think a person do doesn’t at least exhaust their novice LP is kind of cheating themselves. That can be done without any major time commitment, and can be maintained with minimal effort.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 2:41:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 1200lb total and can't do 10 pullups

5'9" @ 236lbs
Squat 425lb
Bench 250lb
Dead 525lb
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

5'9" @ 236lbs
Squat 425lb
Bench 250lb
Dead 525lb
View Quote
Since you can deadlift a quarter of a ton, you can sit at the adult table.  Despite working on them for years, I always stunk at them too.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:56:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Since you can deadlift a quarter of a ton, you can sit at the adult table.  Despite working on them for years, I always stunk at them too.
View Quote
Good thing...i eat too much for the kids menu
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Using pounds on the bar is the only system.

150 lb soy boys doing 10 reps of anybody weight exercise is hardly comparable to someone who weighs 250 doing the same.

If you're 150 and you bench 200 you are still weak, but if you're 250 and you bench 333 (200/150 x 250) you're not weak.
View Quote
Thats not right
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Meh, by the strengthlevel.com metric most of my lists sit between beginner and intermediate.

But I can lift a shitton more than I could last year this time.  So I reckon that is all that matters.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 5:06:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

5'9" @ 236lbs
Squat 425lb
Bench 250lb
Dead 525lb
View Quote
I dont see how its possible you cant do 10 pullups. Do you have history of an injury?
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I dont see how its possible you cant do 10 pullups. Do you have history of an injury?
View Quote
Too fat mostly...sometimes get a little tendonitis-y in the right AC, but that doesn't stop Rows
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#11]
There is no "reasonable strength standard".

Strength becomes a fallacy, in belief and practice and chasing strength as a goal.

You need to be as strong as you need for what you want to do in your life.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Strength becomes a fallacy, in belief and practice and chasing strength as a goal.

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's a bit overly philosophical. It's a simple question, how strong should someone be to not be considered weak. Most of us don't "need" to be strong, but being weak sucks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That's a bit overly philosophical. It's a simple question, how strong should someone be to not be considered weak. Most of us don't "need" to be strong, but being weak sucks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And being a lot stronger than what the minimum is for your daily life makes life a lot less painful.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

And what if “what you want to do in your life” is to be as functional and capable as possible for as long as possible instead of weak and fragile? Establishing a solid foundation of strength when it is still possible to add lean muscle mass is the health savings account that keeps us from riding out our senior years in a Lark or falling off a curb and dying from complications from a broken hip.

Barbell Training is Big Medicine

Aging is characterized by a loss of strength, flexibility, and adaptive physiologic reserve; by senescence of growth and repair systems, blunting of hormonal responses, and atrophy of muscle, nerve, tendon, ligament and bone. This physical atrophy is accompanied by an even more deadly psychological decline. Too often, the aging individual sees that he is getting weaker, and so lowers his expectations and his efforts—and thereby grows weaker still. This is analogous to the cell cutting up its own DNA. Once the psyche has surrendered to decline and death, it’s all over but the suffering.
This is an increasingly prevalent phenotype of aging in America and other industrialized nations [27,28,29] : a living hell of progressive weakness, obesity, inactivity, shrinking horizons, sexual impotence, decreased expectations, mounting despair, a growing list of expensive drugs, learned helplessness, sickness, and pain. It’s being “All Done At Sixty”…or Fifty. It’s a life of waiting to die from a skin infection or a broken hip or a blot clot, of needing a stupid little fucking go-cart to get from here to there, of not being able to reach your own ass to wipe it, of narcotizing yourself with alcohol, cigarettes, American Idol and Doritos so you don’t have to face your own grim existence as a slowly rotting Jabba The Hut. I see it every day. We call it “old-itis.” A joke, I guess, but an obscene one. This gruesome avatar of aging offends the eye, the mind, and the spirit, and it cries out for both compassion and correction.
And before you ask: at present there is absolutely no solid evidence that strength training—or any other exercise or dietary program—will substantially prolong our life spans. But the preponderance of the scientific evidence, flawed as it is, strongly indicates that we can change the trajectory of decline. We can recover functional years that would otherwise have been lost. There is much talk in the aging studies community about “compression of morbidity,” a shortening of the dysfunctional phase of the death process. Instead of slowly getting weaker and sicker and circling the drain in a protracted, painful descent that can take hellish years or even decades, we can squeeze our dying into a tiny sliver of our life cycle. Instead of slowly dwindling into an atrophic puddle of sick fat, our death can be like a failed last rep at the end of a final set of heavy squats. We can remain strong and vital well into our last years, before succumbing rapidly to whatever kills us. Strong to the end.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 9:46:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
And what if “what you want to do in your life” is to be as functional and capable as possible for as long as possible instead of weak and fragile?
View Quote
Control your diet.

Lose body fat.

Resistance train on a sensible program with sensible goals taking into account your current fitness/strength level.

Conditioning/Cardio on a sensible program with sensible goals taking into account your current Conditioning/Cardio level.

Go to a dentist 2x a year for a cleaning and check up. Go to a family physician yearly minimum for a physical.

Hygiene along common guidelines.

Edited to add: Associate and socialize with good people who support and participate in your goals and way of life.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 9:58:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Control your diet.

Lose body fat.

Resistance train on a sensible program with sensible goals taking into account your current fitness/strength level.

Conditioning/Cardio on a sensible program with sensible goals taking into account your current Conditioning/Cardio level.

Go to a dentist 2x a year for a cleaning and check up. Go to a family physician yearly minimum for a physical.

Hygiene along common guidelines.

Edited to add: Associate and socialize with good people who support and participate in your goals and way of life.
View Quote
You're in a forum dedicated to fitness right now. 99% of the people in here don't think the bare minimum is good enough. Most of us don't think being strong enough to bring groceries in is enough. We want to be strong. The discussion is what is reasonable strength standards. If you don't *get* that discussion that's fine, but you need to understand who your audience is here.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You're in a forum dedicated to fitness right now. 99% of the people in here don't think the bare minimum is good enough. Most of us don't think being strong enough to bring groceries in is enough. We want to be strong. The discussion is what is reasonable strength standards. If you don't *get* that discussion that's fine, but you need to understand who your audience is here.
View Quote
I "get" the discussion.  What is a reasonable strength standard is extremely vague.

Being able to BP 1x BW, Sq 1.5x BW, and DL 2x BW probably puts a persons strength at greater then 75% of the population in this country.

People who are "athletic" can probably add .25 to .50 to the above.

Power lifters would be another .25 to .50 above.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:11:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Regardless of whether you're impressed or not, the guy pushing 315 is still clearly the stronger of the two and that's one reason calisthenics are not a true measure of absolute strength.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can they push their own weight? Push-ups, dips, pull-ups. I’ve seen a lot of fat guys ( “ big guys “ ) fold doing body weight stuff. Add in a little cardio and they are fuuuuuked!!

I’m more impressed with a 150 lb guy that can bench 250 than a fat ass 250 lb guy that brags about pushing 315 lbs.
Regardless of whether you're impressed or not, the guy pushing 315 is still clearly the stronger of the two and that's one reason calisthenics are not a true measure of absolute strength.
A 250 lb dude that isn’t fat and is in great shape should be pushing a lot more than 315.

I agree calisthenics are not a measure of strength.

Again do some can you do push-ups, pull ups, dips? Those are good measures of strength along with some core compound lifts.

Also a 250 lb dude that is in shape will be able to do body weight stuff. A fatasd most likely will not.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:12:41 AM EDT
[#20]
12oz curls.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:14:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yeah, I don't understand this "only absolute strength matters" argument. So the only people anyone should pay attention to in strength sports are Ray Williams or Brian Shaw?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, the question was not "who is the strongest?", but what is a reasonable strength standard.

Powerlifting, Olympic lifting, and Strongman competitions all use weight classes so it is certainly reasonable to set strength standards based on weight.
Yeah, I don't understand this "only absolute strength matters" argument. So the only people anyone should pay attention to in strength sports are Ray Williams or Brian Shaw?
I see them every day. That fat guy in the gym that brags about pushing 300, but can’t do a push-up, pull-up or jump vertical onto a 2 foot box. Yeah strong alright.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:28:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
5% is way high. I bet it is closer to one or two percent. Two groups can do 10 pullups. Highschool and college age kids that are sub 150 lbs, and people that are fucking jacked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may consider it reasonable for every adult male, but I'd bet that less than 105% of the adult male population can do 10 pull ups if you asked them to right now.
5% is way high. I bet it is closer to one or two percent. Two groups can do 10 pullups. Highschool and college age kids that are sub 150 lbs, and people that are fucking jacked.
Agreed. We did a competition last year and had to do 10 free hang pull ups wearing our IOTV with plates, after doing a 2 mile run with the IOTV. I don’t now if anybody did 10. I did 9 and then my partner had to help me get the last after he disassembled and reassembled the 240L. I had to help him do 5 or 6.

The team I was on won the competiton.

I think 5 free hang pull ups is a good goal for anybody.

Not swing ups (kips)!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:30:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

5'9" @ 236lbs
Squat 425lb
Bench 250lb
Dead 525lb
View Quote
Don’t feel bad, I don’t know many people who can do 10 real pull ups.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:39:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I "get" the discussion.  What is a reasonable strength standard is extremely vague.

Being able to BP 1x BW, Sq 1.5x BW, and DL 2x BW probably puts a persons strength at greater then 75% of the population in this country.

View Quote
That's the spirit.

You do get it... You just weren't acting like it
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:41:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that’s a reasonable standard. Then add in 5 free hang pull ups. 2 miles in 18 minutes, or 15 minute ruck pace with 35 pound pack.

I’ll be 36 in a few months and did a 5 mile recently in 36 minutes. I feel like I’m in the best shape of my life right now.

I’m also on a volunteer fire department. There are a lot of guys that probably outweigh me by 100 lbs and probably can press more than me but I can carry ladders, hoses, while wearing all the gear, and run circles around them.

Lift heavy, eat lots of carbs and protein, and be well rounded. Pressing 500 lbs don’t mean shit if you can’t carry 100 lbs 50 feet without getting broke off.

5’7 , 165 lbs and have been since 2003.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:51:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Agreed. We did a competition last year and had to do 10 free hang pull ups wearing our IOTV with plates, after doing a 2 mile run with the IOTV. I don’t now if anybody did 10. I did 9 and then my partner had to help me get the last after he disassembled and reassembled the 240L. I had to help him do 5 or 6.

Not swing ups (kips)!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may consider it reasonable for every adult male, but I'd bet that less than 105% of the adult male population can do 10 pull ups if you asked them to right now.

Not swing ups (kips)!!!
I just watched a video where a guy does 100 pull-ups a day for a month. He looked to be a 5'9 112 lbs soy boy. He went from 13 to 10% BF and gained one pound in the month.

I really hate doing pull-ups. I really suck at them. Be glad I wasn't on your team. I can't run and can't do pullups.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:28:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I just watched a video where a guy does 100 pull-ups a day for a month. He looked to be a 5'9 112 lbs soy boy. He went from 13 to 10% BF and gained one pound in the month.

I really hate doing pull-ups. I really suck at them. Be glad I wasn't on your team. I can't run and can't do pullups.
View Quote
I didn’t say pull ups alone are a good measure. Being well rounded is the key. The final stage was run two miles while carrying 5 gallon water cans and ammo cans. 110lb soy boy would probably have a hard time doing those. We also had a guy that was around 220 lbs and is a beast and while we all struggled with pull ups during he competition he can do them pretty good for a big boy!

We could only have 10 people on the team. People that couldn’t run or do pull-ups were not even considered.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top