Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/17/2021 6:45:31 PM EDT
With the incoming dip shit I'm really looking at guns that I've wanted just couldn't get at the time.

I've got a few things I can put towards one trade in wise but are the SP5s worth it?

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#1]
For the $4k+ prices they're going for right now?

Probably not.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Probably not.
View Quote
Until 4 years from now they are unobtanium and $8k
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
*remembers the sp89*
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Might be true...
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably not.
This.

If you really want one, buy it so you aren't kicking yourself in 4 years when the supply is closed off forever.

Also what the heck is the story behind your avatar, Op?  An AV-8 in a runoff ditch after the front fell off?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy a CMMG Banshee 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:50:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This.

If you really want one, buy it so you aren't kicking yourself in 4 years when the supply is closed off forever.

Also what the heck is the story behind your avatar, Op?  An AV-8 in a runoff ditch after the front fell off?
View Quote
Missed it by that much.....
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Why buy a sp5 when these can be had for less
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:53:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/267393/20210109_170144-1778827.jpg

View Quote
Some people need that H&K.

I'm a fan of B&T as well. Love me some GHM9.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Two more weeks and you can buy one marked Century Arms.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd like one of those...
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Depends what you mean by worth it? For the cost? As opposed to having something else?
If you want one I'd get it now cause you probably won't later on. Probably won't lose much if any value either.

If you're not attached to the name or if it's just a range toy to beat around, get a cheaper clone.

Roller lock with a suppressor? Absolutely worth it!
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I got one right when they came out.

It's cool in semi for a few mags until you realize its basically just an oversized pistol.

Then I put a binary in it and it was meh.

Then I got an SOT, had the isolation island machined out (they literally have something inside that prevents you from trying to convert it) and put the correct trigger pack, auto bolt, foregrip, stock and mag release on it and it literally has an absolutely insane rate of fire.

When we shoot it at night with nightvision, if you leave the IR illuminator on, it is literally a single straight line of projectiles. The ROF is so fast that even if you pull the trigger and get off of it right away, your shooting 1/3 a mag at a time. It will clear the entire mag in less than 2 seconds.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I own an SP89 so yes you should.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I got one but did not pay the stupid price for it. I was lucky. Do it, OP.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I want one too, but just because it’s an MP5, the ubiquitous cool gun of movie good guys and bad guys, the best SMG in every multiplayer shooter.  But for the price I could get 4 (pre-panic ratio) 9” barrel 300 blackout AR pistols.  Seems to me 30 rounds of 300 blackout is better than 30 rounds of 9mm and the guns are about the same size and weight.  So the SP5 lost the battle for my money.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:08:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I just picked up a PTR PCT mostly so every christmas I send people photos of me holding it with my "now i have a machine gun ho ho ho" sweatshirt.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I want one too, but just because it’s an MP5, the ubiquitous cool gun of movie good guys and bad guys, the best SMG in every multiplayer shooter.  But for the price I could get 4 (pre-panic ratio) 9” barrel 300 blackout AR pistols.  Seems to me 30 rounds of 300 blackout is better than 30 rounds of 9mm and the guns are about the same size and weight.  So the SP5 lost the battle for my money.
View Quote

But who wants 4 9" barrel 300 blackout AR pistols?  Maybe one, just to have one, and spend $1,000 on it.  But then what?

AR15s are great, and there are many awesome variants.  But busting out an MP5 at the range or around buddies is awesome.  Not in a braggadocios way, but it's a cool feeling letting someone experience something they otherwise wouldn't have.  I haven't been to the range in a while, but last time I took my SP5, even the range guys wanted to shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pfttt I sold mine after getting an SP5.  

It’s up to you if it’s worth it or not.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

But who wants 4 9" barrel 300 blackout AR pistols?  Maybe one, just to have one, and spend $1,000 on it.  But then what?

AR15s are great, and there are many awesome variants.  But busting out an MP5 at the range or around buddies is awesome.  Not in a braggadocios way, but it's a cool feeling letting someone experience something they otherwise wouldn't have.  I haven't been to the range in a while, but last time I took my SP5, even the range guys wanted to shoot it.
View Quote

Yeah nobody would buy four of the same gun.... definitely not me anyway ... that would be pretty ... umm ... repetitive.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah nobody would buy four of the same gun.... definitely not me anyway ... that would be pretty ... umm ... repetitive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm definitely not exempt from that.  Granted, these aren't all the same exact rifle.  But, if I was interested in a "grail gun" like an SP5, I'd be very tempted to go for the grail gun vs multiples of a more common/cheaper rifle.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Basically my options to liquidate are
Marlin 1895sbl (45-70)
Norinco 56s-1

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:20:13 PM EDT
[#24]
a
Quoted:
With the incoming dip shit I'm really looking at guns that I've wanted just couldn't get at the time.
I've got a few things I can put towards one trade in wise but are the SP5s worth it?
View Quote

The "MP5 itch" can really only be scratched with an "MP5" of some sort - go for it.  Pros on the SP5 are the HK name and pedigree, cons are the price and perhaps a little more reluctance to mark it up for an SBR.  Many of us remember failing to buy SP89s when they were available.  "MP5" clones are good - and many are happy with them, so if you just want an "MP5" then you might save a fair bit of money *AND* many of them have all the parts needed to run a registered sear pack vs the machining and parts swapping described above on the genuine HK model.  

If you can actually get hold of one right now, I'd snag it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#25]
They’re probably nice for $2995
I like my omega clone
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

GBPSE

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#27]
As an investment that will certainly increase in value...certainly. And you can have tons of fun with it while it's increasing it's value.

As a practical defensive tool...compared to other options...no.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I carried an mp5sd in the Army as a hair stylist. I'd love to get one just because it was one of my weapons I used.

That said...there are other opinions for less if you want great pistol carbine you just want a shooter. If you want an investment weapon to sell later then yes get an mp5.

But like others have said it's your money. If you want one get it. You can't go wrong at that price for an sp5 I think. It's an HK it will go up in value.

If I wanted one I'd buy it. But I already bought a mpx with 20 gen 1 mags when they were cheap
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It's cool in semi for a few mags until you realize its basically just an oversized pistol.

Then I got an SOT, had the isolation island machined out (they literally have something inside that prevents you from trying to convert it) and put the correct trigger pack, auto bolt, foregrip, stock and mag release on it and it literally has an absolutely insane rate of fire.

When we shoot it at night with nightvision, if you leave the IR illuminator on, it is literally a single straight line of projectiles. The ROF is so fast that even if you pull the trigger and get off of it right away, your shooting 1/3 a mag at a time. It will clear the entire mag in less than 2 seconds.
View Quote

What the hell are you talking about ????
"isolation island"
"something inside"
"The ROF is so fast that even if you pull the trigger and get off of it right away, your shooting 1/3 a mag at a time"

an MP5 runs about 750 rpms..... you can pull doubles/triples with them all day long .....
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

"isolation island"
"something inside"
"The ROF is so fast that even if you pull the trigger and get off of it right away, your shooting 1/3 a mag at a time"

an MP5 runs about 750 rpms..... you can pull doubles/triples with them all day long .....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"isolation island"
"something inside"

Yeah.... I hope he never tries to shoot a Glock 18 lol
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

"isolation island"
"something inside"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"isolation island"
"something inside"

I think he thinks the discussion is about the SP5K but even then I think his ROF comments are BS.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Just bought one on GB about an hour ago. Prices are going up over the past week even though the new allotments are dropping. Its the last item on my want list for modern firearms so I FO'd before they get out of my price range and/or stop importation in another month... No woulda, coulda, shoulda here.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Can someone help me find a green forearm? RTG is out of stock

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:39:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Can someone help me find a green forearm? RTG is out of stock

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/282730/sp5_jpg-1784031.JPG
View Quote

Looks like you need to order the rear sight as well.  They were hard to find for a while, not sure if they're back in stock yet.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

"isolation island"
"something inside"

View Quote

There's no rate limiter.

We just did video work on this over the weekend. Our Mk46 has a ROF around 750ish. This is significantly faster.

Isolation island is what the machinists who had to machine out the material that the semi auto version has in it that does not allow for a full auto carrier to run if put in with this material in place call it. I'm sure there are other terms for it, but the semi version has material inside the receiver that is there with the sole purpose of not allowing someone to just put a full auto bolt carrier in it and change out the trigger pack. Google around, there's a few people online who specifically offer this work due to this for the SP5K, which is what ours started out as.

eta - yeah, mine is a K, so slightly different than the SP5. I can see how the SP5 could be more fun than a semi K, especially without a stock, as it was honestly just a oversized pistol.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Looks like you need to order the rear sight as well.  They were hard to find for a while, not sure if they're back in stock yet.
View Quote

What's wrong with the rear sight?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The notch sight is for pistols.  Rifles get the aperture sight.  Most people who SBR swap them out.  

ETA: you just need the drum, not the whole assembly.  They're not too $$$
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#40]
I thought I overpaid back in April, getting impatient and spending in the 2700 range on both of mine.

But seeing what they are going for now I'm glad I did.

I think at or near MSRP they are certainly worth it, essentially a bargain since the shitty clones are often 2k or more.

At current prices worth it is up to you man.  I wouldn't be a buyer overc3k but thats just a pride thing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The notch sight is for pistols.  Rifles get the aperture sight.  Most people who SBR swap them out.  

View Quote

Is this what I need?

https://hkparts.net/product/rear-sight-drum-base-hk-mp5-hk-94-p73.htm

I'd like to get some regular safety selectors too, not the funky looking extended ones, but can't figure out which ones to order
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#42]
I SBR'd and dioptered both of mine

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

There's no rate limiter.

We just did video work on this over the weekend. Our Mk46 has a ROF around 750ish. This is significantly faster.

Isolation island is what the machinists who had to machine out the material that the semi auto version has in it that does not allow for a full auto carrier to run if put in with this material in place call it. I'm sure there are other terms for it, but the semi version has material inside the receiver that is there with the sole purpose of not allowing someone to just put a full auto bolt carrier in it and change out the trigger pack. Google around, there's a few people online who specifically offer this work due to this for the SP5K, which is what ours started out as.

eta - yeah, mine is a K, so slightly different than the SP5. I can see how the SP5 could be more fun than a semi K, especially without a stock, as it was honestly just a oversized pistol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"isolation island"
"something inside"

There's no rate limiter.

All that machining can be avoided simply by changing out the lower.
Or, you can get a PTR. Its easily converted, IF you can afford the trigger pack/ sear.

https://www.hkpro.com/threads/wts-full-transferable-hk-mg-sear-mp5-54-form-4-texas-37-5k.531156/
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Is this what I need?

I'd like to get some regular safety selectors too, not the funky looking extended ones, but can't figure out which ones to order
View Quote
You can get just the drum on GB for a bit less. Only place I've seen them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Is this what I need?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this what I need?

Both out of stock, but you just need the drum itself.  Could probably check RTG to see if they have one.

USA Part

German Part
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’ve been scouring the internet for a PDW for a month. Came to the realization only way I was getting one of those was paying $5k+ on gunbroker. They are of course much more rare than the SP5 and I found one yesterday at $2899 and pulled the trigger on it. They are out there if you keep looking. Actually put a member here on one about a week ago and from posting in the other SP5 thread he sent me a message where he saw the one I got yesterday.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:00:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

@Whiskey1Alpha

Can you elaborate on what SOT is (I’m new to HK, have an SP5 on the way) and what trigger pack and bolt you used. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

"isolation island"
"something inside"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"isolation island"
"something inside"

You didn't know that the SP5's had sear blocks?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

@Whiskey1Alpha

Can you elaborate on what SOT is (I’m new to HK, have an SP5 on the way) and what trigger pack and bolt you used. Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Whiskey1Alpha

SOT is Special Occupational Taxpayer.  It means he has an FFL and additional capabilities as a manufacturer or dealer for Title 2 stuff.

https://www.silencershop.com/blog/post/ffl-sot-class-3-form-3
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#50]
If I didn’t already  have two MKE clones I would have bought one. I can’t justify the cost now. My MKE are the full size and the K size. If the SP5 would have come out first, I would have bought one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top