Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 1/14/2021 7:31:44 PM EDT
Just finished Shadow Divers and Last Dive for the second time.  What's next for NE Wreck
interests?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Under Pressure

Deep Descent

Where Divers Dare

read The Last Dive again

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:52:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Under Pressure

Deep Descent

Where Divers Dare

read The Last Dive again

View Quote
Cool, Last U-Boat came today, can't wait
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want something educational, Deco for Divers by Mark Powell
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:12:01 PM EDT
[#4]
So I ordered Shadow Divers Exposed, is that going to be the tie breaker on Chatterton controversy in Last Dive vs. Shadow Divers?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:40:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So I ordered Shadow Divers Exposed, is that going to be the tie breaker on Chatterton controversy in Last Dive vs. Shadow Divers?
View Quote

LOTS of people think that Gentile's book was motivated out of jealousy.  I don't know if he was ever on the Seeker for any 869 dives.  I know that at the end of the day, we'll never know. We're going to get opinions from various people, and statements from various people that were there. I personally think that if Robert Kurson had lied or drastically misrepresented the events of the discovery of the 869, that Chatterton and Kohler would have told him to go fuck himself instead of working with him again on a second book a few years later.

I also can't see Chowdhury's version of the Rouse's deaths being accurate because I can't see an experienced combat medic knowing that Chris was dead, but begging the Coast guard Helo to take him with Chrissy anyway. Shadow divers says he begged the rescue swimmer to leave him behind and just go with Chrissy. And while the claim of Chatterton doing 90 minutes of CPR is likely BS, the phrase "you're a little slow on those compressions" is the exact phrase that an advanced rescuer would tell a first responder, I've done so myself, word for word, several times.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:09:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

LOTS of people think that Gentile's book was motivated out of jealousy.  I don't know if he was ever on the Seeker for any 869 dives.  I know that at the end of the day, we'll never know. We're going to get opinions from various people, and statements from various people that were there. I personally think that if Robert Kurson had lied or drastically misrepresented the events of the discovery of the 869, that Chatterton and Kohler would have told him to go fuck himself instead of working with him again on a second book a few years later.

I also can't see Chowdhury's version of the Rouse's deaths being accurate because I can't see an experienced combat medic knowing that Chris was dead, but begging the Coast guard Helo to take him with Chrissy anyway. Shadow divers says he begged the rescue swimmer to leave him behind and just go with Chrissy. And while the claim of Chatterton doing 90 minutes of CPR is likely BS, the phrase "you're a little slow on those compressions" is the exact phrase that an advanced rescuer would tell a first responder, I've done so myself, word for word, several times.
View Quote

As a medic, Last Dive rang false there.  Add to that, Coast Guard is gonna do what Coast Guard is gonna do, so it's more likely that Coast Guard ended up doing what they felt was right and taking the body, not being talked into doing something they didn't want to do.

EMS, samaritan CPR, views on liability, oxygen administration, etc. has changed quite a bit in the last 25-30 years though.  As late as 2005 I knew of patients coming in by boat where CPR had been in progress for hours.  USCG boat eta to the scene was 60 minutes, then 60 minutes back, no AED, that was always hard to respond to.  Alot of emphasis was placed on "as long as we have the strength to go on, we do it, let the doctor call it."  (Actually that made it into The Guardian, probably courtesy of one of their technical advisors.). BLS standards today probably call for it still, I've just never worked BLS very far from a hospital, so once I started I never stopped - as ALS we're encouraged to do field terminations now.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:54:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

As a medic, Last Dive rang false there.  Add to that, Coast Guard is gonna do what Coast Guard is gonna do, so it's more likely that Coast Guard ended up doing what they felt was right and taking the body, not being talked into doing something they didn't want to do.

EMS, samaritan CPR, views on liability, oxygen administration, etc. has changed quite a bit in the last 25-30 years though.  As late as 2005 I knew of patients coming in by boat where CPR had been in progress for hours.  USCG boat eta to the scene was 60 minutes, then 60 minutes back, no AED, that was always hard to respond to.  Alot of emphasis was placed on "as long as we have the strength to go on, we do it, let the doctor call it."  (Actually that made it into The Guardian, probably courtesy of one of their technical advisors.). BLS standards today probably call for it still, I've just never worked BLS very far from a hospital, so once I started I never stopped - as ALS we're encouraged to do field terminations now.

View Quote

Yeah, I was taught in the late 90s to go until I couldn't.  Now our protocols call for 30 minutes of full code after our arrival, not counting what FD has done, then we call med control for a time. IIRC, Chatterton is quoted as saying he'd been going for 90 minutes. I know he was younger then, and was in pretty good shape, but that's a LONG time for one person to go.  If it had said "we've been doing cpr for 90 minutes" I'd of course have no issues believing it. I don't see it necessarily as Chatterton lying. Lots of stuff gets lost in translation through all the interviews, editing, etc. I don't expect any book to be 100% accurate.

I think the reason I tend to lean towards the Last dive being the more accurate of the 3 is that Chowdhury and Gentile weren't there, and I'm unaware of anyone that was there contradicting it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:22:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I read Setting the Hook about diving the Doria. That was fun.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top