Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2018 10:31:17 PM EDT
Anyone have experience in this area? I have a 1/32 scalextric porsche 911 that I’m wondering if I can get more torque out of the corners by changing the gear ratios. Basically what I’m trying to accomplish is be able to spin tires out of the corner like I can in my slot.it car. I know I will loose some top end speed  but I’m good with that since I don’t really use the top end on a home track. I’m not sure what the current gears are I’ll take a look when I get a few minutes.

So anyone know what I can accomplish?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#1]
its totally possible

Try a ratio of 3.25:1
I think its an 8 tooth pinion and a 26 tooth inline crown gear, but im not certain.

check out slot.it
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:24:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks I was pretty sure I could do it but wasn’t positive. The Porsche 911 is a great car but I love to fish tail out of corners by going full throttle and the 911 just doesn’t make enough power to break loose.

I’ll count and figure out what my stock gear ratio is in the next few days when I get some time but do you know what way I need to go with which gear? I’m thinking a tooth bigger  with the pinion gear and a tooth or two smaller with the crown/axle gear? But I usually get it backwards. It’s a inline motor if it matters.

Oh and I’ve found Slot.it carsAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Got a minute to count the teeth on my Porsche tonight and the pinion is 9 teeth and the crown is a 27 so I’m currently setting at 3:1 gear ratio. I plan to stop by the hobby store and see what they have over the weekend. I’ll update as I go
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:57:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got a minute to count the teeth on my Porsche tonight and the pinion is 9 teeth and the crown is a 27 so I'm currently setting at 3:1 gear ratio. I plan to stop by the hobby store and see what they have over the weekend. I'll update as I go
View Quote
well you have more flexibility and wider range of ratios changing the crown gear.. the problem there is you run out of room the bigger it gets and have to start grinding plastic out of the way.  If you go down to and 8 pinion, you end up right around  3.4 to 1.. that sounds perfect and will allow you to slow down alot faster too.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 10:46:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
well you have more flexibility and wider range of ratios changing the crown gear.. the problem there is you run out of room the bigger it gets and have to start grinding plastic out of the way.  If you go down to and 8 pinion, you end up right around  3.4 to 1.. that sounds perfect and will allow you to slow down alot faster too.
View Quote
Thanks that’s what I’m thinking. This chassis already has a cut slot in it for the crown gear to fit. I figure I’ll start by changing the pinion and see where that gets me. I might also see what the motors they have hanging on the side of the cabinet are also.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#6]
You're gonna be pulling wheelies.  
Might think about adding weight also... down the road.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Many years ago I raced 1:24 at both the large commercial raceways and at home on my own
55'/lap home brew track.  Naturally I wanted to run the same cars on both long and short tracks.

The conventional wisdom was to use 4:1 or higher on small tracks,  and 3:1 or taller on long tracks.

First step was to remove the hot rewound motors and replace them, for home racing, with stock
motors.  And that was a big help.

In the end I left the gear ratios at 2.8:1 - 3:1, same as I raced on the long commercial raceways.  
The extra torque of having 4:1 gears was not a help, and in fact made the cars difficult to control.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top