Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/12/2020 10:06:46 AM EDT
Searched and didn’t see anything on this.

Rand Paul proposes bill to end no knock warrants.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/06/11/rand-paul-bill-end-no-knock-warrants-314303

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#1]
About time!
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:08:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
About time!
View Quote

Damn right.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:08:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Are the libs gonna say that it’s racist to oppose no knock warrants now?
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:08:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Rand Paul is awesome.  Usually.   Great idea.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Any time that you make an Absolute Rule, you will find problems with it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Good way past time for this.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:09:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Good!

Yeah, I know, some dopers might be able to flush their dope... Whatever.

Would rather lose some dope case then have any more innocent homeowners get into gunfights at 3am because cops had enough evidence to get a warrant but apparently not enough to know that the target moved out of that house 6 months ago.

Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:09:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Rand Paul is awesome.  Usually.   Great idea.
View Quote

I agree. My ideals align with his more often than not.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds good to me. As usual Senator Paul identifies a cause that both sides should be able to agree on.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#10]
this is bipartisanship
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:10:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd like to read the actual bill.

I wouldn't necessarily ban them altogether, but I have espoused that they be considered as "deadly force" (they meet most definitions of deadly force out there) and be treated and used as such... to be used only to protect from an imminent threat of death or bodily harm.  (i.e. hostage situations, active attack in progress, kidnapping, etc.).
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Good!

Would rather lose some dope case then have any more innocent homeowners get into gunfights at 3am because cops had enough evidence to get a warrant but apparently not enough to know that the target moved out of that house 6 months ago.

View Quote

Or that their suspect was already in custody.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Are the libs gonna say that it’s racist to oppose no knock warrants now?
View Quote

Probably.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Good good, very good...
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Add in ouija dogs and civil asset forfeiture and we're good.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
About time!
View Quote

FPNI.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Does this mean that if you refuse to open the door they will still come in anyway?
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

OR have cops shot because someone heard them crashing in and assumed it was a home invasion and started firing.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:15:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Does this mean that if you refuse to open the door they will still come in anyway?
View Quote

No. They'll set up a perimeter and starve you out.

It means they will identify themselves before they break in which is fair enough.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:16:12 AM EDT
[#20]
now get rid of civil forfeitures.

edit

and qualified immunity
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:16:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

OR have cops shot because someone heard them crashing in and assumed it was a home invasion and started firing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The risk of death or bodily injury to suspects, innocents, AND cops is too high for anything other than life-threatening emergencies.

Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#22]
A good first step in the right direction.

Body cams should be mandatory.

Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:24:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Promising.

There is actually a time and place for these unfortunately they were abused and killed and/or maimed innocent people.

I think there needs to a level of accountability in their use.

Whoever rubber stamps them and the raid strike package element mission commander or whatever stupid title they give themselves to wear all the stars should be held accountable if things go wrong.

Old school accountable.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Good
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Add in ouija dogs and civil asset forfeiture and we're good.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:24:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Dan Bongino will shit a kidney.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#27]

A little too far.  End no knock raids for anything other than serious violent felony suspects. Murder, kidnapping, terrorist attack, hostage situation, rape, arson.  Anything less, not worth it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:25:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Any time that you make an Absolute Rule, you will find problems with it.foot soldiers.
View Quote
What about:  absolutely no gun control for free citizens in the usa....

If you arent currently in jail or otherwise in custody, there is no gun control law, period.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Good deal
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The risk of death or bodily injury to suspects, innocents, AND cops is too high for anything other than life-threatening emergencies.

View Quote
This.  Making a drug bust doesn't rise to that level.  Not even close.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Wonder how many thin blue liners around here are crying inside right now?
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Good!

View Quote
Exactly. The risk isn't worth the reward.
The only other alternative would be a system with multiple levels of authentication to 100% verify the target,
but I lack faith that the .gov could come up with a law that does that.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Promising.

There is actually a time and place for these unfortunately they were abused and killed and/or maimed innocent people.

I think there needs to a level of accountability in their use.

Whoever rubber stamps them and the raid strike package element mission commander or whatever stupid title they give themselves to wear all the stars should be held accountable if things go wrong.

Old school accountable.
View Quote
Objectively, I agree with you.

Subjectively, from what I've seen.... if you let them do it at all, they'll find a way to justify why the warrant is needed "this time" because reasons..... no matter how onerous the bar is set to..... once they find the trigger words/ situations.....no- knocks will rise again.

Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:29:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Statists gonna be upset

Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:30:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Exactly. The risk isn't worth the reward.
The only other alternative would be a system with multiple levels of authentication to 100% verify the target,
but I lack faith that the .gov could come up with a law that does that.
View Quote
If they make mistakes now, they will make mistakes in the future.  If you read the rules on no knocks now, it's hard to see how a mistake could be made if the rules were actually followed rather than the report just saying they were.

It's the only way I can see a mistake happening right now, yet there are plenty of examples of those mistakes occurring...... just saying .....
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#36]
So how many "no knock" raids are actually no knock? Looks to me like quite a few are knock once, announce, and then boot the door all in a second or two.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Nothing like giving criminals time to destroy evidence.  Why not just do robocalls to criminals?
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:32:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So how many "no knock" raids are actually no knock? Looks to me like quite a few are knock once, announce, and then boot the door all in a second or two.
View Quote
That's knock and announce.  

If they had a real no knock, they just burst through the door and then start shouting/ shooting.

They look very similar.  In reality, 3am raids should be reduced.  Hit the house while they are out, snag the person when they come home.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
About time!
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Damn right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
About time!

Damn right.

Good with it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Good
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:33:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Dogs around the country support this

Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:34:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I assume like here the police would not need a warrant to enter they observe a active crime is taking place?

I.e. person being strangled  inside a house and the cops have to wait outside on the warrant?

For the rest of course no knock warrants would need to end when there no danger to human life.
View Quote
Exigent circumstances, yes.

Finding evidence of a crime isn't an exigent circumstance (no time pressure to save a life, etc) and require a warrant or an active pursuit or other reason that isn't just suspected presence of evidence.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:34:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'd like to read the actual bill.

I wouldn't necessarily ban them altogether, but I have espoused that they be considered as "deadly force" (they meet most definitions of deadly force out there) and be treated and used as such... to be used only to protect from an imminent threat of death or bodily harm.  (i.e. hostage situations, active attack in progress, kidnapping, etc.).
View Quote

None of those things require warrants typically. You are talking about exigent circumstances
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
About time!
View Quote

FPNI.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#47]
I’ve participated in many no-knock warrants. Thank god none ended poorly.

They need to stop.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#48]
This will save lives.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
now get rid of civil forfeitures.

edit

and qualified immunity
View Quote

And the 'ongoing investigation' meme.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:35:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If they had a real no knock, they just burst through the door and then start shouting/ shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my humble opinion the knock and nearly simultaneous entry is functionally a no knock.  You still aren't allowing the target to comprehend what is happening to them.  If police want people to react rationally they shouldn't force them into a fight or flight response.  If they force them into a fight or flight it's not the target's fault that they follow their biology.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top