Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2021 10:55:54 AM EDT
Post your router/shaper and construction/finished photos.  

Getting started with basic cuts:

I bought a higher HP variable speed Porter Cable Router just for this.  If I did it again I would just buy a shaper. This is a crummy old Craftsman tiny router table.  

Milling cuts:

Glue work for center inserts, I use biscuits:

Link Posted: 8/3/2021 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Gluing up the doors:

Room is going to need some mirror frames:  

Her you can see how efficient my anti-static vacuum system is:  

I reused my cabinet boxes and made a new face frame.  This is before I learned about the Kreg fastening system, these are actually doweled:

Link Posted: 8/3/2021 11:03:52 AM EDT
[#2]
My shack didn't have 'adult height' cabinets, so I make drawer boxes to go under the cabinet boxes to raise them up and store towels:

Plywood top to install backer and tile, face frame installed:

Mad tile skills.  We were doing floor and shower walls too. The house was just repiped with copper, so the walls were a mess at the time:

Break time:  

Link Posted: 8/3/2021 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Clean work. Running those big cutters for the center panel was always oogly, no matter how many safeguards you have in place.
It all looks good, but I despise working with oak. Did that for years at a commercial facility, hate how it likes to explode rather than cut sometimes. Plus oak splinters are no fun.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 11:26:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Mirror frames done and sinks set, walls textured, sealed, and painted:  

Still looking for a completed photo, but here is an in progress of the other bathroom with product positioning. Travertine floor isn't installed yet.  I will keep looking or just take another pic later.

Link Posted: 8/3/2021 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Clean work. Running those big cutters for the center panel was always oogly, no matter how many safeguards you have in place.
It all looks good, but I despise working with oak. Did that for years at a commercial facility, hate how it likes to explode rather than cut sometimes. Plus oak splinters are no fun.
View Quote

I hear you! I used to be into oak, but then a neighbor gave me a walnut tree that I had turned into boards for $75. That stuff works so damned nice!
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Smooth feed is best with oak.  I eventually made a melamine router insert for my table saw and I use feather boards on tops and edges so I can eliminate kickback.  Smooth melamine surfaces allow the wood to move into the cutter smoothly.  The age of the oak is also critical.  I can see how CNC control cut and feed would make this much safer.

I did a kitchen before and farmed out the doors.  My current kitchen has even more doors and I will farm those out.  I am amazed at a pro shop being able to turn out 20 doors in a day turn around.  I haven't priced it lately, but I couldn't have bought the wood at retail for what the shop charged me for completed doors.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I will try to get a shot of mine.  I used t-nuts and extrusions and the plate insert.  It is priceless being able to pull the entire router out of the table top for cleaning and setup.  My Porter Cable is setup for above table adjustments, but you still need to get to the nut for the bit shaft.

Nice table, I assume you built it?
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will try to get a shot of mine.  I used t-nuts and extrusions and the plate insert.  It is priceless being able to pull the entire router out of the table top for cleaning and setup.  My Porter Cable is setup for above table adjustments, but you still need to get to the nut for the bit shaft.

Nice table, I assume you built it?
View Quote

Thanks
Was the first thing I built after I got my table saw in 2002.  It's all MDF with rabbets and dadoes and poly glue.
It's survived several moves.
I replaced the top, built a new fence and installed the Incra/Woodpecker lift and the 3HP PC motor about 3 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Here are some birch? or maybe ash? doors I was making for my laundry room remodel.  Funny that my memory has me making them out of MDF, but this shows that unpossible.

(that was two couches ago)
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 5:15:45 PM EDT
[#11]
A shaper runs a lot smoother with the big cutters.

Should have picked up a tilting one before they died off.
I can make sloped table pieces for smaller angles though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top