Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/16/2019 8:22:52 PM EDT
This Lil guy is hanging out in my yard. No momma in sight.
Attachment Attached File

He's a baby, about the size of a kitten.
I made a buffet for him so he stays away from the road. Got some Jack Daniel's pulled pork, a couple French fries, milk, dog food, and I sliced up some apples.

He's following me around in the yard still.
He can smell the food but he's not going near it. He's just following me.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:24:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The males are ok till about 1 year old. Then they get pissy.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't solely due to rabies, but I also hate raccoons with a passion.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#3]
How much shipped to Washington .
Always thought a Pet Coon or Skunk would be cool
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#4]
The 2 times I've heard of it being tried ended badly when the coon matures, might have some luck with a female but they can get into absolutely anything with their monkey paws.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Baby raccoons sure are cute.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#6]
If you’re absolutely sure there is no mama around, I’d recommend finding a wildlife rehab sanctuary
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:29:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
THIS. My father had one as a kid in Oklahoma but then it grew up and started hissing at the milk lady from under the front porch so my Grandpa took it out to the woods.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:31:10 PM EDT
[#8]
When I was about 8 my dad found a mother coon that was hit and killed. She had 4 babies. He took two and his buddy took two.

We kept them as pets until they were about 40lbs each. Giant raccoons.  Lots of fun.

We eventually gave them to the local fish and game girl. Received Christmas cards from the raccoons for several years after. They lived a good life.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Baby raccoons sure are cute.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Probably illegal if that matters to you.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:32:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I've known a number of people with pet raccoons. The critters are pretty smart and the people I knew with them had no problems.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#12]
NO, HELL NO!!!!!  Knew  one guy that almost lost is finger to his 2 year old raised from a baby raccoon.  Been told of another similar incident from a coworker.  Full grown they are more vicious than people give them credit for, some funny youtube videos of people getting bit also.

Snowman357
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you’re absolutely sure there is no mama around, I’d recommend finding a wildlife rehab sanctuary
View Quote
Fuck that, there's gators and boa constrictors and pythons in there. Assholes buy snakes for pets, get tired or bored of them and dump them there.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:35:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
We had one.  Sometime between 1 and 2 years old it started being aggressive/grumpy.  He could come and go as he pleased.  Eventually he stopped coming back but we would see him hanging around outside.  He just grew out of his friendly with people phase.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
NO, HELL NO!!!!!  Knew  one guy that almost lost is finger to his 2 year old raised from a baby raccoon.  Been told of another similar incident from a coworker.  Full grown they are more vicious than people give them credit for, some funny youtube videos of people getting bit also.

Snowman357
View Quote
Well. If that happens. He becomes a hat.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I was trying to half ass tame one last year but it was too old when I got to it.  IME bottle feeding age is ideal for getting an animal to bond.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I wouldn't solely due to rabies, but I also hate raccoons with a passion.
View Quote
Also there is a very dangerous disease often present in their scat.  Bayliscacaris procyonis aka “raccoon roundworm”.  Can cause blindness, brain damage, etc.  No known cure, very difficult to even diagnose.
Even 20% bleach isn’t enough to kill the eggs.

https://www.businessinsider.com/what-is-raccoon-roundworm-baylisascariasis-baylisascaris-procyonis-2016-9
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I wonder if they'd be friendlier if you cut their balls off.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:40:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#21]
https://getraccoonsout.com/are-raccoons-dangerous-11-questions-to-get-the-facts-about-raccoons/

read #11

https://getraccoonsout.com/are-raccoons-dangerous-11-questions-to-get-the-facts-about-raccoons/

Snowman357
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Get em before their eyes are open.

I had had one as a kid. He was a mean fuck. He wouldn't come after you, but he really didn't like to be messed with.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
This has been my experience with several of them.

I met a girl in FL who had three "swamp coons", which she claimed were different.  They were a few years old, but gentle as kittens.

I don't know if this is a real thing or not, but it was also written about in "Where the Red Fern Grows".  I believe the grandfather called them "sweet coons" in the book.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:43:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Mine is okay.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I’m sure that article isn’t biased against raccoons, I mean it’s only called getraccoonsout. That’s like trying to show gun information from moms demand action
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#28]
That’s a possum.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:45:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Get em before their eyes are open.

I had had one as a kid. He was a mean fuck. He wouldn't come after you, but he really didn't like to be messed with.
View Quote
I've heard that's a big deal with any wild mammal.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#30]
My great aunt had a pet raccoon. I was really little but I remember taking it to the beach, we would catch the little shore crabs and put them in a bucket. The raccoon would take them out and wash them off, they would clamp onto it’s fur and it would shake them off. The only other thing I remember was she had latches on her cupboards to keep it out.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:47:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I know a guy w/ three of them. They were living in one of his garages w/ their mom. She was killed by a car. The three kids never left... They are like cats that live in the rafters
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Bad idea. They're really fun for a year, maybe two. Then they go buck fucking wild. There's a 100% chance that you'll end up getting rid of it after blood being drawn. Trust me.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

We had one.  Sometime between 1 and 2 years old it started being aggressive/grumpy.  He could come and go as he pleased.  Eventually he stopped coming back but we would see him hanging around outside.  He just grew out of his friendly with people phase.
View Quote
This.  I've seen this happen before.  Friends raised one and it did the same thing.  It sure was cute and crazy smart though.

I've heard that bad things happen if you try to keep them cooped up in a house.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Watch this before you get a pet raccoon
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:50:24 PM EDT
[#35]
I've been around one that was fairly tame and friendly but still wouldn't recommend it. They are a huge pain in the ass if inside.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#36]
In heat or other hormonal maturing stage they will be nasty and fuck you and your house up.

They are cute to look at.  That's where it ends.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#37]
No one has read Rascal?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:51:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Excellent.. you will love each other forever
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Yes, they make awesome pets until the day they decide to run through the kitchen cabinets (no doubt showing off their awesome climbing skills to the companion pet skunk on the floor witnessing the stunt), knocking out some of the dishes and glasses, only to eat some cereal, dumping the rest into the sink where in an effort to flush the evidence, gummed up the drain and flooded out the entire kitchen.

Yeah......other than that....pure awesomeness.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That's a possum.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
its a python
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:52:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The 2 times I've heard of it being tried ended badly when the coon matures, might have some luck with a female but they can get into absolutely anything with their monkey paws.
View Quote
Site resources?!
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I was trying to half ass tame one last year but it was too old when I got to it.  IME bottle feeding age is ideal for getting an animal to bond.
View Quote
I've raised flying squirrels, goats, whitetail deer, fox squirrels, raccoons, and a plethora of other wild animals.

Every coon I've raised was a newborn when I got it. Every one of them went ape-shit after puberty.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#43]
too many diseases
they are wild animals
one day they are tame and the next they can be vicious and demanding
get a dog or a cat
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#44]
We had a raccoon for a pet when we were kids. Great pet. Wouldn’t let other raccoons raid our sweet corn in the garden.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Rescuing Baby Raccoons - How to feed and raise coon babies
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#46]
They’re quite entertaining while young.  You’ll learn to leave the toilet cover seat down. Then to put some weight on it.  Then to lock the coon out of the bathroom.  As mentioned earlier, let it come and go and it’ll eventually leave when appropriate.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
No one has read Rascal?
View Quote
Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?Dad, can we please get a raccoon?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:00:24 PM EDT
[#48]
I had one a slightly older male. It took him about a week to settle down. They're very messy. But the males are good til they hit sexual maturity then their need to breed makes the sketchy as fuck. Females are good to go. It's not easy to tell you just have to find the wet spot when they pee. Males itll be mid belly.

The raccoon I had was super cool and it absolutely broke my heart to have to let him go but being that he was male it was what was best for both of us. If I had a shot at a young female I'd absolutely keep it. Especially as young as you have. Just keep it in quranteen for a while. But the odds of it being rabid or sick really aren't that good. He's too young to have gotten exposed to much. Use nice thick gloves and protect your airway/eyes from exposure to saliva.

I wish I could find a female that young they're incredibly neat critters. Incredibly strong for their size. Pound for pound probably the most vicious animal on earth when mad. But when happy incredibly neat. Their hands are capable of working some complex locks so make sure you use something to keep the crate held shut that its little hands cant work. I fed mine cat and dog food.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:01:49 PM EDT
[#49]
My uncle had one until the coon started the stove and almost burned the house down. Anything you can open they can too after watching you do it once.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#50]
The most ferocious animal on animal fight I saw were 2 raccoons. I would not want to tangle with one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top