Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2021 12:57:28 AM EDT
Are trains so long now that they are frequently losing comms with their DP's? Lately I have heard quite a bit of radio chatter about the DP not doing this or that. Symptom of PSR?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:01:44 AM EDT
[#1]
For the non railroaders....

DP = Distributive power, the locomotive(s) in the middle or rear of a train.

PSR = Precision scheduled railroading. A retarded scheme by top management who know nothing about railroading. Build longer trains to get rid of jobs and "save" money. Build them bigger than many sidings can acommodate and that telemetry between head end and rear end may not work.........
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:12:40 AM EDT
[#2]
It happens quite frequently.  The long trains don’t help but a lot has to do with lack of maintenance.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:18:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It happens quite frequently.  The long trains don’t help but a lot has to do with lack of maintenance
View Quote

....another unfortunate symptom of PSR and the hunter harrison legacy........
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:22:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Are trains so long now that they are frequently losing comms with their DP's? Lately I have heard quite a bit of radio chatter about the DP not doing this or that. Symptom of PSR?
View Quote

Yes. Happens all the time, they're pushing 10,000 ft now, if the DP is at the end it'll loose com especially when there's a difference in grade, lots of curves, or obstruction like trees/tunnel.

The RF chokes on the  new GE units for 220/GPS/voice/EOT/DP are also trash, as are the antennas. They go bad quite frequently.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:25:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes. Happens all the time, they're pushing 10,000 ft now, if the DP is at the end it'll loose com especially when there's a difference in grade, lots of curves, or obstruction like trees/tunnel.

The RF chokes on the  new GE units for 220/GPS/voice/EOT/DP are also trash, as are the antennas. They go bad quite frequently.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

10,000' is small around here anymore. I heard one talking to another saying he was hanging out over two blocks, over 14,000'......
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:26:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, and when it fucks up it shuts down things for hours.  They still continue to double up trains everyday and burn through more crews than they use to.  Them dawg catches come out of a different budget tho
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:28:47 AM EDT
[#7]
We run 16k down here on southern transcon
Nothing over 8500’ fit on the fuel pads so it frogs everything up and the only thing that makes it is z trains
And they are doubling some of those to
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:29:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Question, I know next to nothing about trains, but if it’s an RF issue, can’t they put a repeater in the middle of the train?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:30:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

10,000' is small around here anymore. I heard one talking to another saying he was hanging out over two blocks, over 14,000'......
View Quote

That's nuts. Thats like .3 hp/ton. Gotta love HH.

They'd never make legal tail end flow here with how cold it gets in the winter.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:34:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Question, I know next to nothing about trains, but if it’s an RF issue, can’t they put a repeater in the middle of the train?
View Quote

They could, but won't. It'd have to be in a railcar, and they get moved around so much it's just another thing to keep track of.  Plus then it'd be a PITA to link the tail to the lead, now you'd have to stop in the middle and link the repeater as well. The more crap they try add around here, the more it breaks and causes problems.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:36:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They could, but won't. It'd have to be in a railcar, and they get moved around so much it's just another thing to keep track of.  Plus then it'd be a PITA to link the tail to the lead, now you'd have to stop in the middle and link the repeater as well. The more crap they try add around here, the more it breaks and causes problems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sat comms between headend and DP would probably make more sense.......
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:43:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
probably make more sense.......
View Quote

Have you worked around here?

That's the last thing they want to do
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:46:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
probably make more sense.......

Ain't that the truth. We are truly screwed. The union is retarded, the company is retarded. We are living in the twilight zone.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:21:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Can’t spell stupid without UP! 15,000 ft trains around St Louis
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Can’t spell stupid without UP! 15,000 ft trains around St Louis
View Quote

Lol, truth!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I left when they started DP-ing everything at CSX. They’ve had a lot of mishaps lately in the Cincinnati area, and I imagine system wide.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I left when they started DP-ing everything at CSX. They’ve had a lot of mishaps lately in the Cincinnati area, and I imagine system wide.
View Quote

I think there has been an uptick in incidents since they started all this.  Derailments, broken knuckles, delays out the woo-hoo..........
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

CSX had a derailment yesterday near Hagerstown, MD. They were pulling a very long train and a car split in halve, derailing about 20 cars behind it. Train length was over 16,000 ft, from reports. On the H Line. No injuries.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#19]
10,000ft trains have been around long before PSR was a buzzword.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:08:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
10,000ft trains have been around long before PSR was a buzzword.
View Quote

Not 16k train tho
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#21]
They had a 16k go on the ground around joe city Arizona Sunday on the southern transcon so shot fukked up like a soup sandwich out here right now.  Wiped out both mains
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top