Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2020 9:20:45 PM EDT
This thread is for the watch forum, so don't get all hissy about it being a dupe.

Clive Cussler passed today at the age of 88. Mr. Cussler was many things, author, explorer, and watch enthusiast. Without his Dirk Pitt books many would have never heard of a Doxa...

http://www.doxa300t.com/misc/clivewatch.htm

Link Posted: 2/27/2020 12:43:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I have read many of his books.

Right smack dab in the middle of a Mack Bolan novel at its worst and a Clancy at his peak.
Which is a complement and I liked them.

He turned out novels like a Boss.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 1:33:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Had not heard this.

I'll put on my 1500 when I get home.

RIP Sir.

And, yes, Sahara was a good movie.

Link Posted: 3/10/2020 11:00:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Just read this news.  

My late father introduced me to the Dirk Pitt series of books when I was a teenager; it was something we shared before he passed away when I was in college.  Since then, I've owned a few Doxas.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:00:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m a little late to seeing this thread, but I’m wondering if anyone can answer a question. I’ve wanted a DOXA off and on for years, but the timing and funds were never lined up. Ever since Mr. Cussler’s passing, the idea has surfaced again. It had been a few years since I had checked out the DOXA website. I recall reading about their association with Mr. Cussler through Dirk Pitt as well as NUMA. If memory serves, they even had a NUMA branded watch some years ago.

So the past few days, I started checking out their site and found it is completely devoid of any mention of Cussler, Pitt or NUMA. I find it very odd. It would be similar to surfing Omega’s website and finding no mention of their association to James Bond.

Does anyone know the story behind DOXA removing the references?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 3:40:42 AM EDT
[#6]
@np149

This is merely a guess, but the Jenny family fairly recently restructured the company and the gentleman who resurrected the brand and made the watches for the last 30 years or so that are now classics is no longer involved with the brand.

They’ve redesigned most of the line-up and seem to have consolidated a bit.

For years the divers were the only watches available in the US. I hear they’ll be expanding the rest of their line here, but I’m not sure.

I have four Doxa subs currently and am torn... I love the ones I have but the new direction makes me somewhat wary of considering new stuff.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 7:59:34 AM EDT
[#7]
@oirogers

Thanks for the information. I was out of the “watch loop” for a while. The website redesign was so stark, I was seriously questioning if I was remembering it correctly!

Do you know if the redesigned line-up is a move towards the in house thus more expensive direction Omega took a few years ago or are they said to be going with outside parts and dressing them up. I see they still use ETA movements but I wonder if they outsource anything else.

I also wonder if they are going to expand their line in the US if they will have boutiques or if they will allow jewelry stores to carry them.

I’ve only ever seen one in person and it was an older model a coworker owns. I think I knew more about the lore than he did. He bought it new a long time ago and it was showing it’s age when I got to handle it. It seemed very well made and he had zero complaints about it.

I’m not in a position at the moment to buy one, and even if I wanted too they are sold out of the orange dials on the website. I think I will start saving up and when the money is there, take another look around.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I know the orange is THE Doxa,
But I’ve kept meaning to get one of those black shark hunters for about a decade and never remember to, have found something else, just spent money on something different, etc.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Love Doxa and definitely need to get into the Cussler books.

FYI, might be letting this go. Just picked up a 300T for a deal I couldn't pass up.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top