Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2021 2:32:13 PM EDT
Looking for something that will last! What sealer have you had at least a year and are still happy with?
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Vacmaster VP215
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 2:47:23 PM EDT
[#2]
VacMaster VP215 Chamber Vacuum Sealer. This thing is HEAVY.  I've used a friends for about 8 yrs. Final bought my own this year. Chamber bags are a lot cheaper than roll bags. We went through a lot of the cheap foodsaver sealers.
Amazon Product
  • Equipped with a 1/4 HP rotary oil pump that can manage larger loads.
  • Heavy-duty yet easy to use, the VP215 extends food's shelf life up to five times longer.
  • A double seal on each bag ensures a complete and lasting seal that's twice as strong as other machines.

Link Posted: 8/19/2021 7:41:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Weston 2300
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
VacMaster VP215 Chamber Vacuum Sealer. This thing is HEAVY.  I've used a friends for about 8 yrs. Final bought my own this year. Chamber bags are a lot cheaper than roll bags. We went through a lot of the cheap foodsaver sealers.
www.amazon.com/dp/B005ETDKEA
View Quote

I've been lusting over a chamber vac machine for a while. So far I've been unable to justify the cost; at least until my supply of ribbed vac bags is exhausted.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Looking for something that will last! What sealer have you had at least a year and are still happy with?
View Quote

The Foodsaver that CostCo sells.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 12:07:52 AM EDT
[#6]
weston 2100. the painted version of the 2300, only cheaper. mine is built like a tank.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had a foodsaver for years. Just keep it clean and change the gaskets every once in awhile.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 12:25:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had the Weston Pro 2300 and now have the VacMaster VP-215.
Both are excellent machines. VacMaster is superior, But I wish i had kept the Weston for doing larger pieces of meat.
I've been running the VP215 for 5 yrs now no issues. Just keep the oil changed. Bags are cheap as shit in comparison.
My Weston that my buddy now has is going on 10 yrs old with 0 issues. He did have to change the seal tape.

Beat part of the 215 I can seal liquids. It also provides a better vacuum and seal. I've pulled shrimp that was forgotten and 16 months old. Still tasted fresh
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to get so pissed at the food saver bags losing their seal over time in the freezer.  Bought a LEM chamber sealer and its the shit.  No more liquid trying to escape and the food stays totally sealed.  Buy once, cry once.

Link Posted: 9/7/2021 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Vacmaster VP215
View Quote

totally this.

I have had mine for 6+ years and you can't kill it.  Got 100 bags to seal, no worries.  Does the job.  Customer service is quite excellent too.  Those guys know their products well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 11:50:53 AM EDT
[#12]
What kind of bags does the vac master use?
What makes it 900 dollars better than a food saver?
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 2:49:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would like to read an answer to this question also.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 12:10:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Chamber vac machines don't require the special expense ridged/channeled bags, plain smooth bags can be used at a fraction of the price. IIRC, the bags cost less than 10% of the foodsaver type bags.

Additionally, you can seal liquids and foods with high liquid content bc the machine isn't sucking air out of the inside of the bags only, it's being removed all around the bag as well so the liquids will stay in the bag.

Commercially sealed food products are done in chamber vacs. If you get something from your local butcher and it's vac sealed it was done in a chamber vac.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Chamber vac machines don't require the special expense ridged/channeled bags, plain smooth bags can be used at a fraction of the price. IIRC, the bags cost less than 10% of the foodsaver type bags.

Additionally, you can seal liquids and foods with high liquid content bc the machine isn't sucking air out of the inside of the bags only, it's being removed all around the bag as well so the liquids will stay in the bag.

Commercially sealed food products are done in chamber vacs. If you get something from your local butcher and it's vac sealed it was done in a chamber vac.
View Quote

Thank you!
Thats one of the most frustrating parts. Trying to cook marinated chicken sous vide and that juice being sucked out and seal ruined.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I have an old school foodsaver that still works great. Two things I have found is: 1) cheap bags are cheap and suck and 2) I double seal everything.  It serves me well but I will likely be looking at a chamber sealer when this one dies.

I do vacuum seal a lot of large pieces of meat though like ribs, full loins, etc. It seems a lot cheaper to do those with a traditional sealer because a chamber big enough to do those are pricey!
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Weston 2300 owner here.  The thing is awesome and is a huge upgrade from the typical foodsaver style vacuum sealers.  

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
www.amazon.com/dp/B005ETDKEA
View Quote

How big of a cut of meat could I get in that thing?
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:49:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

I bought this in August based on recommendations posted in various GD threads.  It replaces my cheapy $15 Rival that I have used for the last 15 years.

It normally sells for around $125 IIRC, but is on sale for $70.45.   I bought a second one as a Christmas gift for my SIL.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#21]
@ColdboreDreamer

While I have not had mine (above) for a year, I have probably already used it more than most people would in that time frame.  Smoking, sealing and freezing lots of BB Ribs, Butts, & Brisket for my 90 yo Mom, my sister & my niece.  I always take some home when I go back to Alabama to visit.  They asked me to bring even more with me this time.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for all the solid recommendations!

Don't know if I'm ready to plunge in for multiple hundreds yet. Happy to read some of the less expensive options are still solid.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 6:33:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Food saver. Think we’ve had the same one since we got married and have the jar attachment to seal 1/2 gallon jars of rice and beans when we break down the bulk bags. Works well for us.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 6:55:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Weston 15”. I’ve had mine about 15 years. They put them on sale now and then.
Buy once.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm think I'm finally going to break down and buy a chamber vac sealer.  Here's a rundown of my 20 minutes worth of research thus far:

Vac Master VP 215 (recommended several times above, and loved by two of my buddies who also own) $1029 (Webstaurant)
-1/5 HP
-11" x 15" x 5" chamber
-1 year warranty

LEM Max Vac Pro $650 (Costco)
-1/4 HP
-13" x 16" x 3.25" chamber
-5 year warranty

Weston Pro 2500 $800
-14" x 12" x 4" chamber
-2 year warranty

On paper the LEM looks pretty good, other than it's not very deep.  The warranty and price appear to kill the Weston and Vac Master.

ETA, that 3.25" deep chamber would start getting a little snug with big deer loins and maybe with some pork rib cuts.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I think I'm going to go with the VP 215.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I think I'm going to go with the VP 215.
View Quote

You might look at the VP230 also it's a little bigger. Would be handy for larger cuts.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You might look at the VP230 also it's a little bigger. Would be handy for larger cuts.
View Quote

I see that.  Quick review shows that $210 gets you 2" wider sealing bar, and 1/2 HP as opposed to the 1/4 HP.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 8:53:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Just to follow up, I purchased a VacMaster 215 from the local butcher supply store for $1K.  He said his next shipment would be $50 or so higher, and I had read similar comments about pricing online.  I was tempted by the VacPak-It VMC10OP, which a friend uses for their family butchering (like 5 or 6 hogs in a day type operation) which is $200 cheaper and very similar on paper, but ultimately I knew more folks that had the 215, and I have the local customer support should I need it.  The butcher supply store also had a VacMaster VP230 which has twice the HP and 2" wider sealing bar (mentioned above) for $1,250 (IIRC).  If I had a bigger operation, I would have considered it, but for my small family I couldn't justify it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 11:58:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Excellent choice. You will love. Just remember to change the oil.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Excellent choice. You will love. Just remember to change the oil.
View Quote

Yep the store owner said the first oil change was scheduled at like 50 hours, but when I described my use as likely less than ten hours/year, he suggested that for no more than the oil costs, just change it once per year.  I think that's the route I'll go.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 1:34:38 PM EDT
[#33]
The Weston Pro 2300 has some very bad reviews on Amazon...

Any thoughts on the 1100? It has an accessory port and bag cutter/holder.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#34]
see below
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#35]
I ended up with a Weston Pro 1100, I couldn't justify the 2100.

Also couldn't justify a vacuum chamber yet. So I fully expect to be selling that 1100 in a year and buying a vacuum chamber :)
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a cheap ziploc brand one that I've used for 5 years. I've sealed hundreds of pounds of chicken and beef. I hit the Costco business center and buy in bulk.

I'm thinking of adding a better one to run two at a time. One trick I use for juicy stuff is to make my bag put my food in it and freeze it. Then take it out and vacuum seal it frozen, no mess.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#37]
There's a clip on YouTube about vacuum sealing outside of a chamber sealer.  Might be useful info for some here.  I'd love to paste a link, but Chrome is XXXXL gay apparently.

Search "External Sealing in a Chamber Vacuum Sealer" on YouTube.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Form a ring of meat and try to pull it down in the food saver. Atmospheric pressure will preseal the meat and center won't get evacuated.

Chamber machines are superior in every way except cost.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
There's a clip on YouTube about vacuum sealing outside of a chamber sealer.  Might be useful info for some here.  I'd love to paste a link, but Chrome is XXXXL gay apparently.

Search "External Sealing in a Chamber Vacuum Sealer" on YouTube.
View Quote

We did rifles for dod like that. Use a foil bone guard bag and they're sealed forever.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 10:21:12 AM EDT
[#40]
This thing seems extremely solid. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#41]
I received my Avid Armor USV-32 a couple weeks back.  I have been repackaging all the steaks in my freez.  I just did some fresh rib eyes yesterday and processed 10 fryers and several packages of wings and thighs.  This thing sucks.

I bought the 4 year warranty, which is something I would normally avoid, but I expect a high level of abuse for this thing.  (the warranty covers shipping too, if necessary)

Another store, same chain, had fryers at $0.49 a pound.

I also wet marinated a bunch of thighs last weekend using the vacuum and shrink wrapped a left over meatloaf.  This thing rocks! The USV-32 has been out of stock and is currently out, but I hit the order window as soon as one was available.

Damn wing prices still at $3.50/lb plus, which is recockulous. I cut the wings off every one of these, just to have affordable happy hour last Friday.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Dang, not even drinking....
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Attachment Attached File

Currently on sale at Costco.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top