BCM
User Panel

RECIPE: Cheap Meals (Page 4 of 4)
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Did someone say beans?

Tried this for lunch today...1lb of Johnsonville Firecracker sausages, 1 can of beans, 1 can of refried beans.  Remove sausage casings and brown the meat, add the beans (don't drain the regular beans dump it all in), simmer for a bit.

I was just going to do beans & sausage, but I only had one can of beans.  Had already started, so it was hominy or refried.  Went with the refried beans...glad I did, this was really tasty.  It's like high-fiber chili.  I think the sausages are limited time only, but I'll add this to the lunch rotation until they're gone.  Good for a couple of lunches at least.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Twelvepack:
Did someone say beans?

Tried this for lunch today...1lb of Johnsonville Firecracker sausages, 1 can of beans, 1 can of refried beans.  Remove sausage casings and brown the meat, add the beans (don't drain the regular beans dump it all in), simmer for a bit.

I was just going to do beans & sausage, but I only had one can of beans.  Had already started, so it was hominy or refried.  Went with the refried beans...glad I did, this was really tasty.  It's like high-fiber chili.  I think the sausages are limited time only, but I'll add this to the lunch rotation until they're gone.  Good for a couple of lunches at least.
View Quote
Yea beans rice and taters will cheap down any meal fixins for sure as they are all easily purchased in large quantities and fairly low cost.

What you save for meals just may get spent on toilet paper though

I find myself eating way less of all 3 I just mentioned ( beans rice and taters ) - I am 57yo and see myself consuming far less food than in previous years. part of getting old I think. Taters I like better than rice or beans. Beans my least fav as they make me feel bloated

None of the 3 are real high on nutritional value ( mostly filler for meals vs the actual protein and other stuff I would rather have )
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 8:29:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: swampfoxoutdoors] [#3]
BBQ Vinegar Style chicken

This is a old fire department recipe. The dept that this comes from cooks around 2K chickens halves 2 times a year and sells out quickly.

Sauce
-2 gallons of White House Apple Cider vinegar (has to be this brand)
-8 Cups of Wesson Oil
-8 Table Spoons of Poultry Seasoning
-8 table spoons of black pepper
-5.5 cups of salt

Bring to boil and make sure all salt is dissolved. Can be stored in back in Vinegar jugs or mason jars at room temp. shake sauce well before use.

Chicken halves or Chicken quarters or chicken strips all will work. The Strips can get dried out. Place on grill and brown lightly and mop chicken every 10min and turn over. Should be done in less than 30min depending on thickness and amount.

Pro tip*- pour sauce in mason jar while mopping chicken, do not use full mason jar. Will contaminate with raw chicken.
Pro tip*- when re heating chicken place in large freezer zip lock bag pour in 1/2 cup of sauce and reheat in microwave. Flip chicken/ bag every 15-30 seconds and repeat this over a few min. Will keep the chicken very moist and possibly add some carcinogens

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 8:39:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: swampfoxoutdoors] [#4]
Grilled PBJ

Mix peanut nut butter and jelly in bowl. I like to have mine a little strong on the PB side.

Butter 2 slices of bread and place in pan and let them brown. Right as they are nearing that perfect golden brown buttery perfection add PBJ mixture place one on top and allow to finish.

The PBJ mix will get warm and gooey. Leaving it in the pan too long will make it super runny which is not what you want.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 10:33:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's two:

1. you need an Instant Pot or Power Pressure Cooker

3 frozen chicken breasts
16oz broth or water
dollop of butter
some Mrs Dash or Salt & Pepper, garlic powder for seasoning
1 can cream of mushroom/chicken/celery

whisk it all together and cook on HIGH for 25 mins-fast release pressure and remove chicken and shred it

toss shredded chicken back in and add some diced onions and half a bag of egg noodles or half box of Penne

Cook on HIGH for 6-8 mins and fast release again.  Incredible chicken and noodles dish

2. you need some cooked rice, or buy a CHEAP rice cooker and prep up some white rice in it

1-2 cups cooked white rice
16oz package frozen mixed veggies, mostly thawed under running warm water
1/2 white onion
2 tbsp oil
soy sauce
1 egg

heat the oil and saute the onion until nearly clear, add the veggies and season with salt until near tender.  Move veggies to edges of the pan and crack the egg into the center and scramble it, quickly add the rice and some soy sauce for color and stir fry all of it together until blended well.  Serve on a plate with some shredded rotisserie chicken mixed in if you have it.  It is glorious!
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By StrkAliteN:

None of the 3 are real high on nutritional value ( mostly filler for meals vs the actual protein and other stuff I would rather have )
View Quote
Uh, beans are like one of the most nutritious foods on the planet.  They count as both vegetables and plant-based protein.  If you look at it from purely nutritional standpoint, beans aren't a filler...everything else is just a flavoring for the beans.

http://beaninstitute.com/bean-nutrition-overview/
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:26:48 PM EDT
[#7]
We did cornbread and buttermilk tonight, also had some skillet fried hotdogs.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#8]
classic casserole that we like, pretty cheap if you pick up items on sale.

1 rotisserie chicken, meat pulled (or just use breasts if you get em on sale)
2 cups cooked white rice or whatever you have leftover
2-3 cups frozen chopped broccoli (we use 1/2 bag)
1 bag shredded cheddar cheese, less if you like but we like it gooey
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1/2- 1 cup milk, until texture is how you like it

mix it all together in a casserole and bake for 30 minutes at 375.  this version gets a few meals, but you can halve it for 1 good sized meal.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 11:23:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StrkAliteN] [#9]
Uh, beans are like one of the most nutritious foods on the planet.  They count as both vegetables and plant-based protein.  If you look at it from purely nutritional standpoint, beans aren't a filler...everything else is just a flavoring for the beans.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You keep on eating beans ... I will keep grilling steaks and chicken and having sausage and bacon 6/7 days a week

Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:
Grilled PBJ

Mix peanut nut butter and jelly in bowl. I like to have mine a little strong on the PB side.

Butter 2 slices of bread and place in pan and let them brown. Right as they are nearing that perfect golden brown buttery perfection add PBJ mixture place one on top and allow to finish.

The PBJ mix will get warm and gooey. Leaving it in the pan too long will make it super runny which is not what you want.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/424008/F43E05C8-3430-404D-A255-DC07C9A3476E-676250.JPG
This ^

or a simple grilled cheese sandwich. You can get a huge block of Tillamook sharp cheddar at Costco that can make 100 grilled cheese sandwichs for around $8. A few loafs of bread from Costco and you can eat grilled cheese sandwich every lunch for a month and have less than $10 total invested
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 8:09:28 AM EDT
[#10]
You can get a huge block of Tillamook sharp cheddar at Costco that can make 100 grilled cheese sandwichs for around $8. A few loafs of bread from Costco and you can eat grilled cheese sandwich every lunch for a month and have less than $10 total invested
View Quote
I do mine with an egg now.  Tried it once and my daughter insists on having her grilled cheese sammiches this way every time.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/hangover-toad-in-the-hole-grilled-cheese-sandwich-3364354
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:18:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chas8008] [#11]
The photos are a little out of order but what you're looking at is dinner for a week for less than $15
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:26:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:27:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:28:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 4:10:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Bump.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 11:26:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Over the years, here's my cheap, quick, and happy meal:

Camble's Tomato Soup
Shrimp Top Ramen with flavor packet
Two cans water
1 tbs sugar
other spices as you like.  give it some kicks.  
Simmer it until the Ramen is cooked.  It gets thick like Spaghettios.

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Homemade pizza dough
Sauce
Cheese

Profit?
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:41:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Tag
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#20]
With pork being about the cheapest meat you can buy right now, how many of these recipes can be adapted using it?

I bought a pound of ground pork and it was about half the price of a pound of beef. We made tacos out of it using your usual seasoning of choice and they were outstanding. It also makes a nice meatloaf but then a lot of your old-fashioned meatloaf recipes used beef and pork.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 12:17:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Ground pork is great if you make cabbage rolls.  I prefer it to beef.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 12:29:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Beans and cornbread has saved my life many times.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Gopher:
With pork being about the cheapest meat you can buy right now, how many of these recipes can be adapted using it?

I bought a pound of ground pork and it was about half the price of a pound of beef. We made tacos out of it using your usual seasoning of choice and they were outstanding. It also makes a nice meatloaf but then a lot of your old-fashioned meatloaf recipes used beef and pork.
View Quote

This is probably one of my favorite ground pork recipes, and you can use cheap ramen if you like.

Pork Ramen
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Refried beans:

Two cups of pinto beans.
Quarter cup lard, bacon grease, shortening or canola oil.
salt to taste.
spices (I usually go with 1/2tsp orgenao, 1tsp cumin (that's a lot of cumin, if you don't like lots of cumin, go 1/4 to 1/2), 1TBS garlic powder, 1TBS chipotle powder).

Put beans in crock pot with plenty of water and salt (to taste) on low for at least 8 hours. I've left them for 3 days one time. The longer the better.

Drain beans and retain one cup of water.

Add fat to a pot and heat to medium.

Add beans. Stir vigorously. Add spices as you stir. If stirring doesn't mash the beans, use a potato masher. Add water until the beans are the right consistency. I like my beans a bit runnier if served as a side, or thicker if going in a burrito.

If you wish to make burritos, I make a mixture of ground beef, onions and habaneros which I add to the beans as I stir them.

If making this as a side, you make enough refried beans to serve as a side to four people. For maybe 50 cents.

Link Posted: 6/6/2021 9:47:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By HKUSP45C:

Jesus, some people's kids.

Fajita shell ... what's next?

ETA: Hell, even Google told me to fuck myself when I searched for it. It was like "Did you mean fajita sauce?" Which is just as stupid.
View Quote

Well I heard barbecue sauce called 'Rib Goo' once.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 1:46:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Beans and Meat - not a chili recipe

1 can of chunky chili meat, no beans.

1 can of Ranch Style Beans with jalapenos.

Mix the two.  Nuke or heat however.

Top with chopped green onions, chopped fresh jalapenos and shredded cheese.  

Optional:  Dollop of sour cream

Link Posted: 5/27/2023 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By masfonos:
I'm in.  I like eating and I like keeping my money.
View Quote

Me this post is great
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#28]
2 lbs chicken (whatever you like, we use boneless thighs bought on sale)
1 16oz bottle of green salsa (we use herdez brand, always buy it on sale)
pack of mushroom or other veggies, or none!

Season chicken and add it to instant pot with jar of salsa.  Cook 20 minutes.  Serve over rice.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 4:57:09 PM EDT
[#29]
We did a ham in the crock pot.  Use orange juice and Mt Dew in the crock pot with the ham.  Cut it up, mix it with some white rice and red beans.  I added some seasoning, but you can add whatever you want.  Pretty good and it lasted my family of 4 (2 teens) for 2 days.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Take a pork loin, cover with one package of Lipton Onion Soup mix, and top with 3 TBS of minced garlic, 3 TBS soy sauce, add one cup water and 2/3 cup red wine to the crock pot plus veggies of your choice. I added small potatoes, carrots, celery, and mushrooms might be good too. Cook on low for 4-5 hours until the pork is done to a temperature of your liking. Makes it own gravy.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Tagged. How is this still going and not archived yet? I'll post something soon.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
RECIPE: Cheap Meals (Page 4 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top