Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2019 12:17:38 PM EDT
In 2007, one of my Word documents allowed me to store several pieces of information: Book title, page number, author and then the quote that I wanted to preserve. I can then organize it by category depending on what I am and how I am wanting to store it.

Well, I am now using Office 365 and this feature is not found. I have tried to use One Note but found that to be very bulky and clunky. I had thought of using Excel but again, no real way to categorize anything the way I want.

What do you all, especially if you are a writer, use to keep and retain quotes to pull up later? What system is there? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds more like a Spread Sheet in Excel and or Database interface like Microsoft Access...

Word is more like a word processor for writing a research paper, letter, memo or some other type of document.

I'm no expert on Excel, but I use it for storing all kinds of info and I can sort by column if need be.

jmho, YMMV and others may differ...  :)
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#2]
In excel you can do different tabs across the bottom (and name them whatever you want) for different categories? Just a thought.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In excel you can do different tabs across the bottom (and name them whatever you want) for different categories? Just a thought.
View Quote
Thank you for your thoughts. I had thought about that and actually tried it. For small amount of quotes, it works great. What I run into problems is when I end up with some odd 1,000 quotes that sometimes can be put into other places and then trying to organize the bottom of the excel.

I am about ready to start another book that has over 1000 pages and I know there will be a few in there that I want to preserve.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thank you for your thoughts. I had thought about that and actually tried it. For small amount of quotes, it works great. What I run into problems is when I end up with some odd 1,000 quotes that sometimes can be put into other places and then trying to organize the bottom of the excel.

I am about ready to start another book that has over 1000 pages and I know there will be a few in there that I want to preserve.
View Quote
Sounds like you really need a database and one that maybe you can add tags too...

So you can catalog or sort by
Author
Title
Subject
Date
Publisher
Page

then also add #Tags to it, as many quotes may be used for different things or reasons.

A long time ago I had a database/app/search tool for Graphic Images that I used for a Sign and Printing Business.
Once the graphics were in, I could sort by any number of categories or tags (that I created, for each image) and that was so useful, vs just trying to come up with a good descriptive file name for each image.

If you come across a word doc that does what you want, I'd be interested to see it or a few screen shots of it...  
I know all the Office apps are at least some what customizable to really customizable.   Always something new to learn.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Here are two Online Searchable Databases for Inspiration.

http://www.famousquotesandauthors.com/

https://www.successories.com/iquote/keywords

I did not see the ability to search by tags though.  I find that so useful.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here are two Online Searchable Databases for Inspiration.

http://www.famousquotesandauthors.com/

https://www.successories.com/iquote/keywords

I did not see the ability to search by tags though.  I find that so useful.
View Quote
The database idea is exactly what I am looking for!

The two links you have are good! Thanks!

I am going to see if I can find anything that would work. If I can, I will send you a note.

Eta @smullen

I sent a pm. Zotero.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top