User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:11:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And what? Even if you have cash on hand, it won't change anything; you'll just have more toilet paper on hand.
View Quote

Don’t have to raid Costco for TP if you already have all your cash on hand.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:14:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have plausible explanation.

A massive amount of people have fled the cities and bought property in the suburbs and rural areas across the country as a result of COVID and the riots and the election. Those people do not appear to have sold their places in the cities because the moves were so quick and around here they still have their out of state car tags.

That means they must have had the money to be able to buy a new property without selling their old property. That money probably came from savings accounts and money market fund accounts which are liquid and moved into accounts that are more liquid like checking accounts to close on these property.

It is not unreasonable to suggest $ 700 Billion was taken out of savings and money market accounts and put into checking accounts and then that money was spent on second homes outside of cities. We know those real estate areas have gone nuts with prices doubling in a year in many places.

That money had to come from someplace. I am willing to be if someone could do the numbers on dollars of real estate transactions it would end up being about a $700 Billion dollar increase.

Am I wrong? AM I missing something?

View Quote

I think that is happening but I dont think it is that quick of a turn.  I think that is s ok mething we are going to see over the next 2 years.  How much of that is at once will be dependent on several factors.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Whenever I see or hear the word "harbinger" I get hungry.
View Quote

I think of werewolf with a southern accent...
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Just did it myself by adding the Total Savings Deposits line via "Edit Graph".
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/307850/Screen_Shot_2021-01-27_at_6_01_52_PM_png-1799872.JPG
View Quote

Thank you for helping us lazy folk.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:19:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Doge hits 1 dollar!!!!!!  I'll be rich!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:21:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Edit Graph -> Add Line -> Search for "Total Savings Deposits at all Depository Institutions" -> Add Series
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

how do you add total savings deposits?

Edit Graph -> Add Line -> Search for "Total Savings Deposits at all Depository Institutions" -> Add Series

Thanks,

I can't find the raw numbers, those are seasonally adjusted which may be introducing errors since the numbers for this season are anything but normal
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm beginning to wonder if the $GME kerfuffle is going to have a ripple effect in the market. Something sure as hell spooked the market yesterday. I'm beginning to wonder if a lot of short sellers (hedge funds and others) are having to liquidate their stawks to cover their losses. If it's a big enough disruption, it will have a cascade effect on the market as a whole with lots of folks getting hit with a margin call and/or the need to sell to cover losses.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:28:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm beginning to wonder if the $GME kerfuffle is going to have a ripple effect in the market. Something sure as hell spooked the market yesterday. I'm beginning to wonder if a lot of short sellers (hedge funds and others) are having to liquidate their stawks to cover their losses. If it's a big enough disruption, it will have a cascade effect on the market as a whole with lots of folks getting hit with a margin call and/or the need to sell to cover losses.
View Quote

That very scenario was discussed in a few of the GME threads.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whenever I see or hear the word "harbinger" I get hungry.

Yep.  Earl.  And Julie.  All MHI references no matter what they are lead to thoughts of Julie.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My savings are in fidget spinners. On Monday I'm gonna make millions.
View Quote

You fool! I put mine in Beanie Babies, see ya at the Lambo dealer sucka!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Actually planning on doing something very similar. Leave $5k in for paying the bills. Pay down the mortgage by like half. Take the rest out in cash over a couple of days or weeks.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:51:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What is a savings account?
View Quote

My butler tells me a bank is where middle class people keep money that isn't properly invested.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Wife raided my wallet to get her hairs did.  My savings account is now empty.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:19:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Getting financial advice from youtube is worse than getting financial advice from arfcom.
View Quote

And then there is the multiplication factor arfcom X youtube = 0.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Well it is a way of fixing the national debt.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My savings account is in my safe in $100 bills. I have no use for banks other than my direct deposit
View Quote

In this thread we figure out who doesn't understand fractional reserve banking, inflation, etc.

Keeping those dollars in your safe doesn't save you from what's coming...probably just the opposite.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top