Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2020 4:30:00 AM EDT
My current TV is not a "smart TV" - Samsung Plasma.
I tried hooking up the DTV box to the intard webz once, I tired to download a movie and I tried to stream a movie, neither worked because my intardwebz connection is a DSL that's slow.

I can watch movies streamed from Netflix and Amazon using their standard definition download speeds using a wireless connection from my laptop.

I am looking at buying a new TV, they all seem to be some sort of smart TV.
My question is this - Does a smart TV need to be hooked up to the intardwebz all the time to work as a TV?
Or will I get all sorts of alerts, warnings and notices that the TV needs an intardwebz source.

I did the Google thing and I looked in this forum, I didn't find an answer I was looking for.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 4:35:59 AM EDT
[#1]
It will work fine with no internet.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 4:36:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It will work fine with no internet.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 4:38:20 AM EDT
[#3]
TV does not have to be hooked up to internet but it will need to be for software/firmware updates and DSL will work fine.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 4:42:31 AM EDT
[#4]
My TV isn't a smart TV thus I use either my Xbox 1 or PS3. Mainly my Xbox 1 for streaming cause after I got it I really don't use my PS3 other than a few games.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 4:48:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My TV isn't a smart TV thus I use either my Xbox 1 or PS3. Mainly my Xbox 1 for streaming cause after I got it I really don't use my PS3 other than a few games.
View Quote
I have no idea what those are and I have no desire to learn (not a gamer).
I wireless my laptop from the router and I HDMI the laptop into the TV.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 4:55:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Run a wire from your router to your TV.  Wireless is for portable things, and sucks for trying to watch TV.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 4:58:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Since your question has already been answered I would like to add that if you set-up a pi-hole it will block all those adds and commercials.  I set my router to use DCHP  and now my smart frig doesn't tell the gubermint how much meat I eat.  Lol.   Of course I only use the T.V. to watch Lions games.

This should get you going if you're interested:
Why you need a network-wide ad blocker
Setting up a pi-hole step-by-step
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 5:00:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I am a PC gamer and got those for some games to play. If you have a laptop with HDMI output then you are good to go just got to get the apps and then change the display to the TV. The console like Xbox just is easy for most of it till you have to put in email and password. That is a bitch without a keyboard.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 5:07:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Run a wire from your router to your TV.  Wireless is for portable things, and sucks for trying to watch TV.
View Quote
I did. DSL is too slow no matter if it's wired or wireless for the DTV streaming stuff.

Using Amazon or Netflix wired won't get me HD TV, the DSL is too slow.

Using SD I can wireless it or I can use a wire, it doesn't matter. Wireless is easier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top