Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2023 9:44:48 PM EDT
Brothers.  Been a Mason for almost 48 years.  Began under the jurisdiction of the GL of Philippines while in Tokyo.  Moved to Arkansas and moved through the chairs.  PM of Marion 686.   I have now moved to another state and find that the petition includes the following question “Do you believe in the resurrection of the body?” To which an affirmative answer is required for approval.  What say all of you?  I am told that the GM declared this to be a requirement almost 100 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 12:22:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#1]
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Whatever state that is, I guess they don't allow Jews to join Masonry!
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Not a question here in TX
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 12:04:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR15thur] [#4]
https://msgrandlodge.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/petition_three_degrees.pdf
Definitely a question on the petition

I don't see a form for transferring from state to state, but I'm probably missing it.

Edit: would this be it?
https://msgrandlodge.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/no5b.pdf
If so it makes no mention of the requirement.

If it were indeed made a hundred years ago, Lodges weren't quite as open back then religiously as its understood to be now. I can't quote the exact year offhand but it was surprisingly recent when the NMJ of the Scottish Rite began allowing Jewish men (and perhaps others, I'm not sure) to receive the 18th degree and up.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#5]
The first three questions? 👍

Number four? 🥴
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:55:17 AM EDT
[#6]
This is not a question on GA Petition for the Degrees. We do ask if the petitioner believes in the existence of a Supreme Being.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:07:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gwnga:
This is not a question on GA Petition for the Degrees. We do ask if the petitioner believes in the existence of a Supreme Being.
View Quote
And that is all we ask in MA also.

Since Masonry is NOT a religious organization, basically demanding that only Christians are allowed to join seems to be against the tenets of Masonry!

I know that the  allegories of Masonry are deeply related to building of the Temple and events in the early days of Christianity.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:19:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Not a good look for Mississippi
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:20:32 PM EDT
[#9]
That’s the key question.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I sure agree with LenS
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 2:11:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#11]
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 7:58:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
Are you affiliating?  That question is not on that form.

https://msgrandlodge.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/no5e.pdf

The petition for degrees includes those questions but it is not stated they are disqualifiers. I would need to see GL Code to offer an opinion on that.

https://msgrandlodge.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/petition_three_degrees.pdf
View Quote
If I knew those questions were on a membership form, it would certainly give me pause about affiliating even if I weren't asked those questions.

I tend to avoid places when I feel that I would not be welcomed, and that series of questions definitely tells me that I wouldn't be welcomed!
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Everyone needs to remember there is no overriding Masonic entity. Every jurisdiction has their own rules and requirements. Each does what works for them. If their members want change there’s a means to do that. If not, that’s their choice.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 11:18:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top